Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Item Bios....you know I love 'em.
The_Valiant_One
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:40:06 PM
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Hey guys! I've been seeing some of the adds going through for your submissions. Yep, it's alot easier and quicker to add things in the db through the CR 2.0 system!

However, if you can add a small item bio to your submissions, that would be great. If it's a card, it's the info on the back of the card. If it's a comic, it's a small or lengthy summary, first appearance info, or both. It can even be sourced bio info from the manufacturer or publisher's themselves own website.

Remember, Google picks up item bios on items for their search engines. More pick ups from Google means more traffic to CCL. It's a win-win.

So, if you can two minutes to write a bio on your adds, (especially issues) that would be great. No reason not to have them on new books - the info can be pulled from the publisher's own website.

Thanks folks!

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747 ext 103
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com

Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
Xylob
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:48:56 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
The_Valiant_One wrote:
...No reason not to have them on new books - the info can be pulled from the publisher's own website.

Please give credit where credit it due.
Taking the info directly from the publisher's website should include citing your source.

TIA!
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
Joe
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:41:36 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber
I must jump in here too. I must stress the importance of this. The Item Bio is the single most important piece of data that a submitter can contribute. The longer, and more information the better.

With the search engines it is all about content. The more the better. Any history, any unique information, anything that is relevant to that item can be added.

Even things like:

This book is very sought after. It is famous for the smudge on one of the panels on page 10. This happened when Stan Lee drooled on the final print because he was watching a hot girl answer the phones at the front desk. He often makes mention that if he hadn't been married at the time, it would have been a much bigger smudge as he was disciplined enough to pull himself from gawking after only a 3 minute stare.

Also, this book was the last work of artist......

Those are the things I am looking for. That type of information will put CCL on the map!

Steve sat down with me last night and talked about Valliant Comics, and the history of Shadow Man, and how they built their characters, and how they re-launched their characters. I thought WOW, if we had this information, we would be the one stop shop for research.

So, take liberty, and make that Item Bio really jump out of the computer!

Joe Butler
CEO / Founder

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747

Warlock
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:20:11 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Thanks for the comments, Joe & Valiant...the added dimensions about the types of desired info is helpful. My biggest thrill in my CCL participation has been in writing these bios, and I am always conscious of what goes into it.

Certainly, nailing the nuances of the story line are important. Issue keys are huge, but just two days ago I did a bio for Tales to Astonish #94 and...there it was...the first art appearance of my favorite Hulk artist, Herb Trimpe...coming in as inker over Marie Severin pencils...gorgeous stuff and important, as the guy would go on to a 100-issue run on ol' Jade Jaws.

Think I'll go back and add a note!...
The_Valiant_One
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:50:10 AM
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
It can be time consuming sometimes, I realize this. However, it also can be a benefit to CCL in the long run. This gives us relevance. (I mean, as if we don't have enough already...) ;)

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747 ext 103

Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
comicnutz
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:58:00 PM
Groups: Member
Another quick source of some bio info, especially on some of the older books, is the editorial/letters pages of comics. Marvel and DC used to do alot of them, even if its only a line or two. I know they are not much, but some IS better than nothing. And sometimes you can read one book and throw a short bio into 7 or 8 more!

Like Warlock I thoroughly enjoy writing bios myself, but it can be very time consuming, so don't spend as much time on it as I would like...
icarus201
Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:32:01 AM
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host
Y'know I looked at this above, thinking it was posted yesterday, but in fact it was last year.
Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
DocRx8482
Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:49:38 AM
Ganted this is a belated tag to this item, but I to would like to point out that the item bio is a very important part of the data. It does not have to be too much. As little as the story title and a quick two or three lines about the story or plot is great. From my view anymore should actually end up in a review.
"Head to the future,
Run from the past,
Hide from the mirror,
And live in a glass,
What dreams forget the whiskey remembers
" (Eric Church/Marv Green)
Xylob
Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:23:28 PM
DocRx8482 wrote:
Ganted this is a belated tag to this item, but I to would like to point out that the item bio is a very important part of the data. It does not have to be too much. As little as the story title and a quick two or three lines about the story or plot is great...
Indeed - story title is a must (if the issue has one of course)!
As for the plot, let's try not to ruin it on new stuff - you can give a decent plot summary without including spoilers.
Older stuff.... well let's be realistic. Everybody knows that Superman dies in Superman #75 - it's old news so no problem putting that in the issue Bio.
Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
sgriffin
Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:18:30 PM
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Member
Xylob wrote:
Everybody knows that Superman dies in Superman #75

Well - everybody does *now*. Thanks for ruining it! Angry
Megalomaniac Extraordinaire
Xylob
Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:28:06 PM
geez dude, I'm only up to 2008 on my read stack but how far behind are you?
Tongue
Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

padreglcc
Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:28:10 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
sgriffin wrote:
Xylob wrote:
Everybody knows that Superman dies in Superman #75

Well - everybody does *now*. Thanks for ruining it! Angry

Rolling on the Floor
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Problems with the CCL Software or Website? Contact the CCL Helpdesk:
Email: helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
Phone: 615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

Make sure you understand the Forum Rules
Atilla2k
Monday, February 14, 2011 12:47:42 PM
Do Reviews help with this? B/C I've written a couple and later when doing research for other stuff, I haven't seen them pop up in search engine results. Probably a dumb question but I had to ask. Nerd