Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Characters from Other Publishers » Hellboy (Anung Un Rama)
spidey0vs0venom
Thursday, October 04, 2007 10:24:08 AM
Groups: Member
Hellboy

First Appearance: San Diego Comic-Con Comics #2 (1993)

Created By: Mike Mignola

History: Hellboy was originally a demon from hell named Anung Un Rama. Brought to earth by Nazi occultists, Hellboy was rescued by the Allied Forces in World War 2. He was brought to and raised by the United States Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. Hellboy is a large demon with red skin, tail, horns (which he files down) and a stone right hand. He is known as "The Worlds Greatest Paranormal Investigator". At the BRPD, Hellboy works along side other paranormal investigators like his father-figure Professor Trevor Broom, Abe Sapian ( a fish like humanoid), Liz Sherman a pyrokinetic woman, Roger, an unusually large homunculus and Kate Corrigan, a professor of folklore at NY University.

Questions:
Warlock
Monday, March 16, 2009 10:57:04 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
You might want to add that while Professor Trevor Bruttenholm (sounds like Broom) raised Hellboy and located him within the ranks of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.), the Professor was subsequently killed by the first advent of Frog monsters, servants of Sadu-Hem.

Also, that Hellboy learned from Rasputin in the pages of 'Seed of Destruction' that his stone hand is known as 'the Right Hand of Doom', and that Hellboy was brought to earth to be the key to releasing a monstrous entity known as Ogdru-Jahad, The Seven Beasts, from its exile in another dimension, and it is prophesied that Hellboy would rule in the new Hell on Earth.

Hellboy has rejected this prophesy, and the B.P.R.D. for that matter, choosing to wander the world alone. He keeps trying to avoid his fate, and, to our delight, he finds he cannot.

The Bureau has continued in Hellboy's absence to battle the legions of Sadu-Hem, the frogmen, as this was to be the first step in the release of Ogdru-Jahad.
frank666
Monday, March 23, 2009 4:23:14 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
I have just started to read Hellboy and I am enjoying it. I've currently reading the Hellboy and B.P.R.D. series, which I dont completly understand, but I have started to get the Tpb to get some Background info.

The first one "Seeds of Destruction" was brilliant, if only to see how different the comics is from the movies. Now I am waiting for Volume 3 which is supposedly the next story in the continuty.
Komic_Brew
Saturday, June 07, 2014 6:16:50 AM
Groups: Member
Hellboy is a great comic. Totally worth checking out, for those who do not know it. Depending on your personal taste, the art is maybe harder to accept when you start the comics, but once you get into the mood, you will recognize Mignola as a master.