Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » CCG / Gaming Cards » MTG Foil Cards
loganfifty
Friday, December 28, 2018 8:19:14 PM
Groups: Member
What should we do about Magic's foil sets? I haven't seen any sets created for them yet and I can't find any rules regarding them. Personally, I'm inclined to consider them as subsets and just create a new title for each set, but I wanna check with everyone first in case I'm missing a guideline somewhere that covers it.
padreglcc
Saturday, December 29, 2018 9:40:21 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Are the foil cards numbered differently from the standard cards? If so, I think a sub-set is warranted, but if not, then I would think they're just variants.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Problems with the CCL Software or Website? Contact the CCL Helpdesk:
Email: helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
Phone: 615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

Make sure you understand the Forum Rules
padreglcc
Sunday, December 30, 2018 8:18:23 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Also, were these foil cards mixed into standard packs, or packaged separately from the standard set?
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

scotteaves
Wednesday, January 02, 2019 3:09:13 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
Hey loganfifty -

Can you help us out with some more info? Happy to help figure out how best to get them in the database, but while I've played/collected CCGs, I've not gotten into Magic.

I echo padreglcc's questions.

Thanks!
scotteaves
Thursday, January 03, 2019 4:38:00 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
I saw your Change Request and the comments you added there. Based on the comments and information you provided, I agree these should be a separate title. It's all approved.

For Trading Cards, any parallels of base sets (typically foil, or numbered) are separate titles. It makes sense to follow that pattern for foil parallels of CCGs as long as it's a full base set (with a potential additional card or 2) and not 1 or 2 foil cards.
Tamwood
Saturday, January 05, 2019 1:29:29 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Just information for the masses.

Wizards of the Coast randomly insert foil variations of their cards into packs. Out of a box of 36 packs, you probably get 8 or so. The full set is made with foil versions.

I think these probably should have been variants, with the B variant the foil version.

They have recently been including Masterworks cards, which are foil, but fall at a very rare rate.

And they have foil promotional cards of some cards, too. Lots of foil in MTG nowadays.
padreglcc
Saturday, January 05, 2019 1:58:33 PM
Thanks, Tamwood. It's been almost 10 years since I've played, so I'm a little out of date on these.

scotteaves
Sunday, January 06, 2019 7:42:09 PM
Tamwood wrote:
Just information for the masses.

Wizards of the Coast randomly insert foil variations of their cards into packs. Out of a box of 36 packs, you probably get 8 or so. The full set is made with foil versions.

I think these probably should have been variants, with the B variant the foil version.

They have recently been including Masterworks cards, which are foil, but fall at a very rare rate.

And they have foil promotional cards of some cards, too. Lots of foil in MTG nowadays.

Thanks for the info on how they are available, but following how Trading Cards handle base set parallels these should be a separate set not variants.
Tamwood
Sunday, January 06, 2019 11:35:31 PM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
I don't think they should be included in the database at all, so whatever you guys decide to do with them. I was just giving information on the cards.