Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:41:49 PM
Groups: Member
Iceman
Created by: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby

Aliases: Formerly Mister Friese, Drake Roberts, Rampage
Identity: Secret, known to some high ranking folks in the government
Citizenship: United States
Place of Birth: Port Washington, Long Island, NY
Known Relatives: William Robert Drake (father), Madeline Beatrice Bass Drake (mother), Mary (cousin), Joel (cousin), Anne (aunt)
Group Affiliations:X-Men, formerly Twelve, X-Factor, X-Terminators, Defenders, Champions
Known Allies: The X-Men
Known Enemies:Those of the X-Men, on a more personal level, Alex Summers (Havok)
Base of Operations: San Francisco, CA
Education: College degree, Certified Practicing Accountant accreditation
1st Appearance: X-Men #1 (1963)
Origin: X-Men #44-46 (1968)
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 145 lbs
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color:Brown

Powers/Weapons:

Iceman is able to lower his external and internal body temperature without harm to himself, thereby radiating intense cold from his body. Iceman is able to reach -105 degrees Fahrenheit within a few seconds, and is immune to sub-zero temperatures around him.

In addition, Iceman can freeze any moisture in the air around him into unusually hard ice, and thereby form simple objects such as slides, ladders, shields, and bats. Iceman can also augment his ice form with extraneous moisture to enhance his strength and durability, and can reshape his body's ice form at will by using any available moisture from his surrounding environment. Similarly, Iceman can rebuild his ice form if any part of it is broken or if it is shattered completely without suffering any permanent damage.

Previously, Iceman was able to transform his body into solid ice and back to human form at will. For a time, however, his body was permanently transformed into solid ice as a result of a secondary mutation. After M-day, Iceman appeared to have lost his powers, returing to human form. However, this was revealed by Emma Frost as a mental block, and Iceman later regained his powers, along with the ability to change from human to ice form.

Iceman also possesses the potential to transport himself quickly over great distances through nearby flows of water by merging his body’s molecules with those of the stream.

For a time, Iceman was forced to wear a belt that dampened his powers after they had been augmented by Loki.

History:

Bobby Drake discovered his mutant power to create ice while in his early teens, yet kept his condition hidden from everyone but his parents. Initially, Bobby was unable to stop feeling cold and shivering, but soon managed to keep it under control. When a bully named Rocky Beasely and his friends attacked Bobby and his then-girlfriend, Judy Harmon, the youngster panicked. To save Harmon, Bobby temporarily encased Rocky in ice, thus revealing his abilities for all to see. Believing the boy to be a menace, the townspeople organized a lynch mob. They broke into Bobby's home and overpowered him, but the local sheriff took the teenager into custody for his own protection. Meanwhile, the situation had come to the attention of Professor Charles Xavier, the telepathic mentor of the team of teenage mutant super heroes the X-Men.

Professor X dispatched his first X-Man, Cyclops, to contact Bobby. Cyclops stole into the jailhouse as planned, but the two began fighting when Bobby refused to accompany him. Caught by the lynch mob, Cyclops and Bobby were about to be hanged when they broke free. Professor X used his mental powers to halt the townspeople in their tracks and erase their memories of Bobby's powers. A grateful Bobby then accepted Xavier's invitation to enroll at his School for Gifted Youngsters and took the codename Iceman. Though initially granting him a snow-like form, Bobby soon learned to increase his degree of cold control resulting in an ice-like, almost transparent form.

Hated and feared by humanity, the X-Men honed their amazing abilities while standing in defense of a world pushed to the brink of genetic war by a handful of mutant terrorists. Iceman, the team's youngest founding member, became known as the comedian of the group. Regardless, he pulled his weight and worked well with rest of the team.

Following a short break-up after believing their mentor was dead, the X-Men reformed with two new members - the magnetism-manipulating Polaris and the plasma-charged Havok. Bobby had a brief romantic relationship with Polaris until she realized that her heart belonged to Havok. Bobby had trouble accepting her decision, which led to increased tension between himself and Havok. Eventually, Bobby quit the team for a short time to sort out his feelings.

Later, when the sentient island-being known as Krakoa took Bobby and his team mates captive, Professor X assembled a second team of X-Men to rescue them. Soon after, most of the founding members left the team and Bobby began attending college on a scholarship. Eventually, he helped his former team mate Angel form the Champions of Los Angeles. When the Champions disbanded, Bobby went missing, and Angel teamed up with the costumed adventurer Spider-Man to find him. Bobby had been hypnotized by the Champions' enemy Rampage into donning his battle suit, and Angel and Spider-Man were forced to battle him. After Rampage was defeated, Bobby quit his life as a costumed adventurer and returned to college full time to study accounting.

Later, Bobby was contacted by Professor X to assist in rescuing friends and family of the X-Men from the assassin known as Arcade. Along with other former X-Men Banshee, Polaris, and Havok, the ad-hoc team managed to free the hostages and Bobby finally came to accept Polaris' love for Havok.

During a summer break from college Bobby went to visit his former X-Men teammate Beast and soon became involved with the loose-knit collection of costumed heroes known as the Defenders. Along with Beast and Angel, Bobby helped reorganize the team into a more formal and cohesive unit. The Defenders eventually disbanded when several of their members appeared to perish during a climactic battle.

Soon after, Bobby joined the other founding X-Men to form X-Factor, an organization that intended to seek out and aid other mutants under the pretense of hunting down those perceived menaces to society. During his time with the team, the Asgardian trickster god Loki captured Bobby, hoping to use him to gain control over the Frost Giants. Loki enhanced Bobby's powers to such an extent that he was forced to wear a power-dampening belt that was originally created by the subversive organization known as The Right to cancel out his powers. Once able only to sheathe his own body in a protective coating of ice, Bobby found he could encase the entirety of the Empire State Building. With time, Bobby gained sufficient control over his augmented powers that he was able to stop using the inhibitor belt. Believing he had achieved his full potential, Bobby never attempted to push himself beyond his perceived limits.

When Professor Xavier returned to Earth following an extended absence in outer space, Bobby and the other members of X-Factor rejoined the X-Men. Shortly thereafter, Bobby confronted former Cosmonaut Mikhail Rasputin, the reality-warping mutant brother of Bobby’s steel-skinned teammate Colossus. Rasputin forced Bobby into a form composed entirely of ice, affording the young mutant a glimpse into his true nature. Subsequently, Bobby began experimenting with his abilities - using ice to add mass to his slight frame, or lift himself high into the air without the benefit of his usual slides.

Months later, the psychically incapacitated mutant telepath Emma Frost took mental possession of Bobby's body. Frost was able to activate the full extent of his powers, using his powers in ways Bobby had not thought possible until she was coaxed back into her own body by Professor X. With Frost's prodding, Iceman later learned to completely transform his body into its full ice state on his own. Frost later also showed Bobby that he could safely revert back to his human form after his ice form's chest had been shattered in battle.

Bobby later took a leave of absence from the X-Men to spend more time with his father who had been injured by the grass roots anti-mutant movement the Friends of Humanity. He returned briefly to the X-Men to rescue mutant doctor Cecilia Reyes during the government-sponsored anti-mutant Operation: Zero Tolerance, after which he returned to his father's side.

Two subsequent events served to shed further light on Iceman's untapped potential. To secure a new host body, the would-be conqueror Apocalypse sought to siphon the awesome energies of "The Twelve" - mutants of incredible power, destined to alter the course of human history. Among their number was Iceman, who survived the ordeal thanks only to the apparent sacrifice of Cyclops.

A second defining event occurred when the sentient spaceship Prosh escaped the confines of a Celestial prison, returned to Earth and dispatched a group of disparate beings on a journey through time to uncover the keys to preserving human evolution. Their mission: Save the human race from a threat that might not manifest itself for millions of years. When Prosh reassembled the members of his team in the present, they fought and defeated the enigmatic alien entity known as the Stranger, who sought to control the natural evolution of humans and mutants.

These experiences forced Iceman into the realization that he no longer need fear the evolution of his abilities, and he returned to the X-Men to explore his mutant powers to the fullest. After suffering a chest injury, Bobby was unable to prevent his body from transforming into solid ice due to the manifestation of a secondary mutation.

After the House of M incident Iceman was believed to be among the mutants who lost their powers, but this apparent loss of powers was quickly revealed to be a subconscious reaction to the trauma of that reality warp. Since recovering his powers, his ice form has taken on a much more jagged appearance.

Recently, Iceman has been using his powers in innovative ways, including the ability to exist as a sentient gas. He discovered this ability while fighting the Children of the Vault when they attacked the Mansion. After the fight with the Children, he joined Rogue's team of X-Men. Since playing a small role in the events surrounding Messiah Complex, Iceman will be featured in the title X-Men: Manifest Destiny.

Significant Issues:

-First learned to solidify snow form (X-Men #8, 1964)
-First left X-Men (X-Men: The Hidden Years #1, 1999)
-Helped found Champions of Los Angeles (Champions #1, 1975)
-Possessed by Rampage, Champions disbanded (Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #17-18, 1978) --Attended college (Uncanny X-Men #145-146, 1981)
-Joined Defenders (Defenders #122, 1983)
-Reconciled with parents (Iceman #1-4, 1984-1985)
-Helped found X-Factor (X-Factor #1, 1986)
-Powers enhanced by Loki (Thor #377-378, 1987)
-First wore dampening belt (X-Factor #23, 1987)
-Rejoined X-Men (X-Factor #70/Uncanny X-Men #281, 1991)
-Forced into full ice form (Uncanny X-Men #291-292, 1992)
-Ice form first shattered (X-Men #50, 1996)
-Realized full potential (X-Men Forever #5, 2001)
-Secondary mutation first manifested (Uncanny X-Men #415, 2003)
-Lost his powers (House of M #8, 2005)
-Regained his powers (X-Men #178, 2005)

*Thanks to Marvel.com, uncannyxmen.net, and my own noggin for info. More to come!*

It pleases me for some reason to start the thread for my favorite comic book character, Bobby Drake.

I always wondered if Iceman could freeze blood. Since his power allows for him to control nearby moisture molecules, he could theoretically freeze an opponents blood, thus killing them.

If he could do this he is one powerful mutant. I remember Juggernaut giving him props back in 2004 when Havok was leading the team.

That was awesome.

punisherfan1138
Monday, August 11, 2008 4:05:15 PM
I always like Iceman. It sucks that after years of being one of the original Fab-Five, he was kind of pushed to the back by Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, and the other, newer, more flashy characters.

I thought he looked awesome in AoA.
infinitespeech
Monday, August 11, 2008 4:13:17 PM
bobby's always been one of those untapped potential characters which really means that marvel hasn't really taken the time to fully develope him. they barely started when emma frost took over his form and pushed him to his limits and that took about 30 years to do
yourfriendandy
Monday, August 11, 2008 9:01:46 PM
Yeah, Uncanny X-Men #314 was totally awesome. Uncanny X-Men #331 is also a great issue. I dig the relationship Scott Lobdell created between Bobby and Emma, and I'd like to see that relationship expanded upon. It's almost as if Drake has a deep, taboo love for Emma. Fitting, considering his bumpy love life.

Still, since M-Day Bobby has been given a decent amount of attention. Losing his powers only to discover that it was his own insecurities that prevented them from working, not the Scarlet Witch was an interesting twist. As was his being stuck permanently in ice form while playing second fiddle to team leader Havoc. To make matters worse, Polaris was on the same squad. She didn't help the situation either by playing with his head in X-Men #164.

Since Messiah Complex, in which he played a minor role, Iceman has kind of been MIA. But that is soon to change with X-Men Manifest Destiny where an Iceman story will appear at the end of every issue. Mike Carey seems to like Bobby, and Christopher Yost's style can only make him look more kick ass.

I'm looking forward to this title and seeing Iceman share some of the spotlight.

fatherjeff
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:06:20 PM
It's time for Iceman to have his own squad, IMO. I'd love to see him on a team with Cannonball. I think they make a great team.
spidey0vs0venom
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:15:44 PM
My fried really likes Bobby Drake. I do too as well. I do think he's an untapped character too. There's so much that could be done with him and he's a great character
fatherjeff
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:36:53 PM
I'm looking forward to Manifest Destiny.
yourfriendandy
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:52:23 PM
Anyone else disappointed by how Iceman was turned into Mr. Suave in the movies?
fatherjeff
Friday, August 15, 2008 11:59:25 AM
I actually liked Iceman, I just didn't like the love triangle between him, Kitty, and Rogue. Talk about 3 people who have never been interested in each other ever.
infinitespeech
Friday, August 15, 2008 12:08:57 PM
fatherjeff wrote:
I actually liked Iceman, I just didn't like the love triangle between him, Kitty, and Rogue. Talk about 3 people who have never been interested in each other ever.

I thought i was the only one who hated this idea another great marvel WTF???!!!! moment Laughing

I'd also like to see more of the Iceman/Cannonball dynamic as long as it's done well
yourfriendandy
Friday, August 15, 2008 2:46:11 PM
fatherjeff wrote:

I think they did that so the movie ran congruent with Ultimate X-Men at the time as a way to rope in fans.
yourfriendandy
Friday, August 15, 2008 2:48:27 PM
infinitespeech wrote:

I'd also like to see more of the Iceman/Cannonball dynamic as long as it's done well

fatherjeff
Friday, August 15, 2008 6:58:41 PM
yourfriendandy wrote:
fatherjeff wrote:

I think they did that so the movie ran congruent with Ultimate X-Men at the time as a way to rope in fans.

Don't even get me started on the piece of trash that is Ultimate X-Men.
yourfriendandy
Friday, August 15, 2008 7:11:52 PM
Uh-oh!

I really like the title.

Although, it would have been nice if Robert Kirkman cared as much for his run on Ultimate X-Men as he does his own mega-hit, The Walking Dead. His time on Ultimate X-Men felt like it was his 'I gotta do this because I'm getting paid to' project.

A story arc that features Cable and Bishop.

Hm.

Kind of like Messiah Complex at the time... Hey, and didn't this title release in 2001, you know, less than a year after the movie came. out...

Hm.

yourfriendandy
Monday, August 18, 2008 7:39:03 PM
fatherjeff wrote:
As for Chuck Austen, the only thing he did right was shape Juggernaut's character more. Iceman was a whiny baby throughout the whole Austen run. I liked his power increase, but Austen did not have Bobby pegged at all.

Iceman had to be whiny throughout Austen's run- he had just discovered he could never revert back to flesh and blood!

I'd be a pissy, whiny person too if I found out I had to be a walking icicle the rest of my days. And to add fuel to the fire, Drake was forced to take orders from Havoc in front of the love of his life, Lorna Dane who was also on the same squad.

I think Bobby's personality traits perfectly reflected his environment at the time; unpleasant.

... Plus Austen had Juggernaut admit to Bobby that he was weaker than him.

Awesome.

(fatherjeff's quote was taken from the Grant Morrison New X-Men thread)
fatherjeff
Monday, August 18, 2008 7:48:37 PM
Good points, but I still hated Iceman during Austen's run. Laughing I hated that he was suddenly in love with Lorna again (after years of being over her) and the whole Nurse Annie thing.

As a side note, the other thing I hated about Austen's run was his completely insane retcon of Nightcrawler from Catholic priest to child of the devil. Part of my frustration is because I'm an Episcopal priest, and I was really identifying with Kurt when Austen came up with a completely unresearched plot to defrock him. That's off the subject of Iceman, but I thought I'd rant some more. Big Grin
yourfriendandy
Monday, August 18, 2008 9:17:46 PM
The Nurse Annie relationship made me hate Havoc even more.

What a c*ck block.

I can't comment too much on Austen's retcon of Kurt as I'd need to refresh my memory. Still from what I recall, Austen didn't make Nightcrawler a Satan worshipper or anything, he just assigned a face to Kurt's father. Besides, the fact that Kurt is still true to his faith despite the fact that his father is a demon and his mother is just short of one should give you promise!
fatherjeff
Monday, August 18, 2008 10:08:20 PM
No, I didn't think Kurt had switched beliefs, I just thought that he didn't need to be un-priested in order to be Azrael's son. In fact, I thought it would have made the story even more ironic if he was a priest. I was really more frustrated with the story where the Church of Humanity (or whatever they were called) tried to set Kurt to be the Pope only to reveal him as a demon-looking mutant in order to bring about the end times. I'm not Catholic, but I know that that's not even how the Pope is chosen. It was just poorly researched and a ridiculous story simply to retcon Kurt's priesthood.

I actually wrote Chuck Austen about that and he actually wrote back and told me the story was to reflect his own issues with the Church.

Anyway, back to Nurse Annie...Alex and Lorna's wedding??? WTF???
yourfriendandy
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:49:17 AM
fatherjeff wrote:

I actually wrote Chuck Austen about that and he actually wrote back and told me the story was to reflect his own issues with the Church.

Did he comment on your declaration of his inadequate research?

Quote:
Anyway, back to Nurse Annie...Alex and Lorna's wedding??? WTF???

I know right!

He's such a d*uche.
fatherjeff
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:55:07 AM
Nah, he didn't comment on that.