Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL News » CCL FAQ/Q&A » How many brick and mortar comic shops are in the USA? (POLL!)

Poll Question: How many physical comic shops in the USA?

• 1000-1500
    12%
    3 vote(s)
  • 1500-1800
    8%
    2 vote(s)
  • 1800-2000
    28%
    7 vote(s)
  • 2000-2500
    8%
    2 vote(s)
  • 2500-3000
    4%
    1 vote(s)
  • 3000 or more
    40%
    10 vote(s)

How many brick and mortar comic shops are in the USA? (POLL!)

2 pages: 1 [2]
MoonKnight1
Monday, June 15, 2020 4:41:59 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I was actually thinking the same thing.

Yes, Nostalgia Plus was sold and renamed Alpha Comics & Games.

The Willow Lawn website describes them like this:

Quote:
Alpha Comics & Games

Locally owned and operated, Alpha Comics & Games is the premier seller of comics and comic related merchandise in the Richmond, Virginia area.

Yeah, not so much.

The space is tiny since they chopped the mall up to make it a pedestrian/outdoor space so they don't really have a great selection past new releases. I went in one time to check it out and maybe talk to the owners but they were not there. It was a Saturday so understandable.

The person working the register had no clue about anything comic book related which was a little odd. I asked her a few questions (not even tough ones) and all I got was a blank stare. They did have a lot of games however.

Hate to say it but I still haven't been to Richmond Comix. Not for any reason other than it is a bit out of the way for me. Hmmm, actually it's only a half hour away from where I live now. Maybe I will stop by. Think

Chip, I don't know you if you get downtown very often but have you ever been to Velocity?

There is also Third Eye Comics in Mechanicsville I haven't been to yet.

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Monday, June 15, 2020 8:42:42 PM
Groups: Member
I know in the greater Kansas City area there's less than 20 stores total. The rub is that 11 of them are Vintage Stocks, which is a chain that sells new and second hand comics, movies, video games, and toys. Still, once or twice a year I like to hit up all 11 stores in a day when they're doing a buy one get one free sale to see what I can grab (since they're generally pretty ignorant of the real value of a lot of comics, picked up a $240 copy of the RI cover of Transformers More than Meets the Eye #19 for $4 several years ago and recently picked up a 3rd print of Venom #3 for $2... among others. Oh, if only I had hung onto dozen copies or so that I picked up Avenging Spider-man #9 for cheap rather than flipping them for $20 each.)

B-Bop Comics: They have a north and south location (buying out another store for the second location) and their big claim to fame is that several years ago they amassed a collection of one copy of every Marvel comic every published.

Elite Comics: Probably the biggest selection of any of the stores in the area.

Clint's Comics: Unfortunately the owner was killed in a robbery a few years ago and the shop has suffered significantly since then.

Pop Culture Comix: The second nicest and knowledgeable owner of all the shops in the area, he's always willing to help you find everything you're looking for and has the cleanest set-up of all of the stores.

A to Z Comics: Best true comic shop in the area, the owner knows her stock forwards and backwards and will basically know if she has something when you ask her.
bluedevil2002
Monday, June 15, 2020 10:30:57 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Chip, I don't know you if you get downtown very often but have you ever been to Velocity?

No. I almost did one time. I ordered some stuff from here (probably through Brett), and chose the option to pick it up in the store, but they ended up mailing it to me anyway.

I've probably gone past it a few times. I'll have to check it out when current circumstances improve. Too bad training camp isn't happening this year, because that would literally put me in the area.

There's also the Time Capsule in Hopewell. It used to be in Chester, but they moved a few years ago. All I really remember is that it was a place to go pick up a recent issue that I might have missed. I think they are more game oriented, and mainly carry new comics. My brother-in-law got me some gift certificates there for Christmas and I'm hoping they have a decent stock of hardcovers or omnibuses for me to use it on.
ratrapp
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:42:46 PM
I've never had a local store.the closest was 50 miles in either direction but several of those have closed in the last few years.i really enjoy going to stores and digging through back stock.i went on a mini vacation to charlotte NC about 5 years ago and spent the most part of one day buying stuff from about 5 local stores.i don't think my gf enjoyed it but she got used to it.
pottersan
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:10:43 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
SwiftMann wrote:
Maybe a new poll... How many of the "210,218 Users" are bots?
Stop it.....positive vibes.....positive vibes...

If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes

Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

pottersan
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:12:53 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Quote:
Alpha Comics & Games

Locally owned and operated, Alpha Comics & Games is the premier seller of comics and comic related merchandise in the Richmond, Virginia area.

Yeah, not so much.

The space is tiny since they chopped the mall up to make it a pedestrian/outdoor space so they don't really have a great selection past new releases. I went in one time to check it out and maybe talk to the owners but they were not there. It was a Saturday so understandable.

The person working the register had no clue about anything comic book related which was a little odd. I asked her a few questions (not even tough ones) and all I got was a blank stare. They did have a lot of games however.

Hate to say it but I still haven't been to Richmond Comix. Not for any reason other than it is a bit out of the way for me. Hmmm, actually it's only a half hour away from where I live now. Maybe I will stop by. Think

So, they stole the name that I stole from a store in Canada....

If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes

Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 8:54:43 PM
Shop at My Store
pottersan wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Quote:
Alpha Comics & Games

Yeah, not so much.

So, they stole the name that I stole from a store in Canada....

Yeah, but they added and Games. Whistle

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 8:57:55 PM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

No. I almost did one time. I ordered some stuff from here (probably through Brett), and chose the option to pick it up in the store, but they ended up mailing it to me anyway.

I've probably gone past it a few times. I'll have to check it out when current circumstances improve. Too bad training camp isn't happening this year, because that would literally put me in the area.

There's also the Time Capsule in Hopewell. It used to be in Chester, but they moved a few years ago. All I really remember is that it was a place to go pick up a recent issue that I might have missed. I think they are more game oriented, and mainly carry new comics. My brother-in-law got me some gift certificates there for Christmas and I'm hoping they have a decent stock of hardcovers or omnibuses for me to use it on.

If you (or anyone else reading this) ever go to Velocity drop my name and tell them that you heard about them through CCL. I always hype them up here and Patrick has said that if you say the secret code, "Howie sent me" that they would hook you up. Don't Tell Anyone