Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Where do you get your comics?

Poll Question: Where do you get your comics?

• Local comic book store.
    71%
    258 vote(s)
  • Mail subscription.
    10%
    37 vote(s)
  • Online.
    18%
    66 vote(s)
21 pages: First ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Xylob
Friday, March 22, 2013 8:18:14 AM
Groups: Approver, Member
I have a N.I.C.E. account at Mile High and pick up my stuff every week at their Glendale store.
Before all of the tomato hurling begins - I'm still supporting a local small business, AND since I switched from a different LCS I've added more titles to my pull list, am getting vastly superior customer service, and I'm actually saving money over what I was spending.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
Aries326
Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:55:14 AM
Groups: Member
Wow, Mile High Comics has been around for a long time! I remember buying from them more than 20 years ago through the mail.

Do you guys find that prices on eBay are pretty reflective of what is published in price guides or are the prices in eBay running a little lower or higher?

I've been buying a bunch of stuff on eBay but I can't say if the prices I'm paying are even good deals.

freakdylan
Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:16:49 AM
Xylob wrote:
I have a N.I.C.E. account at Mile High and pick up my stuff every week at their Glendale store.

I am a huge Mile High fan and used to use them but now I use G-Mart. The website is ugly and back issues can tend to be overpriced but they have the best subscription service I have ever used. I love they have a premium grade service which means they will hand pick your comic to be flawless. So no chance of getting a dinged corner or spine breaks on new comic. I have never gotten a comic from them that I would grade under 9.6 and love it :)

LordMikel
Wednesday, June 05, 2013 5:58:11 PM
Aries326 wrote:
Wow, Mile High Comics has been around for a long time! I remember buying from them more than 20 years ago through the mail.

Do you guys find that prices on eBay are pretty reflective of what is published in price guides or are the prices in eBay running a little lower or higher?

I've been buying a bunch of stuff on eBay but I can't say if the prices I'm paying are even good deals.

I would say what really kills you on Ebay is the shipping. The $5 book you found which guides for that is now $10 after shipping. I've seen prices fluctuate, too high, too low, etc. It all depends on the item and the demand for the item.
JimmmKelly
Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:16:46 AM
Now that I don't usually buy new comics anymore? At mycomicshop, eBay, and the local Vancouver Comic Con. And amszon for hardcovers and trade paperbacks.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:24:43 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
JimmmKelly wrote:
Now that I don't usually buy new comics anymore? At mycomicshop, eBay, and the local Vancouver Comic Con. And amszon for hardcovers and trade paperbacks.

Welcome to Comic Collector Live! Hopefully you have found a new place to buy comics!Winking

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. Then find someone who life gave vodka to and become friends with them.

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
frank666
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:45:00 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
I get my comics through a comic seller who orders from a shop in Berlin / Germany. From whom the German shop gets their comics from in the US , dunno. But I get a delivery every 2 weeks.
sleepingtiger62
Monday, October 07, 2013 9:36:31 PM
I frequent a couple of local shops; Dragon's Lair and Legends Comics.

***Link removed per CCL rules***
Reggie
Monday, October 07, 2013 9:39:22 PM
^ Another post that needs to be deleted. Please read forum rules.
kidlippy
Monday, December 23, 2013 10:51:16 PM
My new comics, I get from a small shop called Book Fair downtown. There's a few comic stores downtown I usually check out once a month for their "dollar" bins (to bad those comics aren't in good shape Laughing ). This summer I started to use ebay and bought some comics (just a couple today as well) on the site. I also check out flea markets and garage sales.
GreggGonz
Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:09:33 AM
I used to get my comics from a local shop in downtown NYC. Then I found a great contact in Kentucy that would give me great discounts, and I would get my books on a monthly basis (a huge diamond distributor box).

When I told my local comic shop (Chameleon Comics near the WTC in NYC), they almost cried, as I was dropping serious change there every week.

This was probably 1998 or so. I still get my comics from my friend in Kentucky who owns Little Monster Comics in Somerset Kentucky. GREAT Folks.

From time to time I still stroll into Midtown Comics by Grand Central. I just can't get used to paying retail (then get $20 backs off once I spend $100).

I spend entirely too much money on comics, but I get great joy in reading them, the smell of my older silver age books, just LOVE that scent that no CBR format will ever provide. My man cave smells like a comic book store, LOL. To me it's not about getting comics for an investment, it's for the thrill of the hunt and the great read that follows. I still go back and read Tales of the Unexpected and Ghosts.
BruceReville
Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:57:13 PM
Well I know one place I will not be buying from - called Fat Jack's in Philadelphia to get a copy of both Exclusive covers for Legenderry from them - paid for the comics and shipping on the 13th - and nothing - called yesterday spoke to a manager and he said he would look into it and call back - never did - called today and was told "We don't do that kind of thing - we don't ship out" then when I said I paid already for everything I was told to call back and talk to the manager (Whom I spoke with yesterday and didn't get a response) - Looks like I may need to open up a fraud case with my bank and hopefully get my money back - God this (banned) frustrates me when trying to hunt down exclusives. At Wits' End
Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

BruceStokes
Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:31:39 AM
Has anyone else besides me stopped buying new comics altogether? I am always a few months behind but I buy from a lot of different stores here that seem to get a lot of recent overstock. I can usually get most anything for $1 if I give it some time.
The last comic I bought at a comic store was Fables #100, with a low print run and a 9.99 cover I figured I wasn't going to find it cheaper for a long time.
There are two comic shops in Raleigh but they ne'er seem to have any sales going on but my buddies have picked up stuff for me from the comic shop in Chapel Hill as they always have awesome sales.i have also found some used book stores where I find new stuff for cheap
Reggie
Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:11:29 PM
BruceStokes wrote:
Has anyone else besides me stopped buying new comics altogether? I am always a few months behind but I buy from a lot of different stores here that seem to get a lot of recent overstock. I can usually get most anything for $1 if I give it some time.
The last comic I bought at a comic store was Fables #100, with a low print run and a 9.99 cover I figured I wasn't going to find it cheaper for a long time.
There are two comic shops in Raleigh but they ne'er seem to have any sales going on but my buddies have picked up stuff for me from the comic shop in Chapel Hill as they always have awesome sales.i have also found some used book stores where I find new stuff for cheap

I just recently stopped buying new issues. I've been buying new issues as they come out each week in one fashion or another for over 21 years and just stopped cold turkey about 2 months ago. I thought the change would be drastic but its not. I find myself either buying the trades here and there or just grabbing certain issues later down the road here on CCL. I thought I would miss it more but I don't and I save a TON of money.

Xylob
Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:42:35 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
I've been considering this... Dropped a few titles and plan on going the TPB route.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
BruceReville
Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:58:23 PM
Xylob wrote:
I've been considering this... Dropped a few titles and plan on going the TPB route.

I did - getting more bang for my buck now and happy for it
Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

copperandchrome
Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:53:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, those of you who order comics online, is it because there is no local store where you live, or is it really cheaper?
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:44:19 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Hi Andrew, welcome to CCL!

A lot of people are unfortunate in that they don't have a LCS to shop at so they have to go on-line. But even people that do have local access to comics go to the internet because of the greater selection.

And yes, a lot of times it is cheaper buying on-line. Sure you have shipping costs but you can still find some great bargains, plus it gets delivered right to your front door!

Hope to see you around!
Howie

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. Then find someone who life gave vodka to and become friends with them.

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
Inking_Zanziber
Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:04:15 PM
LCS, Tony's Kingdom of Comics. Wish I could cast my vote.
Nick18313
Tuesday, February 04, 2014 6:57:05 PM
I was getting my books from Pat and now from DCBS. I didn't have an LCS until last week when one finally opened in my city and only a 2 minute drive from my home. Unfortunately they do not offer any discounts for their pull box customers, so I'll continue to buy most of my comics online. But I'm going to try to support my new LCS by buying my comic supplies there and picking up the odd issue that I sometimes forget to pre-order from DCBS.
Pull List: X-Force, IUncanny X-Men, Marvelous X-Men, Major X, Daredevil, Witchblade, Cyber Force