Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Approved Terminology
ntkeith
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:12:22 AM
Groups: Guru, Member
It was a change, I think you challenged calling it "Gatefold" (I might be wrong), and Steve spoke up with this.

They are a different type of comic, and can be noted that way. Mixing them in with Gatefold doesn't make sense, and Valiant said we was coming back to the Guidelines to update it as such.
You've heard the legend, now see it come to life! I Want More Comics
SwiftMann
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:53:41 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
My main concern is the fact that this means the database will now have "Foldout Cover" in thousands of comics and it just isn't useful. There was a period of time when the back covers were "foldout" for ads. To me it's just clutter in the cover description and just makes the reports even more frustrating to utilize in a simple list than they already are.

The need to constantly have insignificant information in cover descriptions in nearly every comic honestly makes the Wish List report functionally useless to me.
scotteaves
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:47:01 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
comicscastle wrote:

Thanks, I'll leave this up for comments before adding it to the list. One question on the Case Topper/Case Loader and Box Topper/Box Loader. Is that how you list it, with both names and a /, or do you use one or the other? If you use one or the other can we settle on just one for the sake of consistancy?

Depends on the manufacturer. Inkworks uses Loader and the cards reflect that in the numbering - Box Loaders are often BL-x and Case Loaders are CL-x.

Topps uses Box/Case Topper.

That's why I listed both since there is no consistency between the manufacturer.

I've also added an additional term to my initial post with TC terminology - Parallel.
ntkeith
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:14:16 PM
SwiftMann wrote:
My main concern is the fact that this means the database will now have "Foldout Cover" in thousands of comics and it just isn't useful. There was a period of time when the back covers were "foldout" for ads. To me it's just clutter in the cover description and just makes the reports even more frustrating to utilize in a simple list than they already are.

The need to constantly have insignificant information in cover descriptions in nearly every comic honestly makes the Wish List report functionally useless to me.

Funny, I think partially the opposite. I hate cover descriptions that don't give you enough to tell it apart while at the store. So what if I know who the artist is if I can't tell who did the artwork from looking at the cover?

And while yes, I don't see a great value on this, it is accurate, and it will stop people from trying to change them to Gatefold.
ntkeith
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:16:15 PM
scotteaves wrote:
comicscastle wrote:

Thanks, I'll leave this up for comments before adding it to the list. One question on the Case Topper/Case Loader and Box Topper/Box Loader. Is that how you list it, with both names and a /, or do you use one or the other? If you use one or the other can we settle on just one for the sake of consistancy?

Depends on the manufacturer. Inkworks uses Loader and the cards reflect that in the numbering - Box Loaders are often BL-x and Case Loaders are CL-x.

Topps uses Box/Case Topper.

That's why I listed both since there is no consistency between the manufacturer.

I've also added an additional term to my initial post with TC terminology - Parallel.

Since the golden rule on Trading Cards os to match what the manufacture printed on the item, I do see scotteaves point, and it should be noted as such. Topper is preferred and Loader should be used if the item reflects that, either printed on item, or by checklist/advert produced by manufacturer.
MrMiracle
Saturday, June 06, 2009 9:28:10 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber
Has the original post been updated based on the discussion? If so, I'd like to clean this out for the sake of readability.
Settle down beavis.

Rules - binary solo....
comicscastle
Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:48:00 AM
Groups: Member
MrMiracle wrote:
Has the original post been updated based on the discussion? If so, I'd like to clean this out for the sake of readability.
Yes it has. Everything else can be eliminated.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

IcyNova
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:14:19 PM
Groups: Member
Well, it's been over a year and this thread never got "cleaned out". (Hint-hint) I just had to read through 3 pages to find out the initial post had been edited to reflect the discussion. Winking

Anyway, I have another thought on this topic related to Dynamic Forces. Sometimes there is a "true" DF edition, often with the DF logo on the cover but not always. That is very different from a non-DF item that DF has purchased and had remarked or signed. Here is what I have been doing in my recent CRs:

1) If it is a DF-printed variant cover, then I say something like:

DF Alex Ross Variant (Signed by Alex Ross) 1/100

2) If it is a regular cover with value-added by DF, then I write:

Alex Ross Cover (Signed by Alex Ross) DF:1/100

This tells us where Dynamic Forces added their value to the issue. In case 1, they added a new variant cover and had it signed by the artist. Hence it is truly a "DF Edition." In case 2, they took a normal cover and had it signed by the artist. Hence the only DF contribution is in the Numbered COA.

Maybe this is too nit-picky for some, but it bothers me to see a comic listed in the database as a "DF Edition," when it really isn't. The guidelines tell everyone to say "DF Edition" on all DF products.

Any opinions out there?
SwiftMann
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:40:38 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
IcyNova wrote:
DF Alex Ross Variant (Signed by Alex Ross) 1/100

Should be DF Alex Ross Cover (Signed by Alex Ross) 1/100. We avoid the word "variant" in cover descriptions.

Quote:
Alex Ross Cover (Signed by Alex Ross) DF:1/100

I like the intent. Not sure about the execution. That'll take some thinking, but I like the intent.