Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Ask the Experts » Ask the experts forum
thomas4d4
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:45:34 PM
Groups: Member
I have a question.

I have a Marvel Spotlight #4, 1972, starring Werewolf by Night. I'd say it is VERY GOOD condition.

The comic has some kind of ink stain on it. The ink stain covers the top and bottom edge of the book and spills partly onto the back cover and a little onto the front of the book. You can see it over the .20 c on the front, and on the back it can be seen the most on the upper right corner, but it goes pretty much around the whole thing.

My question is, what is this ink from? Is it a printers defect?

Philli
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:52:53 PM
I'm just gonna toss a theory out there. It looks like a current size book was on it and something poured onto it and only the very edge caught the spill. Great book though.
dunleavy75
Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:20:44 PM
Philli wrote:
I'm just gonna toss a theory out there. It looks like a current size book was on it and something poured onto it and only the very edge caught the spill. Great book though.

Absolutely. If anyone hasn't read WBN or Tomb of Dracula you're missing out bigtime!Applause

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
thomas4d4
Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:31:04 PM
Thanks guys.
Yea I love Mike Ploog!
comicscastle
Friday, December 04, 2009 12:11:13 AM
thomas4d4 wrote:
I have a question.

I have a Marvel Spotlight #4, 1972, starring Werewolf by Night. I'd say it is VERY GOOD condition.

The comic has some kind of ink stain on it. The ink stain covers the top and bottom edge of the book and spills partly onto the back cover and a little onto the front of the book. You can see it over the .20 c on the front, and on the back it can be seen the most on the upper right corner, but it goes pretty much around the whole thing.

My question is, what is this ink from? Is it a printers defect?

Books that weren't sold were sometimes used for promo purposes. To make sure they weren't returned later for credit they would get inked like that. They would have a whole box of books and would just paint/ink the tops of the books, or bottoms if upside down in the box. That's what it looks like to me.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

thomas4d4
Friday, December 04, 2009 2:37:10 AM
Pat, you are amazing! An encyclopedia of comic knowledge!
ComicReaderBatman
Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:01:06 PM
I got a quick question for all of the super awesome gurus out there. What books are must haves for a collection that aren't too expensive?
I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
comicuniversity
Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:07:40 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator
I don't know exactly what you mean by "not too expensive" but here is a short list of comics stories that are very widely read and highly regarded that you can get for what I would consider relatively cheap.:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Secret Wars
Cerebus
The Great Darkness Saga of Legion of Superheroes
Batman: Knightfall
ComicReaderBatman
Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:20:30 PM
comicuniversity wrote:
I don't know exactly what you mean by "not too expensive" but here is a short list of comics stories that are very widely read and highly regarded that you can get for what I would consider relatively cheap.:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Secret Wars
Cerebus
The Great Darkness Saga of Legion of Superheroes
Batman: Knightfall

Ok thank you for the info!
I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
ELebans
Saturday, November 21, 2015 12:50:11 AM
In need of some help. I'm looking for a complete 90 card set of NM Marvel Universe 1987 series 1 trading cards. Also, its an amateur questions, but it fits the script. When you buy a sealed box of trading cards, are you guaranteed to have a complete set in that box, or is it more likely to have duplicates of some, and missing some others? Thanks in advance to any help issued.
SwiftMann
Saturday, November 21, 2015 7:41:39 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
ELebans wrote:
In need of some help. I'm looking for a complete 90 card set of NM Marvel Universe 1987 series 1 trading cards.

Doesn't look like anyone has them for sale here. Couldn't hurt to ask in the Trading Card forum or The Buyers' Corner.

Quote:
Also, its an amateur questions, but it fits the script. When you buy a sealed box of trading cards, are you guaranteed to have a complete set in that box, or is it more likely to have duplicates of some, and missing some others? Thanks in advance to any help issued.

Guaranteed? No.

Likely? It depends. Depends on the cards per pack and number of packs per box count. Some early 90s stuff had 10 cards per pack and 40 packs per box, so you'd get 4-6 complete sets because everything was well collated. Other stuff is more random and you don't even get a single set and TONS of dupes (I'm looking at you Plasm).
ELebans
Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:47:48 PM
SwiftMann wrote:
ELebans wrote:
In need of some help. I'm looking for a complete 90 card set of NM Marvel Universe 1987 series 1 trading cards.

Doesn't look like anyone has them for sale here. Couldn't hurt to ask in the Trading Card forum or The Buyers' Corner.

Quote:
Also, its an amateur questions, but it fits the script. When you buy a sealed box of trading cards, are you guaranteed to have a complete set in that box, or is it more likely to have duplicates of some, and missing some others? Thanks in advance to any help issued.

Guaranteed? No.

Likely? It depends. Depends on the cards per pack and number of packs per box count. Some early 90s stuff had 10 cards per pack and 40 packs per box, so you'd get 4-6 complete sets because everything was well collated. Other stuff is more random and you don't even get a single set and TONS of dupes (I'm looking at you Plasm).

Thanks. Indeed very helpful. In particular though, I WA asking because I found an unopened box of 1987 comic images marvel universe series 1. Its $300, and I want it, but only if I can definitely get a complete 90 card set.
SwiftMann
Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:40:45 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
ELebans wrote:

Thanks. Indeed very helpful. In particular though, I WA asking because I found an unopened box of 1987 comic images marvel universe series 1. Its $300, and I want it, but only if I can definitely get a complete 90 card set.

How many packs are in a box? I saw a broken down box that I thought read 4 cards and 1 sticker per pack. If that's accurate, you'll likely need a lot of packs per box or some confirmation that collation was really good.
ELebans
Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:07:45 AM
SwiftMann wrote:
ELebans wrote:

How many packs are in a box? I saw a broken down box that I thought read 4 cards and 1 sticker per pack. If that's accurate, you'll likely need a lot of packs per box or some confirmation that collation was really good.

From what I gather, you are right about the amount of cards per pack, 4. I believe there are 50 packs per box, and collation wasn't all that good. The guy that had the box I mentioned actually opened it and broke it down. LOTS of duplicates, he was happy he didn't sell it, as whoever would have bought it would have been highly disappointed. I know he was for sure.