Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » COUNTERFEIT COMICS
vacantpassenger
Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:05:46 PM
Groups: Member
An Anita Blake #1 counterfeit has been added to the main page of the thread today. Thanks to Sirs for bringing it to our attention.

This thread actually has grown some legs since it's inception and I've even seen it referenced at other sites. I've even received a few emails regarding it from people outside of CCL (It's even how I was able to get my copy of V:LP #1 Black Cover!). Thanks again to everyone, and keep on the lookout.
sirsladylioness
Monday, September 14, 2009 10:47:19 PM
In regards to the Anita Blake #1, the comic itself is a legitimate copy, it is the gold foil that was added after market that makes it a counterfeit or as marvel and dabel bro. both said an "after market" book and for everyone to be able to distinguish it, if it is gold foil it is not legitimate period. As much as it pains me to say that. :(

Chew is a really great new comic! You should check it out.

Check out some really beautiful art here!! Put it on a shirt, mugs, prints or just about anything!
http://ghostmoongallery.deviantart.com/
http://ghostsprings.com/GhostMoon.html
vacantpassenger
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:08:16 AM
sirsladylioness wrote:
In regards to the Anita Blake #1, the comic itself is a legitimate copy, it is the gold foil that was added after market that makes it a counterfeit or as marvel and dabel bro. both said an "after market" book and for everyone to be able to distinguish it, if it is gold foil it is not legitimate period. As much as it pains me to say that. :(

Same as with the WWH, Thor and Incredible Hulk "Gold Foil Variants". The book are manipulated after the fact, but still not approved by marvel.
morbius101
Saturday, December 26, 2009 12:26:28 PM
I agree with comicastle...the comic exists and should be listed even if counterfeit, as long as they are noted. Isn't there another company that commisions their own covers and has the author sign them??? sealed with a certificate with serial number??? Can't think of the name??
Smallville95
Sunday, January 24, 2010 3:08:07 PM
Damn I thought comics were safe from counterfeits. Guess I was wrong.

Madness is like gravity...all you need is a little push!
rook68
Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:06:59 AM
I agree with a earlier post that you need to be careful buying on ebay. Some sellers sell reprints and maybe even counterfeits as a original first print. As always buyer beware. Do investigate on items you bid on. Look at their ebay feedback. Look at the scanned pic. Look at everything to see what you are really getting.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

brettscomicpile
Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:17:00 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
These aftermarket "foil" Thor and Hulk comics reminded me of something.

Check THESE out:

http://www.ndcomics.com/miracleman.html

Aftermarket foil comics...but in this case they were authorized by the original publisher!

A strange, manufactured variant...using existing inventory.

Odd.

Best,

Brett
BluegrassComics
Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:20:03 AM
Shop at My Store
comicscastle wrote:
vacantpassenger wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
It is good work finding out they're counterfeit, but should they be removed? They are still comic books and they do exist. I think they should be included in the database but they should be listed as counterfeit in the cover description area. Something like "Counterfeit - Not Authorized by Marvel". What do the rest of you think?

Absolutely they should be removed. That question is actually how this list started, I brought it up last year. Check out the link at the top of this page in my first post to read what Joe had to say about it.

I don't see any link, but if Joe doesn't want them then that's fine with me; however I still feel that a comic database should include all comics, even counterfeit ones. I'm not saying that we should justify them in any way. I'm just saying that we should recognize that they do exist. Perhaps there should be a way that they could be entered in the database but not be made available to sell. Anyway that's just my opinion and it isn't anything I feel real strongly about so I won't go off on a rant or anything.

I know I'm very late to the discussion, but i would think they should be included too, at least in some instances. It depends on the nature of the counterfeit.

Photocopied books probably shouldn't be included. They weren't actually printed by the original publisher in any way.

However, on the foil "counterfeits", the books was likely printed by Marvel. Then someone created the logos in gold leaf and applied them to the comics. The 1:1000 may even be true. Say Marvel did a print run of 75,000 and the guy applied gold leaf to 75, then they are 1:1000. It's a real Marvel printing, with gold leaf applied. I don't see that as much different than an autograph being applied later. The autograph adds value to some, just as the gold logo adds value to some. I would include these in the database.

Or think of it in terms of cars. If someone copies a Mustang and builds it in Mexico in a non-Ford factory, then it is a counterfeit. However, if someone buys one from a Ford dealer and then chromes it out, it's called a Saleen and they double the price. It isn't a counterfeit by any measure. Just pimped out by a 3rd party.
bosco685
Friday, August 06, 2010 8:30:08 AM
vacantpassenger wrote:

Batman #497 (DC: 1993) - "Platinum Edition"
Not published by DC. No photo currently available.

I'd love to see this.
BluegrassComics
Friday, August 06, 2010 9:37:59 AM
Shop at My Store
bosco685 wrote:
vacantpassenger wrote:

Batman #497 (DC: 1993) - "Platinum Edition"
Not published by DC. No photo currently available.

Sorry, but being new here I am late to the game. I wanted to provide information on this item specifically, which is not correct.

I own two copies of Batman 492 Platinum sent to me directly by DC Comics Marketing as a gift for helping organize a fundraiser around 1993-1994. They were also accompanied by a Superman 75 Platinum. It is the real deal, as when the DC Marketing Coordinator asked what my favorite titles were so she could send a "thank you," I told her it was Batman and Superman.

Here is an image since this listing did not have one. You would have to repaint the cover to make a counterfeit of the regular Batman 492, as it has no price, the "492" is extra-large, and it has the platinum paint where the regular is a flat color.

I'd recommend correcting this listing.

Here is what a regular copy looks like compared to a Platinum. There is no way you could just lightly modify this cover. Even the horizontal bar across the top is platinum in addition to the Batman symbol behind the title, which would be a major alteration of the cover, and easy to detect.

Are you talking about #492 or #497? No one has disputed that there is a #492 Platinum. The part of the OP you quoted was for a #497 Platinum.
bosco685
Friday, August 06, 2010 9:42:24 AM
BluegrassComics wrote:
Are you talking about #492 or #497? No one has disputed that there is a #492 Platinum. The part of the OP you quoted was for a #497 Platinum.

My bad. I've never even heard of a counterfeit 497 before now, and assumed you all meant the 492 Platinum and were using the wrong number.

Thanks for the clarification.
HeroComics
Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:24:39 PM
Shop at My Store
brettscomicpile wrote:
These aftermarket "foil" Thor and Hulk comics reminded me of something.

Check THESE out:

http://www.ndcomics.com/miracleman.html

Aftermarket foil comics...but in this case they were authorized by the original publisher!

A strange, manufactured variant...using existing inventory.

Odd.

Best,

Brett

Back in the day, before eclipse had their flood (literally) the hardcover versions of Miracleman were just the trades, cut and glued to clothbound hardboards. Nutty, and odd. I'm not sure the ND comics are even legit, since I'm sure I could make them as well as you.

I'm sure Cat or Dean could verify, but ND are asking a lot for items that really are not variants, as much as aftermarket remanufactured editions, like X-Force #1.

Thx, mate!

-Justin Blake
vacantpassenger
Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:03:21 PM
Hey, all!

The main list on the first page had been updated with a new entry and more images added to help with detections! Keep an eye out for more!
fbijocko
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:12:59 PM
I bought a Incredible Hulk (1968)#443 marked Z-IVALID off one of the sellers on the site, is this a counterfeit ? I seen the Thor Gold variant on the database and it is clearly marked as a counterfeit. What does the Z-IVALID mean?
scotteaves
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:36:24 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
fbijocko wrote:
I bought a Incredible Hulk (1968)#443 marked Z-IVALID off one of the sellers on the site, is this a counterfeit ? I seen the Thor Gold variant on the database and it is clearly marked as a counterfeit. What does the Z-IVALID mean?

That notation is simply CCL's method of noting that the issue is already in the database. It's a duplicate marked for deletion.

Some stores don't bother to move their inventory from the ones marked Z-INVALID to the correct listing. It doesn't mean the book is counterfeit - just that it's (often) a duplicate listing.
SwiftMann
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:44:58 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
fbijocko wrote:

In this instance, the Z-Invalid issue was a newsstand edition of the "A" listing. CCL doesn't distinguish between newsstand and direct unless there are some significant differences such as price or cover layout.

No one is going to bother to counterfeit a $1.00 comic. The counterfeits come into play with big dollar items like the ones mentioned in this thread.

While I understand your paranoia around counterfeit comics, it's mostly unwarranted.
oakman29
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:48:21 PM
I'm actually looking for a TMNT #1 counterfeit comic.Anybody have one,send me a message.Applause
"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

wickedcomics
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:53:34 PM
oakman29 wrote:
I'm actually looking for a TMNT #1 counterfeit comic.Anybody have one,send me a message.Applause

Why would you want a counterfeit TMNT #1? It has the value of $0. I think for the most part people with a counterfeit would probably try to pass it off as the real thing and demand top dollar for it.
oakman29
Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:24:14 AM
wickedcomics wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

Why would you want a counterfeit TMNT #1? It has the value of $0. I think for the most part people with a counterfeit would probably try to pass it off as the real thing and demand top dollar for it.

It's just part of comics history,and would love to own one along side my original copy.
"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

fbijocko
Thursday, October 04, 2012 8:43:44 AM
SwiftMann wrote:
fbijocko wrote:

In this instance, the Z-Invalid issue was a newsstand edition of the "A" listing. CCL doesn't distinguish between newsstand and direct unless there are some significant differences such as price or cover layout.

No one is going to bother to counterfeit a $1.00 comic. The counterfeits come into play with big dollar items like the ones mentioned in this thread.

While I understand your paranoia around counterfeit comics, it's mostly unwarranted.
LOL I had no idea when it comes to buying online I am a newbie and after collecting for 20 years I have never heard of counterfiet comics. Then again it is first for me be on a forum thanks for the info.