Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Metropolis and their grading
11 pages: First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Nanosplicer
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:02:44 AM
Groups: Member
This guy joined the same day he made this thread and his last login was the very next day! You guys must have scared him off lol
comicscastle
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:12:29 AM
Nanosplicer wrote:
This guy joined the same day he made this thread and his last login was the very next day! You guys must have scared him off lol
That first day he started two or three theads and started insulting all of us on a couple of them. Believe me he made no friends.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

icarus201
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:33:19 PM
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host
Stickied for your continued pleasure. Big Grin
Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:52:45 PM
icarus201 wrote:
You da man.Applause

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

junkmonkey
Monday, February 16, 2009 1:10:20 PM
icarus201 wrote:

Wow, lol
SpidermanGeek
Friday, May 29, 2009 2:11:59 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
brianmaton.com wrote:
Yes, another CGC order has returned. This one featured only TWO comics, one was Spider-Man #103 which I will be selling as the first step to my "Million Dollar Plan", and the other was Strange Tales #103 which will go into my personal collection, unless it's restored which I'm sure it isn't. Let's open the CGC box and see how they graded these...

Whistle Whistle

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
Mick77
Friday, May 29, 2009 3:14:46 PM
squirrel master returns

My Uncle George Pierce 02/22/2012

Spread the word on Parkinson's Disease, help to find a cure!
!
jerico88
Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:22:45 AM
Hi

For what it is worth, I bought 2 golden age books from metropolis, sent them both in to be graded, each came back 1/2 grade lower than what the grade i bought them at.

Most dealers will not guarentee their grade against CGC and 1/2 grade is within reason,though it can be disappointing to have an 8.0 come back 7.5.

In my experience I am more gun shy about online sellers claiming NM/MT or MT and ending up with VF+ or NM- that are not worth the price of shipping back. Always checking feedback is an important skill to learn.

dunleavy75
Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:06:13 PM
LOL! I wish I would have been around for this guy.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
SuperSoldier124
Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:28:55 PM
lol same here.
add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

dunleavy75
Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:57:27 PM
Laughing

bobafett_esb
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:00:56 PM
dunleavy75 wrote:
LOL! I wish I would have been around for this guy.

Me too!

Man!, why does all the fun stuff happen while I'm away? Crying
Follow The Android's Dungeon on Facebook

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke (Johnny Depp) from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

gtb138
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:52:54 PM
I clicked his link again and it's no longer about his million dollar plan. LOL It's about his collection and how he's rebuilding it and stuff.

dunleavy75
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:29:53 PM
Poor Gobby...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

jonhagy2000
Saturday, May 08, 2010 10:59:33 AM
Nothing like those lovable guys who make you feel all warm inside. I really miss him. No, really, I do. I like to hear how CGC is the absolute authority on comic books and how their grading system is the only standard. I like how they charge you based on the book value and grade you give the book before they grade it and only charge you more if they happen to grade it higher. By the way, if you pay them and it grades lower than you suspected they don't give you any money back. I am speaking from personal experience. I wonder if everyone has missed that part about how CGC does not guarantee grades or values of books or sales prices of books either. The system is flawed because CGC has an incentive to grade books higher to make more money. A truely unbiased system would charge flat rates for grading and that would be it.
BluegrassComics
Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:17:44 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I've bought from Metropolis on a few occasions. Overall, I don't really like how they conduct their business, so I don't frequent them often. My main problems have been attitudes given to me by sales staff, and their whole "Make An Offer" option, which they might as well not have. One time I was shopping a $200 book and made an offer of $185. They countered with an offer of $199.50. I mean, why bother? I was just insulted by that for some reason, like it was a slap in the face. Then to add insult to injury, the book was on sale for 5% off two weeks later.

But on the times I have done business with them, I feel the books were accurately graded within reason. Delivery was a little slow, but well packaged.

As for comparing to CGC, I don't think you can say any dealer's grade will compare to CGC's grade on any single issue. Not that you can bank on with certainty. I've submitted many Silver and Bronze age books to CGC and there is always a grade that seems to make no sense with each submission. I've sent books that I thought were a slam-dunk 8.5 or 9.0, and get a 7.5 back because of some defect you can only see if you hold it at a certain angle, under certain lighting, and look with a magnifying glass. Then I will get grader notes and find that one grader gave it a 6.0, and two gave it an 8.5, with all three only noting the same defect. So instead of dismissing the 6.0, it somehow gets a 7.5 (average I guess). Or sometimes I will submit a book that in no way would I ever sell as more than an 8.5 and it will come back with a 9.2 or 9.4. I'll post scans of it on the collector's society forums, and they will all agree that there is no way it is a 9.2 or 9.4 (a "gift" grade) because of an obvious defect that somehow all the graders missed (no mention of it in the notes).

I'm not convinced that CGC can even grade the same book twice better than +/- one grade range. They also admit that they grade on a curve for Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Modern. So you can have a 8.5 Gold that looks worse than an 8.5 Silver, which looks worse than an 8.5 Bronze, which looks worse than an 8.5 modern. And some books may actually be Silver, but because they are more abundant, the Bronze curve is applied. Or if they are very rare, the Gold curve may apply. Plus there are other "curves" used. It makes it impossible to determine how a dealer's grades will stack up against CGC.
BluegrassComics
Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:28:31 PM
Shop at My Store
jonhagy2000 wrote:
Nothing like those lovable guys who make you feel all warm inside. I really miss him. No, really, I do. I like to hear how CGC is the absolute authority on comic books and how their grading system is the only standard. I like how they charge you based on the book value and grade you give the book before they grade it and only charge you more if they happen to grade it higher. By the way, if you pay them and it grades lower than you suspected they don't give you any money back. I am speaking from personal experience. I wonder if everyone has missed that part about how CGC does not guarantee grades or values of books or sales prices of books either. The system is flawed because CGC has an incentive to grade books higher to make more money. A truely unbiased system would charge flat rates for grading and that would be it.

Supposedly it is cost by book value because it costs them more to insure your book while on their premises and during return shipping. So they can't charge a flat rate because their carry costs are much more on a $10,000 book vs a $10 book.

I don't totally buy that. I know insurance rates on the return shipping do cost more as the price of the book goes up. So I buy that part.

I don't buy the part about on premise storage costs. I'm sure they have a $10 million policy or something like that and pay a fixed rate per year. I'm sure their coverage doesn't fluctuate as comics go in and out, because it would be a book keeping nightmare for the insurance company.

I also think the argument falls apart when you look at price difference for Modern vs Bronze. If I submit a $100 book from 1975 vs a $100 book from 1980, there is nothing to justify a $15 price hike, other than they can.
BluegrassComics
Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:31:39 PM
Shop at My Store
comicscastle wrote:
Nanosplicer wrote:
That first day he started two or three theads and started insulting all of us on a couple of them. Believe me he made no friends.

Everyone know you don't start insulting people for at least three or four months. Silenced
Ibis
Sunday, July 04, 2010 8:58:17 PM
funnygreengoblin wrote:
Hi. Yes, I don't need to be a member here for any amount of time to say what I feel. I'm not insulting anyone. Thanks for answering. Now, let me tell you that I have developed a report card on the various dealers that I buy from. What they stated the grade was and what it wound up being after coming back from CGC. When I get the comic from the dealer, I grade it myself, and my grading is just like CGC. Unfortunately, the dealers are not on the same page. What I really don't like is that.. when CGC first started, and I was one of the first to try out their new service, you could buy raw books for a normal price. Meaning... Overstreet. Now, the dealers price the comics AS IF they were already CGC graded, but the reality is that when you get them back from CGC they are a full grade lower, so now the dealers are really getting over. Which is why I wondered if any of you have had success with someone who is upstanding and trustworthy in their grading.

Actually, I'm PROUD of dealers for pricing raw books the same price as their CGC counterparts. The grade and case DO NOT make the comic more valuable. As far as the comic coming back a grade lower, grading standards have always changed and I think CGC grading is out of line anyway. It fluctuates according to their whim. I've seen the CGC give books with ugly spine creases a 9.4, and other times give nicer looking books an 8.5. I've seen them give a water damaged book a high grade because it came from a pedigree lot. Their grading is just as subjective as anyone else's grade. I really look forward to the day when it costs them too much to grade a book and they just go away.
Ibis
Sunday, July 04, 2010 9:18:36 PM
BluegrassComics wrote:
I've bought from Metropolis on a few occasions. Overall, I don't really like how they conduct their business, so I don't frequent them often. My main problems have been attitudes given to me by sales staff, and their whole "Make An Offer" option, which they might as well not have. One time I was shopping a $200 book and made an offer of $185. They countered with an offer of $199.50. I mean, why bother? I was just insulted by that for some reason, like it was a slap in the face. Then to add insult to injury, the book was on sale for 5% off two weeks later.

But on the times I have done business with them, I feel the books were accurately graded within reason. Delivery was a little slow, but well packaged.

My experiences with them have been pretty much the same. The "Click Here To Inquire" button might as well be labeled "Bait a Sucker". Not only did they initially fail to response to my inquiry on one book after 3 months, they priced it three times more than I'd pay for it in ANY condition when they finally did quote a price. I had to complain about their service to get a quote at all. I was very pleased about the grading and price on the things I did buy. I was annoyed they made me sign for a comic delivery. I had to take off a day from work to wait on a comic book. It (banned) me off. That's the main reason I am not buying from them anymore.