Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Two Trading Card questions for clarification

Two Trading Card questions for clarification

scotteaves
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:13:59 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
I've got a few questions that I'm looking for opinions/answers on. Please keep in mind that in both cases, I'm looking towards providing information to help search engines find them within the CCL library which will help bring more people to CCL.

1) Card titles/captions
The order I was informed to use to determine the Caption for Trading cards was as follows: Title on card, title on checklist, blank if nothing. After that conversation, I found the following: in the Trading Card Guidelines, Item 6 under New Items says - "Caption: Please briefly state what the item is in this space. You may put the character/s that is replicated and/or the specialty item included."

So - should the Guidelines replace the "blank if nothing" statement? I would say yes based on Guidelines being published, but would like a confirmation on that from those in the chain o' command.

2) Use of "Parallel" in Captions
Since Parallel card sets are entered in different ways, the usage of the word Parallel only applies to some Parallel sets. Why?

Parallel Base Sets are their own title. Title should include Parallel.
Parallel Subsets are variants of the original Subset. Title, nor caption, includes Parallel.

My concern is when someone uses a 'Net search engine to search for "Gold Parallel" or "Bronze Parallel" for a subset, they will NOT come up with the items in CCL's library because Parallel is not used. I've included Parallel in the Approved Terminology thread (5 posts from the bottom) with the intention of it being included in Captions. Should "Parallel" be included in a Caption when for Parallel Subsets?
ntkeith
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:32:09 PM
Groups: Guru, Member
1 - Captions

I agree here. What's on the card, what's on the checklist, brief description. Cards are different than comics, where the norm in comics is to leave this blank, cards norm is to have something here.

2 - Parallel

The original, non-board conversation about this was if the word "Parallel" was redundant. I do see your points, I'm not strong enough on the original stance to say for sure it is right. I did mention the idea that in the same field, which is limited, might run out of space if trying to do say "Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin (Gold Foil Parallel)" and anything where the title of the card is long. THat's why I am split, but love to hear other ideas. I do very much agree with the Search Engine idea, I am always leaning that way.
You've heard the legend, now see it come to life! I Want More Comics
The_Valiant_One
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:42:47 PM
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
The card guidelines came from the action figure guidelines which came from the comic guidelines, so there's going to be some stuff that might have bled through, in this case the caption info. It needs to be changed to what we discussed. Title on card OR title on checklist OR blank if nothing. I'll update the card guidelines spot on.

As for the word parallel, I agree it's a searchable term; I just don't want us to open it up to start trying to slide in multiple searchable terms to see if it sticks. Should we start putting parallel in the caption in this case? Thoughts?

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747 ext 103
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com

Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
ntkeith
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:50:26 PM
2 - Parallel In Title of Series

The reasoning behind why a complete parallel of a base set is it's own title versus smaller subsets getting variants all has to do with data management. A lot of collectors never care about the parallels because a full set is too hard to collect. So to keep the (Base Set) listings clean, they are not variants. But subsets are smaller, and it is better to put them there than come up with 4 titles and create clutter on that end.

All Base Set Parallels SHOULD use the word "Parallel" in the title, within the paranthetical information.

The question standing is if "Parallel" should be appended to the variants that are parallels, or is this redundant information (like using "Variant" in a comic cover description).
scotteaves
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 4:22:24 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
The_Valiant_One wrote:
The card guidelines came from the action figure guidelines which came from the comic guidelines, so there's going to be some stuff that might have bled through, in this case the caption info. It needs to be changed to what we discussed. Title on card OR title on checklist OR blank if nothing. I'll update the card guidelines spot on.

I think blank is the wrong way to go - for a number of reasons. Having a description in the Caption if there is no title or checklist will allow someone actually know what is on the card either when they search for it OR generate a wishlist. This will usually come into effect on either promos or chase subsets - not nearly as often on Base Sets. If a series had a bunch of non-numbered promos, how else can someone tell which one is which if images aren't available to them?

Is there some way we can designate that the caption on the card is NOT a title from the card/checklist in those cases? Parentheses around it? maybe []?

The_Valiant_One wrote:
As for the word parallel, I agree it's a searchable term; I just don't want us to open it up to start trying to slide in multiple searchable terms to see if it sticks. Should we start putting parallel in the caption in this case? Thoughts?

Only put it in the caption of a subset (which is a variant) - not in the parallel of a base set since the Parallel base set title should already include Parallel.
ntkeith
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:29:09 PM
I do remember now the idea of why the blank. The Item Bio is available for free form data, where the Cover Description/Caption field should be only what is exactly published on card or checklist. All the further info can go into Item Bio.
scotteaves
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:03:21 PM
ntkeith wrote:
I do remember now the idea of why the blank. The Item Bio is available for free form data, where the Cover Description/Caption field should be only what is exactly published on card or checklist. All the further info can go into Item Bio.

That's fine - just remember: 1) Bio is not visible when viewing a listing of cards in a set/subset either from software or website and 2) Still doesn't help when someone wants to carry a wishlist with them. (Hey, I'm just using your own stance on why more info in the caption.)
ntkeith
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:33:23 PM
scotteaves wrote:
ntkeith wrote:

That's fine - just remember: 1) Bio is not visible when viewing a listing of cards in a set/subset either from software or website and 2) Still doesn't help when someone wants to carry a wishlist with them. (Hey, I'm just using your own stance on why more info in the caption.)

On both these, there would always be something there if there were variants. Even the normal card would need a description of what makes it normal. So if it was the only card, which would be the only time it was blank, it would be OK since you could match by card number, just like matching comic books by issue number.
scotteaves
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:42:09 PM
ntkeith wrote:
scotteaves wrote:
ntkeith wrote:

On both these, there would always be something there if there were variants. Even the normal card would need a description of what makes it normal. So if it was the only card, which would be the only time it was blank, it would be OK since you could match by card number, just like matching comic books by issue number.

And when they are non-numbered promos? How then? Sure, I could open up each one to check the image and bio, but how would that work in a printed wishlist with no images?

ntkeith
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 9:10:51 PM
CHEATER!!! LOL, you wiped out the names.

OK, the rule isn't as firm and hard as "card title, checklist, nothing". Non-numbered definitely always need a description. Otherwise there is no way to tell them apart.

Exceptions to "nothing"...

- Variants, both the standard card and variant need a description.

- Non-numbered, since the image is the only detail, a description needs to be there.

BTW, and a big one at that, all my comments are opinion. I may touch a lot of cards, but I don't make the laws. And I have been wrong before. Twice, I think, in 31 years.
scotteaves
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:31:13 PM
ntkeith wrote:
CHEATER!!! LOL, you wiped out the names.

OK, the rule isn't as firm and hard as "card title, checklist, nothing". Non-numbered definitely always need a description. Otherwise there is no way to tell them apart.

Exceptions to "nothing"...

- Variants, both the standard card and variant need a description.

- Non-numbered, since the image is the only detail, a description needs to be there.

BTW, and a big one at that, all my comments are opinion. I may touch a lot of cards, but I don't make the laws. And I have been wrong before. Twice, I think, in 31 years.

That's not cheating - just making a visual representation for clarity. Whistle Laughing
a_Kid_4_life
Sunday, February 08, 2009 4:55:06 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Well I know the Odd Rods have quite a few cards with no wording on them to use & the backs have no info & I haven't look to see if there are any that would have the same # but in the price guide there is a description of what is on the card that could be used (if allowed). I think that could be a way to use the blank.
SwiftMann
Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:21:48 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
I haven't come up with a better solution for the wishlist problem with leaving the caption blank, but I agree with Valiant One, "Title on card OR title on checklist OR blank if nothing."

I find "descriptions" of the cards incredibly frustrating. Whether in the item bio or the item data. This isn't a paper price guide, each entry has an image, so we don't have to describe things that are obvious from the image.

That said, I do understand the problem with not knowing which card is which when creating a wishlist with nn cards. Than again, the wishlist is a bit of a disaster already. Gotta think something up for this...
ntkeith
Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:40:46 AM
SwiftMann wrote:
I haven't come up with a better solution for the wishlist problem with leaving the caption blank, but I agree with Valiant One, "Title on card OR title on checklist OR blank if nothing."

I find "descriptions" of the cards incredibly frustrating. Whether in the item bio or the item data. This isn't a paper price guide, each entry has an image, so we don't have to describe things that are obvious from the image.

That said, I do understand the problem with not knowing which card is which when creating a wishlist with nn cards. Than again, the wishlist is a bit of a disaster already. Gotta think something up for this...

I am thinking there has to be a better way to do the non-numbered cards. Marking them all 'nn' then adding a number is the same as just giving them a made up number. I have a technical idea to fix this, but have been waiting to discuss this with MrMiracle until some of the bigger changes get done, because while it isn't great today, 'nn' works enough.