Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » I need you to follow the description format above. It really speeds the approval process.

I need you to follow the description format above. It really speeds the approval process.

2 pages: [1] 2
jablax
Monday, May 07, 2007 10:31:10 AM
Groups: Member
I have seen this comment under my change rquests. I was wondering what it means exactly and where can I find the description format. Thanks for helping out someone with too little time and too much enthusiasm!

jb

Over 2.5 million players!
SwiftMann
Monday, May 07, 2007 10:49:43 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
HA! I was just coming here to post the exact same question.
Batman007
Monday, May 07, 2007 10:54:25 AM
Yeah what does it mean???
SwiftMann
Monday, May 07, 2007 11:15:05 AM
Also, I've just noticed an individual went through all my "Add Cover Title" requests and posted "No description" (can't tell how they voted as they are all finished the approval process). Uhm, not to be rude to the individual, but so what? The description could be anything and I'm not a words smith and don't really care about the "title description" anyway. I add as much as I think will be necessary to the Comments so a reviewer knows what I'm asking to be added, but I don't understand the need for me to add a description.
thedart
Monday, May 07, 2007 12:34:25 PM
SwiftMann wrote:
Also, I've just noticed an individual went through all my "Add Cover Title" requests and posted "No description" (can't tell how they voted as they are all finished the approval process). Uhm, not to be rude to the individual, but so what? The description could be anything and I'm not a words smith and don't really care about the "title description" anyway. I add as much as I think will be necessary to the Comments so a reviewer knows what I'm asking to be added, but I don't understand the need for me to add a description.

A Desc is not needed at all. A Cover Description is always nice so that a user will know which cover they are going to look at without clicking on the issue, but again it is not required.

Some people are making odd comments I noticed on the voting section of the submissions. I can only assume they are just writing something/anything just for the points they are getting on the review. The only comments that I ever leave are those that I think can help either the person that submitted the request or the person reviewing the request.
Delirium_of_Disorder
Monday, May 07, 2007 12:38:59 PM
But you don't get points for adding a comment, just a vote
Justice, like lightning, ever should appear . . . to few men run, but to all men fear

My Marvel Legends Customs: Delirium Customs

Playstation Network ID: NotSoProBenny

Pull List;
Angel: After The Fall
Buffy Season 8
Cable
New Warriors
Spawn
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Ultimate Human
Ultimate Iron Man II
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimates 3
Uncanny X-Men
Young X-Men
X-Factor
X-Force
X-Men: Legacy

Wish List;
Spawn #118-164
Ultimate Spider-Man #1,2,4,5,8,10
Ultimate Adventures #2-6
SwiftMann
Monday, May 07, 2007 12:39:31 PM
thedart wrote:
A Desc is not needed at all. A Cover Description is always nice so that a user will know which cover they are going to look at without clicking on the issue, but again it is not required.

I always throw in or add cover descriptions when there are 2 or more covers. This particular person is commenting on the TITLE description when adding an entirely new series. Either way, not necessary.
thedart
Monday, May 07, 2007 12:43:25 PM
Delirium_of_Disorder wrote:

Watch your point count when you vote. 2 Points per vote.
thedart
Monday, May 07, 2007 12:45:18 PM
thedart wrote:

Sorry, misread your quote. You are correct. Some people I've noticed just include a comment with each vote. Though I feel if you are going to leave a negative vote you should leave a comment as to why you are voting this way.
jwsimms
Monday, May 07, 2007 1:36:10 PM
I would also like to know where we can find the "official" description standard. I think I know what it is, but I would like to see it in writing.

I am the person who is voting against submissions that do not have a description. Cover Description is not just some willy-nilly field that you can put something in if you feel like it. Cover Description is what shows up in the tool tip when you hover over a cover title in your list. Like I said, I know there is a standard, and I'm pretty sure what it is, just haven't seen it in writing. The standard is meant to provide info on the publisher, years of publication, and in the case of limited series or series that have ended, the number of issues that were published, not including variants, and it is meant to provide this information in the least space possible. For example, the standard seems to be something like "Marvel 1999 - 2006 27 Issue(s)".

If you can all add this information AND ONLY THIS INFORMATION, in the proper format, in the cover description field, the database will be much cleaner and better organized. In that sense, it is VERY necessary.
SwiftMann
Monday, May 07, 2007 1:38:48 PM
If that's what Cover Description is, then I apologize for not adding. I had no clue that's where that was supposed to go. D'oh
jwsimms
Monday, May 07, 2007 1:45:15 PM
Believe me, I don't want to make anyone upset, and I would be just as happy voting yes to all the change requests to get my points, but I do try to look at each one and think about what is best for the overall database. Maybe it comes from being a computer programmer who spends a lot of time trying to keep my work databases clean, but I do think that if we can all stick to the standards, the product will be better in the long run.

CCL is a very powerful tool, and we all have a lot of power when it comes to changes to the database. You know where I'm going with this, right? With great power.....
SwiftMann
Monday, May 07, 2007 1:48:44 PM
jwsimms wrote:
I do think that if we can all stick to the standards, the product will be better in the long run.

Hey, I want it to be dead-on accurate too. There's plenty of edit/adds that make my head hurt because of the way the info is put in. I just think the "standards" need to be made very clear. Like I said, I never even realized Title Description was the spot where the Editor - Run Date - Issues went. I thought that was some literal description of the series as I'd seen a number of folks using it that way.
jwsimms
Monday, May 07, 2007 1:55:42 PM
I agree totally. When I say that I think I know what the standards are, that is just because I have had so many issues rejected for different reasons. It's like training a dog. LOL....

You're right, though. Some people put in literal descriptions when that information should be put in the comments for the submission, not the Cover Description. That information is only necessary to help the researchers decide whether to approve the request or not.

However, as you will see if you look at my next post (Action Comics Weekly), even the CCL employees seem confused sometimes.
Spider-Man
Monday, May 07, 2007 7:46:21 PM
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber
When you are doing a Change Request, you can put your mouse pointer over the words like Issue Description or Picture File and it will give you what the proper format is.
jablax
Monday, May 07, 2007 11:11:56 PM
Spider-Man wrote:
When you are doing a Change Request, you can put your mouse pointer over the words like Issue Description or Picture File and it will give you what the proper format is.

I thought I had done this, but next time I will try to be more exact!

Thanks for the help guys and keep up the god work!

jb

Over 2.5 million players!
GothamResident
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:10:46 AM
I too thought Cover description was for the cover. I think I even saw an admin post that.
I use to put in who has done a particular cover for an issue.

I figure the ADD COVER TITLE already had the publisher & years. Although w/ ongoings the years and # of issues is hard.
stevetuk
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:23:51 AM
thedart wrote:
thedart wrote:

Sorry, misread your quote. You are correct. Some people I've noticed just include a comment with each vote. Though I feel if you are going to leave a negative vote you should leave a comment as to why you are voting this way.

I only leave a comment for a negative, for that very reason, so the approver knows my vote is justified. Makes sense.
MetalunaMutant
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:24:44 AM
What if you don't know how many issues there are or between what years it was published?
jwsimms
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:28:44 AM
GothamResident wrote:
I too thought Cover description was for the cover.

The discussion is about the Description field on the Add Cover Title screen, not the Cover Description field on the individual issue screen.