Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Anyone else get Wolverine today?
2 pages: [1] 2
Bullseye131
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:32:27 PM
Groups: Member
Just got the 2XDVD and looking forward to watching it tonight. Now I can toss my bootleg copy. Laughing

Check out my comic book articles if you get the chance?

http://www.examiner.com/x-23390-Chicago-Comic-Books-Examiner

=================================================================

CCL-ers: Please support the Jordan Hackett Foundation by adding this link to your signature. www.jordanhackett.org

dunleavy75
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:52:23 PM
I'll pick it up eventually. I thought it was a decent flick.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
BobBretall
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:42:38 PM
Bullseye131 wrote:
Just got the 2XDVD and looking forward to watching it tonight. Now I can toss my bootleg copy. Laughing

I got the "special" collector set from Best Buy, it was the 2-disc Blu-Ray, plus a Wolverine Bust from Sideshow Collectibles PLUS it had a $50 gift card for Sideshow too.

Since I get stuff from Sideshow every now & again, this is a great deal. Whole thing was $42, and after I used my Best Buy gift certs from RewardZone, I walked out the door with this for $14.
Bob Bretall
Site Owner & Reviewer
https://comicspectrum.com/
dunleavy75
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:43:39 PM
^^^Wow! Now that was a good deal.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Jim
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:46:43 PM
I almost picked up the 2xDVD but opt'd to wait till it goes on sale at Target in a couple months for $10 like they all have so far...

I will be buying a copy though.
BurningDoom
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:57:36 AM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
I rented it. I still have yet to even see it.

-Nate-
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Jim
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:13:57 AM
BurningDoom wrote:
I rented it. I still have yet to even see it.

-Nate-

It's on my Netflix queue but it says "Very long wait" Sad
SpidermanGeek
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:08:38 AM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
ErrantEntertainment wrote:
I almost picked up the 2xDVD but opt'd to wait till it goes on sale at Target in a couple months for $10 like they all have so far...

I will be buying a copy though.

Same here, I'll wait till it hits the bargain bins

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
BurningDoom
Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:00:46 AM
I don't understand what all the bad talk about this movie was about. I liked it! And I'm not a Wolverine fan. It had a good story, solid acting, great special effects, and a lot of action. I really like how they tied all the characters together. The scene where Wolverine chops down the building-ladder piece by piece was a little too much, though.

-Nate-
Bullseye131
Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:18:33 AM
BurningDoom wrote:
I don't understand what all the bad talk about this movie was about. I liked it! And I'm not a Wolverine fan. It had a good story, solid acting, great special effects, and a lot of action. I really like how they tied all the characters together. The scene where Wolverine chops down the building-ladder down piece by piece was a little too much, though.

-Nate-

As much as I loathe the X-books I really like Jackman's Wolverine and the movie was damn good. I'm looking forward to the second one and am really happy they were smart enough to pull the plug on a damn Deadpool movie.

CCL-ers: Please support the Jordan Hackett Foundation by adding this link to your signature. www.jordanhackett.org

KingZombie
Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:56:04 PM
BurningDoom wrote:
I don't understand what all the bad talk about this movie was about. I liked it! And I'm not a Wolverine fan. It had a good story, solid acting, great special effects, and a lot of action. I really like how they tied all the characters together. The scene where Wolverine chops down the building-ladder down piece by piece was a little too much, though.

-Nate-

It was a great action movie, but a terrible Wolverine movie. I think that's what everyone is complaining about. I liked it, but I didn't love it. My biggest beef was giving the movie Wolverine bone claws just like in the comics, which I hate, hate, HATED. I was hoping they would avoid that for the movie version. All the stuff they changed for the movie and they KEEP that! At Wits' End
BurningDoom
Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:42:37 PM
KingZombie wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

-Nate-

It was a great action movie, but a terrible Wolverine movie. I think that's what everyone is complaining about. I liked it, but I didn't love it. My biggest beef was giving the movie Wolverine bone claws just like in the comics, which I hate, hate, HATED. I was hoping they would avoid that for the movie version. All the stuff they changed for the movie and they KEEP that! At Wits' End

So they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Because the biggest complaint about older comic movies is that they stray far from the established comics.

-Nate-
AdubSMASH
Friday, September 18, 2009 5:29:44 PM
complaining about the bone claws? seriously? c'mon dude. it was a good movie, and that is part of his origin. what all was changed that was so bad? besides the deadpool thing? im with burningdoom, it was a solid movie that i will watch probably 2 or 3 more times.
Raiders, A's and Warriors through thick and thin baby, east bay love
KingZombie
Saturday, September 19, 2009 12:20:14 AM
BurningDoom wrote:
KingZombie wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

-Nate-

So they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Because the biggest complaint about older comic movies is that they stray far from the established comics.

-Nate-

They're absolutely damned if they do and damned if they don't. Movie makers are always going to be whenever they try to adapt a property to the big screen. ESPECIALLY comic book adaptations. You're never going to satisfy everyone. Name one movie where they did. People have even complained that Sin City and Watchmen were TOO faithful (including a few here on CCL).

I don't care if they change stuff, as long as it works. And I love when they keep stuff... as long as it works. Bone claws... don't work. They never made sense and it was an incredibly lame retcon.

But look, I'm not saying that's the reason everyone else hated the movie. There are tons of other stuff people complained about. I'm just saying it's one of the things I hated the most.

AdubSMASH wrote:
complaining about the bone claws? seriously? c'mon dude. it was a good movie, and that is part of his origin. what all was changed that was so bad? besides the deadpool thing? im with burningdoom, it was a solid movie that i will watch probably 2 or 3 more times.

Yes, I hate the bone claws. Hated them from the very instant they were introduced in the Wolverine comic. But if you read my post, I don't say I hated the movie, like you said, it was GOOD. It wasn't great though. What wasn't great? What was changed that was so bad? Well, stuff like...

- making Sabretooth and Wolverine brothers.
- making Silver Fox and Emma Frost sisters.
- not explaining how Wolverine went from being called James to being called Logan.
- Wolverine was a pretty bad dude before he joined the X-Men. In the movie, he was no where near the sociopath he was originally in the comics.
- In the Weapon X series, when he first gets the adamantium claws, he goes bezerk and kills everyone. In the movie, he gets shot in the head and runs away. Probably THE biggest disappointment for me of the movie.
- Replacing the Hudsons finding Wolverine with some old couple. They didn't have to get into the whole Alpha Flight thing and it would have been cool to see Logan horning in on another couple prior to Jean and Scott.

I could go on but I think that's enough.
Bullseye131
Saturday, September 19, 2009 9:54:05 AM
AdubSMASH wrote:

Yes, I hate the bone claws. Hated them from the very instant they were introduced in the Wolverine comic. But if you read my post, I don't say I hated the movie, like you said, it was GOOD. It wasn't great though. What wasn't great? What was changed that was so bad? Well, stuff like...

- not explaining how Wolverine went from being called James to being called Logan.
- Wolverine was a pretty bad dude before he joined the X-Men. In the movie, he was no where near the sociopath he was originally in the comics.
- In the Weapon X series, when he first gets the adamantium claws, he goes bezerk and kills everyone. In the movie, he gets shot in the head and runs away. Probably THE biggest disappointment for me of the movie.
- Replacing the Hudsons finding Wolverine with some old couple. They didn't have to get into the whole Alpha Flight thing and it would have been cool to see Logan horning in on another couple prior to Jean and Scott.

Being an old X-Men fan from years ago I concur with your feelings on this, but allow me to supplement it with this: The average "civilian" has no idea what goes on in our comic books, and the average civilian doesn't like to do a lot of "thinking" if you will...sad, but true. They go to a movie to see the start, lots of explosions, and an end tied nicely with a bright bow. In short,comic movies are made for civilians, not comic guys. Through the nation comic guys would fill the theaters on that Friday and part of Saturday and that would be that, colossal flops!

Sadly, we no longer number in the millions anymore, so they have to have some sort of tie-in to something else throughout these 90-120-minute epics. This is why Steve Ditko quit Spider-Man all those years ago; he hated Stan's idea to tie things in and make them somehow relative. If they'd have put to celluloid the Weapon X slaughter it would have gotten an "R" rating, and that limits the viewing audience right there. Civilians want to know who this Victor guy is, how he fits Wolverine's tale and why he was betrayed by Silver Fox...everything has to fit or civilians would lose interest...imagine explaining 25-years of Wolverine to a non-comic fan! Wolverine was a pretty bad dude, but civilians want a hero they can root for, which Wolverine most certainly is not! He's the anti-hero; a guy you could root for but probably shouldn't. Dirty Harry doesn't work in this limited-intellect audience of today, KingZombie.

So, again, I concur, but I loved the movie anyway. I also know exactly why these things happened in the film and take it for what it was: a movie that underachieved but was good enough for a sequel. Dancing

ChubbyxLilxStar
Saturday, September 19, 2009 11:19:06 PM
Even with the few mistakes it was a great movie so I got itBig Grin
What movie doesn't have some kinda mistake??
Plus I was the lame one that walked out during credits so...I got to see the after the credits Deadpool thing finally, which is a bonus for me anyway
Best quote ever:
Chamber: (about to link his abilities with Spider-Man's spider sense to transmit what Spiderman feels about the poisoned money to the people; read the comic) Skin ... Even if it fails ..... you're brillant(he thought of the idea) . Will you .... trust me, Spider-Man ?
Spider-Man: At this point, I'll try anything --- except Karaoke, of course .
Chamber: No jokes, please ... just let out ... your feelings ... without barriers.
Spider-Man: Uhhh, you're making this sound an awful lot like Karaoke ... Oops. sorry.
KingZombie
Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:27:34 PM
Bullseye131 wrote:
AdubSMASH wrote:

Being an old X-Men fan from years ago I concur with your feelings on this, but allow me to supplement it with this: The average "civilian" has no idea what goes on in our comic books, and the average civilian doesn't like to do a lot of "thinking" if you will...sad, but true. They go to a movie to see the start, lots of explosions, and an end tied nicely with a bright bow. In short,comic movies are made for civilians, not comic guys. Through the nation comic guys would fill the theaters on that Friday and part of Saturday and that would be that, colossal flops!

Sadly, we no longer number in the millions anymore, so they have to have some sort of tie-in to something else throughout these 90-120-minute epics. This is why Steve Ditko quit Spider-Man all those years ago; he hated Stan's idea to tie things in and make them somehow relative. If they'd have put to celluloid the Weapon X slaughter it would have gotten an "R" rating, and that limits the viewing audience right there. Civilians want to know who this Victor guy is, how he fits Wolverine's tale and why he was betrayed by Silver Fox...everything has to fit or civilians would lose interest...imagine explaining 25-years of Wolverine to a non-comic fan! Wolverine was a pretty bad dude, but civilians want a hero they can root for, which Wolverine most certainly is not! He's the anti-hero; a guy you could root for but probably shouldn't. Dirty Harry doesn't work in this limited-intellect audience of today, KingZombie.

So, again, I concur, but I loved the movie anyway. I also know exactly why these things happened in the film and take it for what it was: a movie that underachieved but was good enough for a sequel. Dancing

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and desire to defend the movie but I have to stress again that I liked the movie. I have a gripe or gripes with nearly every comic based movie that comes out, but I love so many of them anyway. BD said he didn't understand all the backtalk about this movie and I was simply explaining it and adding what I didn't like about it. And I understand changing characters and story lines for mass appeal. IF they make sense. I didn't see the necessity for a lot of what they did in the movie.
gtb138
Monday, September 21, 2009 1:15:52 AM
Ok, I have a question and maybe I missed the answer somewhere along the way. In the movie and the comics, Wolverine has bone claws and they look pretty much like bones. The lace his skeleton with adamantium and all of the sudden they are razor sharp and smooth. All the rest of his bones look like bones, just with adamantium. Why did the claws change into smooth knife-like blades? This has bothered me for years. LOL

BurningDoom
Monday, September 21, 2009 3:00:59 AM
gtb138 wrote:
Ok, I have a question and maybe I missed the answer somewhere along the way. In the movie and the comics, Wolverine has bone claws and they look pretty much like bones. The lace his skeleton with adamantium and all of the sudden they are razor sharp and smooth. All the rest of his bones look like bones, just with adamantium. Why did the claws change into smooth knife-like blades? This has bothered me for years. LOL

Because the Bone Claws were sharp too.

-Nate-
KingZombie
Monday, September 21, 2009 8:01:12 PM
BurningDoom wrote:
gtb138 wrote:

Because the Bone Claws were sharp too.

-Nate-

Yyyeeaaah, but no. Not really. They were just pointy at the end but they weren't blades like once he got the adamantium. That's one of the things that bugs me about it. And I'm talking strictly about the movie, I know in the comics, different artists drew the claws differently. If I were to write Marvel for a No-Prize though, I'd suggest that they removed the bone claws altogether and replaced them with completely metal blades. Which, mind you, doesn't make me accept the bone claws any more. Phbbbbt