Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Library Binding
gothamcentral79
Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:37:16 AM
Groups: Member
Anyone here ever done it? Vince B from 11 o' clock comics has been talking it up lately so I decided to have two volumes made to try it out. He recommended librarybinding.com.

The first volume I'm having made:

Day of Vengeance Infinite Crisis Special
Shadowpact #1-25

The second volume is (all the post Ennis Punisher Max stuff)

Punisher Max #61-75
Force of Nature One Shot
Little Black Book One Shot
Naked Kill One Shot
Punisher Max Xmas Special

Depending on how those turn out I've got more in mind.

Movies:
Animal Kingdom (Michod, 2010) B+
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-
Dogtooth (Lanthimos, 2009) A
The Secret of Kells (Moore & Twomey, 2009) B
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (Herzog, 2009) C-

Playing: Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition (360)
thomas4d4
Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:19:34 AM
We've had 2 threads on this topic, but I can't seem to find them when I search.Wall
Can someone help me?
Xylob
Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:24:41 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
would you have them remove the pages that have only ads on both sides?
how much does this cost?
I've been considering it, but I dunno... I do buy just for reading, no grand delusions of getting rich some day off my funny book collection.
What happens to all the covers?
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
Sirs
Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:42:05 PM
I know it's good to keep the comics readable but wouldn't it be just as easy to buy a trade or omnibus and not destroy the comics? I know I'd only do it with readers but still.
You Gotta Go Here

If you can help with anything please check this out

Our Little Binga
Xylob
Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:12:16 PM
I'm working on getting all appearances of a character in chronological order, including appearances in titles besides their own - some of that isn't going to be in a TPB.
Also, I've noticed that especially with DC lately that their TPBs are something like "collects issues 12-14, 17, 19, and 21-23". Screw that, now I still have to buy 15, 16, 18, and 20...
Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
gothamcentral79
Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:12:18 PM
Xylob wrote:
would you have them remove the pages that have only ads on both sides?
how much does this cost?
I've been considering it, but I dunno... I do buy just for reading, no grand delusions of getting rich some day off my funny book collection.
What happens to all the covers?

Nope, I had them leave the ads in. The covers are bound along with the issue. I've heard from people that had all the covers removed and added at the back or had extra ads removed due to trying to fit as much in as possible but I'm not gonna get that wild with it. I just want the books in a volume where I am more likely to re-read and look nice on the shelf.
Movies:
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-

gothamcentral79
Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:18:15 PM
Sirs wrote:
I know it's good to keep the comics readable but wouldn't it be just as easy to buy a trade or omnibus and not destroy the comics? I know I'd only do it with readers but still.

Well I wouldn't do it for books that I could get easily in hardcovers or omnibuses. I can say with certainty that they will not make a Shadowpact omnibus. They do have trades but they didn't put the issues in order.

I'm mainly doing it for books and series that aren't being collected like one-shots or putting together series that go together but aren't collected together.

I don't collect comics at all with any expectation of them being worth money, I collect them to read them this makes it easier to do that.
Movies:
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-

antikryst
Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:27:03 PM
one of my mom's aunts collected comics when she was younger... wonder woman, flash, green lantern, x-men to name a few.

she found out that i collected x-men so she lent me 2 bound volumes of silver age x-men. i remember them being from issue 8 onwards... it was sad. but i was glad to have been able to read them. i dont remember seeing marvel masterworks back then (18 years ago?) so i was happy to be able to read some early stuff... but it was sad nonetheless.

not saying that the newer stuff would get expensive one day... but a kid who would see these books 20-30 years from now would probably feel the same way i did.
bovard
Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:46:47 PM
There's lots of different ways to have your comics bound. A library style binding is one - This is basically a hardback with cloth covering.

Creating a bound volume is not uncommon, or at least did'nt used to be.

Would be nice if someone could bring back those old threads that thomas4d4 mentioned.
Sirs
Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:03:45 PM
gothamcentral79 wrote:

Well I wouldn't do it for books that I could get easily in hardcovers or omnibuses. I can say with certainty that they will not make a Shadowpact omnibus. They do have trades but they didn't put the issues in order.

I'm mainly doing it for books and series that aren't being collected like one-shots or putting together series that go together but aren't collected together.

I don't collect comics at all with any expectation of them being worth money, I collect them to read them this makes it easier to do that.

I don't collect them either hoping they'll be worth money at anytime. I collect them because I love to collect stuff Laughing To me it's a challenge to find the best ones I can at the cheapest price. So to me damaging even the screwed up ones drives me nuts I hate seeing the quarter boxes with comics loose in them, yeah I'm anal on alot of things stuff like that silly things drive me nuts, so doing comics that way just wouldn't do for me.
You Gotta Go Here

If you can help with anything please check this out

Our Little Binga
thomas4d4
Friday, November 13, 2009 12:06:21 PM
antikryst wrote:
one of my mom's aunts collected comics when she was younger... wonder woman, flash, green lantern, x-men to name a few.

she found out that i collected x-men so she lent me 2 bound volumes of silver age x-men. i remember them being from issue 8 onwards... it was sad. but i was glad to have been able to read them. i dont remember seeing marvel masterworks back then (18 years ago?) so i was happy to be able to read some early stuff... but it was sad nonetheless.

not saying that the newer stuff would get expensive one day... but a kid who would see these books 20-30 years from now would probably feel the same way i did.

Well as far as the worth goes, I've seen a bound copy of Cap #100 - #125 fetch good money on E-Bay. And just think that the book you read 18 years ago is probably in the same condition that you read it in 18 years ago! I love the smell, the letters pages, the Bullpen Bulletins, and the adds of those old Marvel comics. You're not going to find that in a reprint book!
bovard
Friday, November 13, 2009 1:12:29 PM
thomas4d4 wrote:
antikryst wrote:

Well as far as the worth goes, I've seen a bound copy of Cap #100 - #125 fetch good money on E-Bay. And just think that the book you read 18 years ago is probably in the same condition that you read it in 18 years ago! I love the smell, the letters pages, the Bullpen Bulletins, and the adds of those old Marvel comics. You're not going to find that in a reprint book!

It's definately a grey area as far as what this does to the value. But, as thomas4d4 mentioned that Cap volume still sold fairly high.

One thing to remember about a bound volume, is that the books are still the books. If you have some rare or valuable comics, and they happen to have been bound in a volume, it's possible they might be really well preserved compared to other issues of the same, that were tossed around, creased up, etc.
antikryst
Friday, November 13, 2009 1:44:01 PM
bovard wrote:
thomas4d4 wrote:
antikryst wrote:

It's definately a grey area as far as what this does to the value. But, as thomas4d4 mentioned that Cap volume still sold fairly high.

One thing to remember about a bound volume, is that the books are still the books. If you have some rare or valuable comics, and they happen to have been bound in a volume, it's possible they might be really well preserved compared to other issues of the same, that were tossed around, creased up, etc.

i remember them being in good condition as it was bound probably in the 70s. everything was trimmed though... thats what i remember.

im wishing marvel masterworks were actual scans of old books... same as the hardbound 500 amazing spider-man covers i picked up. covers were actual scans of old books... some were in non-mint so you could actually see yellowing, staining, and creasing... it was lovely. marvel masterworks looks too clean for me... but im getting them anyways :p
bovard
Friday, November 13, 2009 1:54:26 PM
antikryst wrote:
bovard wrote:
thomas4d4 wrote:
antikryst wrote:

i remember them being in good condition as it was bound probably in the 70s. everything was trimmed though... thats what i remember.

im wishing marvel masterworks were actual scans of old books... same as the hardbound 500 amazing spider-man covers i picked up. covers were actual scans of old books... some were in non-mint so you could actually see yellowing, staining, and creasing... it was lovely. marvel masterworks looks too clean for me... but im getting them anyways :p

The trimming is unfortunate, and would be a factor. if I were ever doing a bound volume, would line up all the comics at the top page edge, then leave the foredge and bottom uncut. This was a common practice in older books, and you often hear the term "uncut," that's what it refers too.

Still, given a rare or valuable book, what would be preferred - a book in FR/GD, etc, condition or a FN that had been trimmed. It's hard to say exactly, ideally it would be better never to have been trimmed...

The Marvel Masterworks are pretty cool.
gothamcentral79
Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:56:09 PM
Got my first batch back today:

The Shadowpact volume collects Day of Vengeance Infinite Crisis Special & Shadowpact #1-25.
The Punisher volume collects Force of Nature, Little Black Book, MAX X-Mas Special, Naked Kill and then #61-75 which is all the post Ennis Punisher MAX issues.

I was so pleased with how they turned out I immediately sent out three more volumes to be bound:

Deadenders #1-16
Wolverine (One-Shot's) 22 Wolverine One Shot issues that came out in the last two or so years
Wolverine (Mini's) The End, Logan, Manifest Destiny, Old Man Logan
Movies:
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-

bovard
Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:07:31 PM
Very nice! Applause
Xylob
Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:18:05 PM
so your punisher volume is 25+ issues, the Shadowpact looks thicker
here's the big question: how much $$ did it cost for each?

also, did you have them leave out 2-sided ads? where's the covers? how do 'splash' pages look, ya know the ones where 1 image covers two pages like a 'centerfold'.
Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

gothamcentral79
Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:13:40 PM
Xylob wrote:
so your punisher volume is 25+ issues, the Shadowpact looks thicker
here's the big question: how much $$ did it cost for each?

also, did you have them leave out 2-sided ads? where's the covers? how do 'splash' pages look, ya know the ones where 1 image covers two pages like a 'centerfold'.

The basic cost for each volume is $15 and then shipping (UPS or they now also do media mail if you like). Everything that you see on the two volumes is the basic cost except for the Punisher front cover stamp which cost an extra $4. Their are a bunch of extras that you can choose if you want to but the basic price for what you get is incredible. They have tons of colors to choose from and from what I've read the recommended max size is around 25 issues per volume.

The first batch I didn't remove anything from the issues. The covers are binded right along with the issues. I plan on leaving ads in but if you want the ads removed you need to do that yourself. For my second batch I removed the 3 or 4 page previews that were in the back of some of the Wolverine issues that were for different unrelated Marvel series. And for the Giant Size Wolverine I removed the 30 or so pages of reprint material that they threw in the back of the issue.

As far as centerfolds go it isn't 100% perfect because they have to do some trimming to bind them but it looks about the same as you would see in a tpb or hardcover.
Movies:
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-

gothamcentral79
Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:15:09 PM
And I think you miscounted on the Punisher volume it's 19 issues and the Shadowpact volume was 26 issues.
Movies:
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-

bovard
Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:06:49 PM
I got to say again; Very nicely done! Looks professional, and skillfully bound. That's coming from someone who does bookbinding.

For the price, and knowing what kind of time and materials go into a job like that, seems very reasonable. I might even send him some.