Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » DC Comics » JM Straczynski on Wonder Woman and Superman

JM Straczynski on Wonder Woman and Superman

chiller67
Monday, March 08, 2010 1:26:58 PM
Groups: Member
Wow! I think this is great news. I've been getting WW since it's re-launch some 41 issues ago and while I'm sad to see Gail Simone leave, this could be fantastic for the WW title. JMS will probably pull a few more readers to the book.
His Brave and the Bold run has been superb. Can't wait to see his take on Superman. A character JMS has never hidden his desire to write for.

Oh tremble with fear at the house of ideas, DC is on the march!

What does everyone else think?
Dementia5
Monday, March 08, 2010 1:47:25 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
It is possible that JMS entry into the Superman legacy will bear the same caliber as Byrne's run years ago. That is my hope at least, he is one of the finest writers in the business. How well it is accepted remains to be seen, but his tenure on Fantastic Four was a little disappointing while his work on ASM is near legendary.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

crackerjack1
Monday, March 08, 2010 1:54:27 PM
I haven't liked his Brave and the Bold at all (dropped after 2 1/2 issues), never cared for the Twelve or Red Circle stuff. I loved his Amazing Spider-Man and Supreme Power run, but outside of that he hasn't done anything great....lately.

I'll check out the first issues of Wonder Woman as I did for Brave and the Bold. I already get Superman so that doesn't change anything anyway.
chiller67
Monday, March 08, 2010 2:09:24 PM
I never bought the Red Circle stuff either, mainly because I couldn't care less about the featured characters. I remember buying some impact comics when they came out (early 90's?) and didn't care much for them either.
He really seems to want to write Superman which I think makes a bit of a difference. I hope it could be up there with the Byrne stuff and his run on ASM.
He is a great writer but like anyone, doesn't get it right every time.
I think his brave and the bold has been a nice departure from the continuity heavy, multiple issue story-arc, decompressed story-telling approach which proliferates modern comics. Done-in-one storytellinbg is becoming a bit of an art form these days - check out the current Jonah Hex for some fine examples of this type of storytelling.
crackerjack1
Monday, March 08, 2010 2:15:10 PM
chiller67 wrote:
I never bought the Red Circle stuff either, mainly because I couldn't care less about the featured characters. I remember buying some impact comics when they came out (early 90's?) and didn't care much for them either.
He really seems to want to write Superman which I think makes a bit of a difference. I hope it could be up there with the Byrne stuff and his run on ASM.
I think his brave and the bold has been a nice departure from the continuity heavy, multiple issue story-arc, decompressed story-telling approach which proliferates modern comics. Done-in-one storytellinbg is becoming a bit of an art form these days - check out the current Jonah Hex for some fine examples of this type of storytelling.

That's funny because I love the Jonah Hex series. I think I just miss the Mark Waid run and keep comparing to that.
chiller67
Monday, March 08, 2010 2:25:55 PM
crackerjack1 wrote:
chiller67 wrote:

That's funny because I love the Jonah Hex series. I think I just miss the Mark Waid run and keep comparing to that.

Jonah Hex Rocks!
I've never been a fan of DC's western/cowboy stuff. But The current Jonah Hex series is outstanding. It is a bit nihilistic at times but, boy, you sure wouldn't mess with Jonah hex.

Mark Waid had a great run, totally agree. JMS' approach is quite different though and was a bit of a gear change wasn't it.
BurningDoom
Monday, March 08, 2010 4:05:12 PM
NOOO!!! Crying

JMS cannot ruin Superman! He already ruined Spider-Man. This sucks.

-Nate-
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
plex
Monday, March 08, 2010 4:22:10 PM
Still don't really care about Wonder Woman, so I'm not excited about that one.

But Superman will be really cool, especially if he does as awesome as he did on Thor. My only concern is that he always seems to take on too many projects and then everything gets later and later and later until someone else just ends up taking over.

But I am looking forward top see what he will do with Superman, especially since this is his dream write.
Dementia5
Monday, March 08, 2010 4:51:22 PM
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

LOL!

As if Superman needs any help in ruining itself. Can anyone inform me of a single noteworthy story in the SM title over the past 10 years? Ooh

At the very least it could put SM back in the running for distribution. The Superman title couldn't even crack the top 30 in sales for 2009...
"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

SuperSoldier124
Monday, March 08, 2010 5:48:55 PM
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

bingo! F!@#K JMS. hated him on ASM, he was decent on thor but good ole joe q wouldnt let him. about the only decent that fattso has done. who knows though maybe he'll turn louis into a stank who has an affair and 2 twins with lex luthor! oh yeah! have fun DC. Rolling Eyes
add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

jsoto66
Monday, March 08, 2010 8:29:19 PM
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

bingo! F!@#K JMS. hated him on ASM, he was decent on thor but good ole joe q wouldnt let him. about the only decent that fattso has done. who knows though maybe he'll turn louis into a stank who has an affair and 2 twins with lex luthor! oh yeah! have fun DC. Rolling Eyes

Um, to be fair, JMS had been very vocal online on other comics sites and his own site or blog about his not wanting to do either the Gwen story or the OMD story and didnt even want his name on them. He specifically said OMD was LAZY and no fiction writer should have written that as "magic" in that sense without rules makes no sense. Thus, the split between him and Joe Q, which he needed an intermediary and their relationship is rocky through today.
SuperSoldier124
Monday, March 08, 2010 9:39:48 PM
jsoto66 wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

Um, to be fair, JMS had been very vocal online on other comics sites and his own site or blog about his not wanting to do either the Gwen story or the OMD story and didnt even want his name on them. He specifically said OMD was LAZY and no fiction writer should have written that as "magic" in that sense without rules makes no sense. Thus, the split between him and Joe Q, which he needed an intermediary and their relationship is rocky through today.

dont care. still hate him Not Talking

jsoto66
Monday, March 08, 2010 10:29:32 PM
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
jsoto66 wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

dont care. still hate him Not Talking

Ah, forgot - comic fans - reasoning need not apply.

SuperSoldier124
Monday, March 08, 2010 11:20:38 PM
nope. i'm american. narrowminded.

BurningDoom
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:19:04 AM
jsoto66 wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

Those were the worst of his run, but not the only stuff I hated. I hated his entire run. I was a fan of the 80s and 90s Spider-Man, and JMS went in an entirely different direction.

I understand comics have to change to keep up with the times and bring in new fans. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

-Nate-
BurningDoom
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:22:17 AM
Dementia5 wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
NOOO!!! Crying

-Nate-

LOL!

As if Superman needs any help in ruining itself. Can anyone inform me of a single noteworthy story in the SM title over the past 10 years? Ooh

At the very least it could put SM back in the running for distribution. The Superman title couldn't even crack the top 30 in sales for 2009...

Granted. All I liked in the last 10 years was the creative team right before this stupid World of New Krypton story happened (I loved the Brainiac storyline, and the Kryptionians on Earth storyline). Oh, and I liked "Our Worlds at War", which was a crossover event but one very centered on Superman, much like Blackest Night is to Green Lantern right now.

If we could only get back to the greatness that the Superman books were in the late 80s and early 90s. John Byrne, Jerry Ordway, and Dan Jurgens were great writers for Supes.

-Nate-