Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Horror Movies
BurningDoom
Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:27:05 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
So this thread is inspired by Dementia5's Horror movie thread. It got me thinking about horror movies.

What are some of your favorite horror movies? What movies actually scared you? What movies do you think are crap to the genre? Whatever you want to share about horror movies.

I love horror movies! I've been watching them since I was about 5 years old, about the same time I started reading comics too. Maybe I should have been a little more sheltered growing up, but oh well, I'm not a mass-murderer so it's okay. My first three horror movies I remember watching was the original Dracula (1930s) with Bela Lugosie, Monster Squad (an 80s movie that is basically The Goonies vs. Universal Monsters, but I loved it), and the movie that scared the piss out of me: A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original) with Freddy Krueger.

My favorite sub-genre of horror is zombie movies. I love em! They just relay that sense of chaos, hopelessness, and claustrophobia better than most other horror movies. The George Romero zombies movies are the best one IMO: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, and Diary of the Dead. On the ones that had remakes, I liked both the originals and remakes, but the originals are the best versions IMO. Other good zombie mentions: Zombie, Return of the Living Dead (the first two were good when they didn't take themselves so seriously), Resident Evil (first movie was good at least), 28 Days Later, and the hilarious Shaun of the Dead. I also like vampire movies, at least vampire movies where the vampire doesn't sparkle in the sun, IT DISTINTEGRATES! Good vampire mentions: From Dusk Till Dawn, Dracula 2000, Blade movies, Underworld movies, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Innocent Blood, Night-Flier. And of course the over-the-top gorefest and slasher movies of the late 70s and through the 80s are horror gems! So many: Nightmare on Elm Streets, Friday the 13ths, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, Night of the Demons, Phantasms, all the B drive-in and straight-to-video gorefests, and even the recent House of 1000 Corpses fits nicely into this sub-genre of horror.

I'd say my favorite specific series is the Nightmare on Elm Street series. I grew up on em, and the first one geuninely scared me (I was 5 or 6 at the time). The later ones weren't as scary, but they were morbidly humorous, which is quite entertaining! And Freddy Krueger is a horror icon the likes of Dracula or Frankenstein now, so that's gotta mean something.

Thoughts, arguments, replies?

-Nate-
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
dunleavy75
Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:35:57 PM
Groups: Member
BurningDoom wrote:
So this thread is inspired by Dementia5's Horror movie thread. It got me thinking about horror movies.

What are some of your favorite horror movies? What movies actually scared you? What movies do you think are crap to the genre? Whatever you want to share about horror movies.

I love horror movies! I've been watching them since I was about 5 years old, about the same time I started reading comics too. Maybe I should have been a little more sheltered growing up, but oh well, I'm not a mass-murderer so it's okay. My first three horror movies I remember watching was the original Dracula (1930s) with Bela Lugosie, Monster Squad (an 80s movie that is basically The Goonies vs. Universal Monsters, but I loved it), and the movie that scared the piss out of me: A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original) with Freddy Krueger.

My favorite sub-genre of horror is zombie movies. I love em! They just relay that sense of chaos, hopelessness, and claustrophobia better than most other horror movies. The George Romero zombies movies are the best one IMO: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, and Diary of the Dead. On the ones that had remakes, I liked both the originals and remakes, but the originals are the best versions IMO. Other good zombie mentions: Zombie, Return of the Living Dead (the first two were good when they didn't take themselves so seriously), Resident Evil (first movie was good at least), 28 Days Later, and the hilarious Shaun of the Dead. I also like vampire movies, at least vampire movies where the vampire doesn't sparkle in the sun, IT DISTINTEGRATES! Good vampire mentions: From Dusk Till Dawn, Dracula 2000, Blade movies, Underworld movies, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Innocent Blood, Night-Flier. And of course the over-the-top gorefest and slasher movies of the late 70s and through the 80s are horror gems! So many: Nightmare on Elm Streets, Friday the 13ths, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, Night of the Demons, Phantasms, all the B drive-in and straight-to-video gorefests, and even the recent House of 1000 Corpses fits nicely into this sub-genre of horror.

I'd say my favorite specific series is the Nightmare on Elm Street series. I grew up on em, and the first one geuninely scared me (I was 5 or 6 at the time). The later ones weren't as scary, but they were morbidly humorous, which is quite entertaining! And Freddy Krueger is a horror icon the likes of Dracula or Frankenstein now, so that's gotta mean something.

Thoughts, arguments, replies?

-Nate-

+1 I really enjoy the classics the best (Universal) but I also love current stuff to (Underworld).

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
puyaybusto
Monday, March 22, 2010 9:07:39 AM
I think you have to be able to define the difference between Horror and Scary movies. My definition is horror movies are the fun cheesy style romps where were not expected to be really scared, but expected to have a good time in the process of being entertained, no matter how poorly it is done (Friday the 13th, NIghtmare on Elm Street, Halloween)

Scary movies though are the mental trick playing ones of the bunch were the only intent is to scare you. Me personally, I won't pay to be scared nor do I care to be, so these movies don't appeal to me. From the ones I have seen (Ring, Grudge, Paranormal Activity, etc.) they always get you scared but have no actual substance, with their horrible endings that come out of no where. Why would a Ghost haunt you if all it really needs is help?

So all of that aside my favorite horror movies are in no real order:

Dead Alive (always my fav)
Evil Dead 2 (always #2) (don't care for #1 or #3. AOD was really too cheesy and played off of the elements that worked really well in #2)
Friday the 13th (any)
Halloween (almost all)
Of the Dead movie series
Bad Taste
Undead
Slither
Trick r Treat
Howling

I know I am forgetting more but it's early in the morning.

ShenValleyInitiative
Monday, March 22, 2010 10:55:23 AM
Anything with Zombies, even the bad ones.
SpidermanGeek
Monday, March 22, 2010 12:13:31 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
Favorite Classics:
Night Of The Living Dead (1969)
Frankenstein (1931)
Evil Dead (1981)

Favorite Franchise:
Friday the 13th

Movie that scared me the most upon viewing:
Poltergeist (I was about 7 when I saw this)

Movie that had a long lasting "scare" impact on me:
Candyman (to this day, I still can't say "Candyman" 5 times in the mirror)

Horror movie, in my opinion, that stands the test of time:
The Exorcist. It's as good today as it was when it was first released. A scene-for-scene update of this movie would contend with any of today's horror flicks.

Favorite Horror Genre:
Zombie Movies. Think of it, you can get the full range of emotion from zombie movies. Laughter, Fear, disgust, suspense, etc.

I've always enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, but I only saw the original after I had already seen parts 2 through 5. When I finally got a hold of a copy to watch.. it really wasn't impressive at all to me.

These are my most overrated horror movies:
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

It's not to say that these aren't classics, it's just that by the time I saw these for the first time, they were very underwhelming and didn't live up to the hype.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
punisherfan1138
Monday, March 22, 2010 11:47:24 PM
My favorite horror movie is WEDDING CRASHERS...I can still see it when I close my eyes!Crying
ChubbyxLilxStar
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:44:54 AM
Any and all zombie movies. Ask Tommy I LOOOOVE me some zombies.
Currently Dawn of the Dead (2004) is my favorite because its sitting in my dvd player Tongue

Drag Me to Hell I like because it digusted me and i like when horror movies do that.

The old Nightmare films were great, more funny on most parts then horror to me.
Best quote ever:
Chamber: (about to link his abilities with Spider-Man's spider sense to transmit what Spiderman feels about the poisoned money to the people; read the comic) Skin ... Even if it fails ..... you're brillant(he thought of the idea) . Will you .... trust me, Spider-Man ?
Spider-Man: At this point, I'll try anything --- except Karaoke, of course .
Chamber: No jokes, please ... just let out ... your feelings ... without barriers.
Spider-Man: Uhhh, you're making this sound an awful lot like Karaoke ... Oops. sorry.
SpidermanGeek
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:36:53 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
ChubbyxLilxStar wrote:
Any and all zombie movies. Ask Tommy I LOOOOVE me some zombies.
Currently Dawn of the Dead (2004) is my favorite because its sitting in my dvd player Tongue

Drag Me to Hell I like because it digusted me and i like when horror movies do that.

The old Nightmare films were great, more funny on most parts then horror to me.

You should watch Evil Dead 2

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
jsoto66
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:44:45 PM
I also love my gory horrorB/exploitation movies from the 70s and 80's! I have one that's been really bugging me for awhile maybe someone here knows.

Back in the mid 80's there was somekind of documentary on horror movies that was shown on regular TV. It just showed several scenes of different movies; a compilation special. There was one I didnt know and I didn't get the name of. Basically the a guy walks into a room and there is a huge nasty looking brown monster/demon thing (kinda like a more evil Jabba the Hutt) and all he does is kinda wacks his hand against the guys head - and it flies right off. Dancing
I think afterward the monster just licks the blood off his hand and goes about his business.

Now, I could be totally remembering it wrong, as I was younger and this was about, oh, 25 years ago. But does any of this ring a bell?
jsoto66
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:48:30 PM
SpidermanGeek wrote:

Movie that had a long lasting "scare" impact on me:
Candyman (to this day, I still can't say "Candyman" 5 times in the mirror)

I have to say the audio on this movie is superb. If you listen to his voice on a surround sound it's just amazingly awesome how Tony Todd's voice sort of engulfs you.
plex
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:41:29 AM
Personally, I like the old classics- the black and white ones from the golden age of horror, the 30's and 40's.

I loved the silent version of Nosferatu.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari was pretty wild.

Hammer Horror was awesome!

The Vincent Price movies were also awesome!

Modern day: Blair Witch project, Asian horror, Bram Stoker's Dracula.