Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Sequels: Could'a Would'a Shouldn't'a Made

Sequels: Could'a Would'a Shouldn't'a Made

2 pages: [1] 2
punisherfan1138
Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:11:29 AM
Groups: Member
Some movies would benefit greatly from remaining a one-off hit. Nothing ruins a franchise more than a terrible, canon-raping sequel to a great, good, or at least watchable movie. The ones that stand out most prominently in my mind are movies like HIGHLANDER 2: THE QUICKENING, MORTAL KOMBAT: ANNIHILATION, and pretty much any of the Disney animated sequels, skipping of course the TOY STORY series. I'd also leave out TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, because it didn't ruin the franchise, it kept the crap train right on a'runnin'.

Feel like discussing these or others? Only one rule, it needs to be an actual sequel: not the next episode in an intended saga (just so this doesn't degenerate into prequel bashing). I'd personally leave a good many horror movie sequels out since they do exactly what they're meant to do: increase the body count.
Jim
Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:20:43 AM
The Matrix comes to mind. I enjoyed the first one. The other two were a WTF?!? moment.

Batman Returns, Forever, &Robin all sucked. Nothing more can be said about that.

I could have actually done without Two Towers and Return of the King...
ShenValleyInitiative
Saturday, June 12, 2010 2:31:30 PM
Any sequels to Aliens or Predator and especially AVP.

Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween....I could go on and on. But its mostly horror/sci movies most the time.
punisherfan1138
Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:52:07 PM
ErrantEntertainment wrote:
The Matrix comes to mind. I enjoyed the first one. The other two were a WTF?!? moment.

Although I did enjoy the second two, the first one would've made a kickass one-off.

Batman Returns, Forever, &Robin all sucked. Nothing more can be said about that.

How'd I forget those!?D'oh

ShenValleyInitiative wrote:
Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween....I could go on and on. But its mostly horror/sci movies most the time.

The Friday the 13th's slowly got worse until you get to 5 which was a crapfest, then broke the through the bottom of the barrel with Jason X. The only Halloween's worth watching are 1, 2 and maybe H20. Regard the series as a trilogy and forget the rest.
ukblueky
Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:12:45 PM
The second Blair Witch Project was absolute garbage.I really liked the first one.
The worst sequel of all time has to go to The Exorcist II
Other movies that had business making sequels and beyond are Texas Chainsaw Massacre,The Ring
CuriousGoodsNComics
Saturday, June 12, 2010 10:33:25 PM
im writing a script for big trouble in little china pt 2 "bigger trouble in little china" if carpenter and stars dont pick it up ill get it into gn format at least
Jim
Saturday, June 12, 2010 10:43:52 PM
CuriousGoodsNComics wrote:
im writing a script for big trouble in little china pt 2 "bigger trouble in little china" if carpenter and stars dont pick it up ill get it into gn format at least

I'd buy it. I love that movie and always wanted to see a sequel, especially with the way it ended.
The_Ghost
Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:26:56 PM
Groups: Guru, Media Host, Member
MATRIX sequels were total crap.

BATMAN RETURNS had good moments but the Penguin ruined it. A sequel should've been made but not include Cobblepot.

GHOST RIDER II SHOULD be made without the corney parts the first one had.

DAREDEVIL II should be made as well but without Affleck!

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
BurningDoom
Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:28:15 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
I disagree with a few of these:

-I love all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, well except #5. #5 (The Dream Child) was pretty bad. Unlike most people, I enjoy the macabre, cheezy humor Freddy uses in the sequels. I am in full agreement that the first film was the best in the whole series, though.

-Highlander II: The Quickening. I like that one more than the first one. Now I haven't seen it since I was like 11, though. But it was much more sci-fi than the other Highlander movies, and that made me a lot more interested in it.

-The Matrix. I thought they were all great sci-fi movies. Although, at the same time I feel that everyone made way too big of a deal out of it. It wasn't the end all sci-fi movie that a lot of people my age make it out to be, not at all. It doesn't even belong on the top 10. But nonetheless, I still enjoyed all 3 of them. I especially loved the battle between the humans and the machines in the city!

The sequels I thought were complete crap:

-Batman Forever and Batman & Robin
-Beastmaster 3
-Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
-Spider-Man 3
-Superman III & IV
-Terminator 3
-X-Men 3

Wow, I'm seeing a pattern here. 3 is a bad number.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
MER
Monday, June 14, 2010 1:04:45 AM

Actually I was happy that they stretched the movie to a trilogy. The LOTR movie would've been worse if it was all lumped together in one film.

"(shouting)I'm not a window cleaner!"
-Roy (The IT Crowd)

Q: Who's the best opponent to fight in the X-Men's Danger Room?
A: Unicorns and Butterflies

Ode to get Tommy out of lurking-
"Punisher is not good. No response? I guess everyone agrees"
punisherfan1138
Monday, June 14, 2010 8:41:37 PM
MER wrote:

Actually I was happy that they stretched the movie to a trilogy. The LOTR movie would've been worse if it was all lumped together in one film.

Originally New Line Cinema wanted to make 2 4-hour movies, but Peter Jackson stood his ground until they caved and made a film for each of the three books.
ShenValleyInitiative
Monday, June 14, 2010 8:45:56 PM
CuriousGoodsNComics wrote:

Jack Burton > Chuck Norris

FACT

The first is one of my favorite movies ever.
ShenValleyInitiative
Monday, June 14, 2010 8:47:37 PM
MER wrote:

Agreed. I loved all 3 movies with the The Two Towers being the weakest of the 3....lets face it, the Ents, like the Ewoks.....suck.
gothamcentral79
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:24:36 PM
I love the second two Matrix movies just as much as the first. And I disagree about the Batman sequels since the original isn't good either.
Movies:
Animal Kingdom (Michod, 2010) B+
Devil (Dowdle, 2010) A-
Dogtooth (Lanthimos, 2009) A
The Secret of Kells (Moore & Twomey, 2009) B
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (Herzog, 2009) C-

Playing: Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition (360)
Neutron
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:48:31 PM
BurningDoom wrote:
-Highlander II: The Quickening. I like that one more than the first one. Now I haven't seen it since I was like 11, though. But it was much more sci-fi than the other Highlander movies, and that made me a lot more interested in it.

Yikes! How could you like that? It totally invalidated the entire first film!!!

Cool
A wise man once said "Every day I thank god I'm an atheist."
punisherfan1138
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:26:11 PM
Neutron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Cool

He said he didn't like the first one, and liked the Ridley Scott-rip off post apocalypse-punk look of the second. Nate needs to watch it again (said he hasn't seen it since he was 11) and should evaluate it again solely on it's merits.
Jim
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:57:13 PM
punisherfan1138 wrote:
Neutron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Cool

He said he didn't like the first one, and liked the Ridley Scott-rip off post apocalypse-punk look of the second. Nate needs to watch it again (said he hasn't seen it since he was 11) and should evaluate it again solely on it's merits.

Unfortunately none of those movies can stand the test of time.

Now Jaws on the otherhand, I can watch no matter when it's on.

The Jaws sequels all sucked though.
kidlippy
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:54:28 PM
I don't know if LOTR should be considered sequels or not. They were intended to be one story about the rings that just happened to be 3 books (and movies). Otherwise it would be like a 10 or 11 hour movie. For me, I like to think sequels are movies that were not originally planned but happened.

Movies I wish never seen a sequels...
Spiderman 3 (totally ruined Spiderman 1 & 2)
Batman Forever and Batman & Robin
Terminator 3 (nothing compared to Terminator and T2)
K-911 (I liked the first one when I was a kid, but the second one was crap)
Superman 3 & 4 (I still don't really understand the 3rd-not that I tried to)
Teen Wolf Too
Dumb and Dumberer
The Next Karate Kid
Jim
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:55:35 PM
kidlippy wrote:
I don't know if LOTR should be considered sequels or not. They were intended to be one story about the rings that just happened to be 3 books (and movies). Otherwise it would be like a 10 or 11 hour movie. For me, I like to think sequels are movies that were not originally planned but happened.

Movies I wish never seen a sequels...
Spiderman 3 (totally ruined Spiderman 1 & 2)
Batman Forever and Batman & Robin
Terminator 3 (nothing compared to Terminator and T2)
K-911 (I liked the first one when I was a kid, but the second one was crap)
Superman 3 & 4 (I still don't really understand the 3rd-not that I tried to)
Teen Wolf Too
Dumb and Dumberer
The Next Karate Kid

Actually, you're right. The other two movies felt like the same movie that just went on way too long. They became repetitive, IMO. I loved the first one but 3 hours is all I can really take.
BurningDoom
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:13:42 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
punisherfan1138 wrote:
Neutron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Cool

I never said I didn't like the first one. I just said I liked the second one better.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here