Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Ask the Experts » Ask the experts forum
mydarksyd
Friday, January 26, 2007 11:42:59 PM
Groups: Member
Wall hey guys/girls we really need an ask the expert board to help locate those comics we collected as kids but cannot remember the publisher or titles. i had a huge collection of horror comics and my ultrareligious parents made me throw them away. i vaguely remember the storylines and some covers but for the life of me cannot remember titles and i cant locate them anywhere without those titles. i would love to get back those comics i loved as a young kid and i hope others have the same need for this forum.
mydarksyd
Friday, January 26, 2007 11:50:15 PM
Think let me kick it off with a plea for anyone who is a "guru" in the horror comic genre.
the first comic i would love to get back in my collection is a collection of horror tales with one main story about a man who has a magic picture or mirror and finds out he can pass thru the looking glass to another place as long as a candle is aflame. he steals art and trinkets from this alternate reality/future .i think his aged mother blows out the candle while he is in the mirror and he is trapped in the alternate reality/future.

i have many more and would love to be able to track down these comics. i will set this request out and more if the experts are available.
epcomics
Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:09:00 AM
Do you remember the year? That would help a lot.
www.jordanhackett.org

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comixdad
Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:38:33 PM
sounds like a Charlton "Ghostly Tales" type story, but it could also be a DC 'House' anthology story as well. I'm not a big horror fan, but that's where I'd start looking
whitejay251
Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:55:54 PM
Groups: Beta, Member
Wonderful idea. While I can't help on your request, I have one of my own. While on vacation with my family in the mid-1980s, I picked out an issue from a quarter bin that had a sci-fi story about the Earth being taken over by giant praying mantises (that may or may not have been aliens, I don't recall). I suspect it is from a bronze age anthology book, but I also have a suspicion it was a reprint of an old EC story.
shark
Monday, January 29, 2007 12:57:51 AM
try grimm ghost stories from golden key
if all else fails try brute force
danwes1
Monday, January 29, 2007 1:33:48 AM
hey mydarksydon: on the spur of the moment i found 3 that may lead somewhere for you - a Charlton "Beyond the Grave", #5, Apr '76,- a DC "Ghosts", #47, Vol 6, May-June '76 - and a Charlton "Ghostly Haunts" #25, JUN '72

Plus don't forget the "Strange Tales" series, or some of the "ghostly war" stories from DC, like "G.I. Combat" #107, with "The Haunted Tank".

And like the "shark" bites, don't forget grimm

Don't Tell Anyone
One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure!
damenboy322000
Monday, January 29, 2007 12:23:40 PM
I got an ace edition hulk 181 dynamic forces signed by herb tripe with a certificate of authenticity in perf cond. anyone have any info on this?
Nightsidedem
Monday, January 29, 2007 12:49:06 PM
This may help you out a little as far as price goes.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?comicTableID=138935
Nightsidedemon
Only the dead have seen the end of war.- Plato
Dementia5
Friday, February 09, 2007 11:55:38 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
Good idea for a thread.

Could use some help on this. Circa 1975 I had a giant size or annual House of Mystery with Caine and Abel. We'll call it oversized, since my problem is not knowing the format of the book (although it was not a humongous Treasury sized book). It was a solid collection of stories, but theone that rather sticks out in my mind is it had a vampire story. I don't blieve it was Dracula. He wa narrating the tale, and in the middle he was killed, and at the time I couldn't prevent myself from wondering how he could still chat with the reader.

It was square bound. Realy could use the number, since it's a rather uncommon book.

Sorry, the best I could do.
"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

danyalynn
Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:32:42 PM
I am new to this site but I have a question about a comic I found in with my husbands comics most likley from a yard sale. It is a vol 7 #5 sept - oct 1948 4 MOST comic & the cost on it is .10. It is not in good condition but in poor to fair. The pages are old & yellow it stating to fall apart on the edges & the front cover has a hole on the side & folds on the pages.It has 52 pages. It says Curtis Distributed. It also has an H that was writen on the front cover. I was wondering how much it would be worth. I can send a photo if need just need a e-mail address to send it to. Thank You DanyaLynn Rickman
epcomics
Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:42:50 PM
danyalynn wrote:
I am new to this site but I have a question about a comic I found in with my husbands comics most likley from a yard sale. It is a vol 7 #5 sept - oct 1948 4 MOST comic & the cost on it is .10. It is not in good condition but in poor to fair. The pages are old & yellow it stating to fall apart on the edges & the front cover has a hole on the side & folds on the pages.It has 52 pages. It says Curtis Distributed. It also has an H that was writen on the front cover. I was wondering how much it would be worth. I can send a photo if need just need a e-mail address to send it to. Thank You DanyaLynn Rickman

I know exactly what comic you are talking about. In the condition that you stated you might be able to get $1 for it.
www.jordanhackett.org

warlok
Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:22:50 PM
mydarksyd wrote:
Think let me kick it off with a plea for anyone who is a "guru" in the horror comic genre.
the first comic i would love to get back in my collection is a collection of horror tales with one main story about a man who has a magic picture or mirror and finds out he can pass thru the looking glass to another place as long as a candle is aflame. he steals art and trinkets from this alternate reality/future .i think his aged mother blows out the candle while he is in the mirror and he is trapped in the alternate reality/future.

i have many more and would love to be able to track down these comics. i will set this request out and more if the experts are available.

The issue you are referring to is double sized issue of Unexpected by DC comics
kamai
Monday, June 04, 2007 11:51:57 PM
I'm also new to this site. I have a ton of comics from when I was a kid, and was looking for a way to organize them, and comic collector live is pretty sweet. Just have one question though, I was entering in what I have, and I can't seem to find this one comic. It's DHP 100, #0 of 5...It's got a cheesy robot shooting lazers w/ his eyes, Hellboy's jumping on the right, (alas, I was never into DHP...can't remember where I even got this one, so I don't recognize anyone else on the cover). In the database, they have variant covers listed for 100...but mine's not one of them. Any help? Thanks in advance.
CosmicAvenger
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:31:39 PM
Groups: Beta, Characters Host, DC Host, Member
Let em know here at CCL and they may have to add it into the database. Check the bottom of the forum and you will see all the info about entering stuff thats not on the database.

Porpoise49
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:12:51 AM
I wonder if an expert can help me define the difference of a Artist vs. Writer? It sounds obvious, but I guess I am having a little trouble deciphering these differences: Script (I automatically assume writer), Pencils (?), Inks (?), Letters (?), Colors (?). The reason I have had problems is because I will find a name of a Pencil listed as a Writer and as a Artist. So I would like to know the exact guidelines so that when I submit a change request I am giving the correct information. So I am not adding more work for the already hard and much appreciated reviewers. Thanks.
I'm your Huckleberry. Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.

Brodie
Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:54:00 PM
Porpoise49 wrote:
I wonder if an expert can help me define the difference of a Artist vs. Writer? It sounds obvious, but I guess I am having a little trouble deciphering these differences: Script (I automatically assume writer), Pencils (?), Inks (?), Letters (?), Colors (?). The reason I have had problems is because I will find a name of a Pencil listed as a Writer and as a Artist. So I would like to know the exact guidelines so that when I submit a change request I am giving the correct information. So I am not adding more work for the already hard and much appreciated reviewers. Thanks.

It could possibly be that the same guy did both the script (Writer) and the pencils (Artist) and even the inks (Artist).
We're all pawns, you know...
The_Valiant_One
Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:44:19 AM
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Brodie wrote:
Porpoise49 wrote:

It could possibly be that the same guy did both the script (Writer) and the pencils (Artist) and even the inks (Artist).

Dan Jurgens (Superman, Booster Gold) is a common example of a writer/artist who does lots of work (if not exclusively) for DC Comics. Superman #75 (Death of Superman) was written and drawn by him. John Byrne (Man of Steel), Walt Simonson (Thor) and Bob Hall (Shadowman) are more examples of this. For comic publishers it's a win-win. Hope that helps.

Great topic, BTW.

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747 ext 103
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com

Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
DawgTaggs
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:18:36 PM
Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I'm new and may be on the wrong thread, but heres my question!

I have Xin: Legend of the Monkey King - Anarchy #1 - Alternate Red Foil cover - Certificate of Authenticity, Since its sealed and never been open this is the only information I have on this comic - The problem is I can't find it in the database. The same goes for Micronauts - Image #1 - Alternate Gold Foil cover - Certificate of Authenticity.

Oh you about drove me crazy with Marvel Comics Present Vol 1- issue #96 it took me forever to figure out that it has a double cover (the database cover didn't match the cover I was looking at!). I must have searched the database a dozen times before I realized the issue had two stories and a different cover on the back (the one I has looking at!). I guess thats what happens when you don't open the package to see if there a second story!Wall

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

alten2345
Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:40:14 AM
Porpoise49 wrote:

In most cases when you see script or storytellers and see two names it is usually a combination of the writer and penciler working in close collaboration on an issue. In these instances the penciler is more involved in the scripting of a story than the usual writer writes the story and sends it to the penciler to draw. A perfect example of this is the current Brave and the Bold series that gives storytelling credit to Mark Waid and George Perez rather than having them separate as writer and penciler. In this case I would add Mark Waid and George Perez in the writer field and George Perez in the artist field as well.