Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Actor Chosen for Superman in "Man of Steel" Movie

Actor Chosen for Superman in "Man of Steel" Movie

3 pages: [1] 2 3
BurningDoom
Friday, January 28, 2011 9:22:23 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/01/28/true-blood-actor-to-play-the-man-of-steel/

Quote:
True Blood actor to play the Man of Steel?

Joe Manganiello, currently of True Blood fame, is said to be one of the frontrunners to play Superman in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel film.

Rumors earlier in the week by the L.A. Times placed Manganiello in the role due to talk at the Academy Bake Off last week. Then, over the weekend, it seemed the actor himself confirmed the possibility of him taking on the famous role in an interview with Extra at the Producers Guild Awards red carpet.

When asked by the interviewer if he indeed was going to be playing Superman, Manganiello said, “Well, you know, that’s really not up to me at this point….It’s out there in the ether so we’ll see.” Although he did not answer with a direct yes, not many actors up for a role do, especially one as important as this. But it seems he’s not past sucking up to better his chances, “I would be honored. I love Zack Snyder, I love Christopher Nolan, I’m huge fans of both of them. So I’d be honored to if they choose to do that.”

Manganiellos is currently busy filming Season 4 of True Blood right now. He told Extra, “Witches show up and cause some trouble in Bon Temps.”

Manganiello is already familiar with the comic book movie realm, you may remember he played Flash Thompson in the Spider-Man films. But does he have what it takes to fill some of the biggest boots on the block? He certainly has the body for it but he doesn’t scream Superman to me. Perhaps Snyder is looking for someone completely different than who we’ve seen as the Man of Steel in the past. What do you think?
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
fenix1977
Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:15:12 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
No. I no like him. Give the last guy another shot. You can't blame him for the crappy script he was given.
ShenValleyInitiative
Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:37:51 AM
Groups: Member
fenix1977 wrote:
No. I no like him. Give the last guy another shot. You can't blame him for the crappy script he was given.

+1.....other than the airplane scene, that was the most boring piece of superhero crap to ever grace the big screen.
Shadowdodger
Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:03:20 AM
I think it depends on which way Snyder wants to go with the film. If he wants to go 80's/Christopher Reeves/innocent Superman, then yeah, Brandon Routh all the way. He embodied that perfectly.

Knowing Snyder, he may want to go for a more edgy/in-your-face/this-ain't-your-daddy's Superman. In which case, I think this guy might be a better choice.
Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
infinitespeech
Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:27:32 AM
ShenValleyInitiative wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

+1.....other than the airplane scene, that was the most boring piece of superhero crap to ever grace the big screen.

Applause
dunleavy75
Saturday, January 29, 2011 1:55:49 PM
infinitespeech wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

Applause

+2 This dude looks like they'll have to pry him away from a mirror to shoot his scenes...and that's if he can remember his lines.Laughing

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Xylob
Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:00:54 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
indeed...
plus, he just doesn't look like Superman
I did a google image search on his name since the pic posted here looks more like an ad for Jersey Shore but even in all the pics on the web this guy just doesn't have the Supes look to him.
his gigantic (obviously broken) nose doesn't help either.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
scaryhead
Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:44:24 PM
I just googled more pics of the guy. I can see it working.

The problem with Brandon Routh, IMO, is that they were trying to cast Christopher Reeve. Not Superman.
All the comic book video game updates, discussions and roasts a nerd like you could ask for! The Comics Console on ComicAttack.net

@andrewEhurst on Twitter!

Shadowdodger
Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:54:15 PM
I only know this guy from True Blood. I don't know if he's been in anything else. He does a pretty good job in TB. As far as his look goes, give him a clean shave and a haircut and who knows, maybe he could pull it off.

BurningDoom
Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:07:04 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
Shadowdodger wrote:
I only know this guy from True Blood. I don't know if he's been in anything else. He does a pretty good job in TB. As far as his look goes, give him a clean shave and a haircut and who knows, maybe he could pull it off.

I was thinking the same thing. All he needs is a shave and a haircut and he at least looks the part. I've never seen his acting skills, though.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SpidermanGeek
Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:33:48 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
Lol... you mean you guys don't remember that Joe played Flash Thomspon in the Spider-Man films?

I watch One Tree Hill and Joe played on a season as a recovering Alcoholic (who just happens to be "The Town Bartender".. How "Cheers" of them, lol). Anywho, he's got decent acting skills. Depending on the tone of Zack Snyder's version, I could see Joe fitting the bill. He definitely has the size right (He's 6'5").

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
ShenValleyInitiative
Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:38:44 PM
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Lol... you mean you guys don't remember that Joe played Flash Thomspon in the Spider-Man films?

I watch One Tree Hill and Joe played on a season as a recovering Alcoholic (who just happens to be "The Town Bartender".. How "Cheers" of them, lol). Anywho, he's got decent acting skills. Depending on the tone of Zack Snyder's version, I could see Joe fitting the bill. He definitely has the size right (He's 6'5").

Just when I didn't think it could get any worse than Chris Evans as Cap, THAT GUY as Supes proves me wrong. Sick
scaryhead
Saturday, January 29, 2011 6:59:51 PM
SpidermanGeek wrote:

Just when I didn't think it could get any worse than Chris Evans as Cap, THAT GUY as Supes proves me wrong. Sick

Oh come one. Actors are malleable. We can't judge them for their past roles, unless they're just terrible actors.

I mean, Micheal Keaton was Mr. Mom before he was Batman, and while he wasn't as good as Christian Bale, I think he did a good job.

I don't see any solid evidence for a Hate-Train on this guy as Superman. Just because the typical comic book fan may not like the show True Blood doesn't mean the actors on the show aren't worthy of certain movie roles.
All the comic book video game updates, discussions and roasts a nerd like you could ask for! The Comics Console on ComicAttack.net

@andrewEhurst on Twitter!

Shizz
Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:43:44 PM
Who cares who plays Sups? They're just gonna destroy him with the script anyways. I say skip this one and put more money into the Bat-franchise.
The_Ghost
Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:01:40 PM
Groups: Guru, Media Host, Member
Let's hope Lex Luthor sits this one out.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
ShenValleyInitiative
Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:48:43 PM
Yeah, it needs to be a new villain for sure.

Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac, Bizarro, anyone but Luthor.
Shadowdodger
Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:48:19 AM
Yeah, it needs to be a new villain for sure.

Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac, Bizarro, anyone but Luthor.

Agreed.

KingZombie
Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:33:41 PM
Warner Bros just announced it's Henry Cavill.

4saken1
Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:28:37 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
KingZombie wrote:

Link, please.
ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Domestic orders of 25 or more comics qualify for FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Priority Mail orders of 25 or more comics receive a $5 refund (Foreign or Domestic orders).
ShenValleyInitiative
Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:30:49 PM
KingZombie wrote:

Applause

Looks WAY more like Supes than that other guy.