Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Michael Bay is Re-Imagining the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Michael Bay is Re-Imagining the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

3 pages: [1] 2 3
BurningDoom
Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:31:49 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37648

Quote:
Michael Bay is Re-Imagining the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

While it's not news that the Hollywood heavyweight's Platinum Dunes production company is tackling Paramount Pictures' "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" film reboot for a December 2013 release, specific details -- outside of "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" screenwriters Josh Applebaum and Andrew Nemec writing the project -- have been slim. According to StuffWeLike.com, at this past week's Nickelodeon Upfront Michael Bay revealed the basic premise of the live-action film, which will likely ruffle the feathers of the Turtles' fanbase.

"Kids are going to believe, one day, that these turtles do exist, when we are done with this movie," said Bay. "These Turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable."

As those who grew up with the TMNT in their various incarnations know, "tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable" isn't far from the mark, but transforming the origin of Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo and Donatello from "pet store amphibians dipped in radioactive goo" to "members of an alien race" is not only likely to upset longtime Turtles fans, but also seems to leave the appropriateness of the descriptive "Mutant" somewhat up in the air.

Check out the video clip from Bay's presentation below

Click link at top of page for video.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
KingZombie
Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:56:01 PM
Groups: Member
Bay has no respect for fans of the movie properties he takes over. He just does whatever he thinks would be cool. Like flames on Optimus Prime.
Jim
Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:22:36 PM
Why does the top of the sewer lid look like the Mayan calendar?
BurningDoom
Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:32:59 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
ErrantEntertainment wrote:

I'm sure that has to do with the alien origin. The bottom half of the lid looks normal.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
KingZombie
Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:50:56 PM
BurningDoom wrote:

I'm sure that has to do with the alien origin. The bottom half of the lid looks normal.

I'm pretty sure that's the logo from the CG animated movie that came out 5 or 6 years ago.
Shadowdodger
Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:04:10 PM
Aliens? Really, Bay? Wall
Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
Atilla2k
Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:27:00 PM
~BLEEP!~ That!!!

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Thundercron
Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:56:28 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
KingZombie wrote:
Bay has no respect for fans of the movie properties he takes over. He just does whatever he thinks would be cool. Like flames on Optimus Prime.

No. He does what he thinks the average moviegoer would think is cool. You say Michael Bay has no respect for fans. To some extent, you're right. But that's okay with me, because when Sam Raimi said he was making Spider-Man "as a fan," he was lying. Which is fine with me, because when Bryan Singer said he was making X-Men for the fans, he was lying too. Currently, Christopher Nolan will be lying when he says he's making Batman "for the fans." My point is that none of these filmmakers made these movies strictly with the fans in mind. These movies--and they were all (mostly) enjoyable, by the way--were all made with the General Moviegoing Audience in mind. These films cannot be profitable if they are strictly aimed at the die-hard fans. And the average moviegoer thinks that lava, flames, and fire is cool. Also, when someone tricks out their car and puts a fancy paintjob on it, chances are they will put flames on it. We've all seen it more times than we can count. So that's why there are flames on Optimus Prime.

How does this relate to the new proposed origin of the Ninja Turtles? Well, put yourself in the position of the Average Moviegoer. You decide to go see this new Ninja Turtles movie Bay has put out because you saw the preview and it seems to have a lot of action and 'splosions in it. The only thing you know about the Ninja Turtles is a vague memory of an annoying cartoon and movie property from the '90s. But you decide to see it based on the strength of the trailer. Now, keeping in mind that you are the Average Moviegoer, which origin story (however it may be presented) do you think would elicit the least amount of laughter from you at the theater? Would it be a) the Ninja Turtles were actual turtles that were dipped into radioactive goo, causing them to mutate into humanoid creatures capable of witty banter, or b) that they were derived from an alien race in some way. Honestly, I'd go with option B. Most moviegoers are used to the whole idea of aliens from outer space, so they're used to it, and it would be easier for them to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy the movie.
KingZombie
Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:24:16 PM
Thundercron wrote:
KingZombie wrote:

No. He does what he thinks the average moviegoer would think is cool. You say Michael Bay has no respect for fans. To some extent, you're right. But that's okay with me, because when Sam Raimi said he was making Spider-Man "as a fan," he was lying. Which is fine with me, because when Bryan Singer said he was making X-Men for the fans, he was lying too. Currently, Christopher Nolan will be lying when he says he's making Batman "for the fans." My point is that none of these filmmakers made these movies strictly with the fans in mind. These movies--and they were all (mostly) enjoyable, by the way--were all made with the General Moviegoing Audience in mind. These films cannot be profitable if they are strictly aimed at the die-hard fans. And the average moviegoer thinks that lava, flames, and fire is cool. Also, when someone tricks out their car and puts a fancy paintjob on it, chances are they will put flames on it. We've all seen it more times than we can count. So that's why there are flames on Optimus Prime.

How does this relate to the new proposed origin of the Ninja Turtles? Well, put yourself in the position of the Average Moviegoer. You decide to go see this new Ninja Turtles movie Bay has put out because you saw the preview and it seems to have a lot of action and 'splosions in it. The only thing you know about the Ninja Turtles is a vague memory of an annoying cartoon and movie property from the '90s. But you decide to see it based on the strength of the trailer. Now, keeping in mind that you are the Average Moviegoer, which origin story (however it may be presented) do you think would elicit the least amount of laughter from you at the theater? Would it be a) the Ninja Turtles were actual turtles that were dipped into radioactive goo, causing them to mutate into humanoid creatures capable of witty banter, or b) that they were derived from an alien race in some way. Honestly, I'd go with option B. Most moviegoers are used to the whole idea of aliens from outer space, so they're used to it, and it would be easier for them to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy the movie.

If they only had the "average moviegoer" interests in mind, they would not pick something that has name recognition. They would just make something up that's similar, but be totally new and call it something else. But when they choose to make a new movie on established characters, they're expecting to draw in the people who know their story and want to go see the movie. I'm sure what you're saying is probably their mindset, but it's wrong and it's been proven time and again.

What they should do is get the die-hard fans to embrace it, because when they do, they create good buzz and they will draw others to go see it, and possibly even check out the previous incarnations. It's the whole reason Hollywood goes to SDCC now. Because great buzz from there helps your movie and bad buzz kills it (former ex. would be Iron Man, latter would be Green Hornet).
ShenValleyInitiative
Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:57:01 PM
Not a big TMNT fan, but thats stupid. Aliens are supposed to be more plausible than the original story? Why change it. FAIL...and pass.
roguesquad
Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:12:12 PM
Wall Wall
All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
Reggie
Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:21:30 PM
When did Micheal Bay even get attached to this project? Horrible idea.
Dreadnok01
Monday, March 19, 2012 1:05:41 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
So then ...TANT? Does not sound good to me.
KingZombie
Monday, March 19, 2012 9:00:51 AM
Dreadnok01 wrote:

LOL, yeah, actually the full title will be Teenage Alien Intelligence Ninja Turtles... or TAINT.
Dreadnok01
Monday, March 19, 2012 9:41:12 AM
KingZombie wrote:
Dreadnok01 wrote:

LOL, yeah, actually the full title will be Teenage Alien Intelligence Ninja Turtles... or TAINT.

Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor Rolling on the Floor
vinceclortho
Monday, March 19, 2012 10:43:08 AM
KingZombie wrote:
Dreadnok01 wrote:

This is horrible... lol. Reminds me of Jay and Silent Bob as the Commanders of the "Coalition for the Liberation of Itinerant Tree-Dwellers"

Wall

Check out my Sporcle quiz! X-Men Past and Present

fenix1977
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:24:20 AM
Horrible. Just horrible.
wpmcclure
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:42:21 AM

Because unlike what the experts say (the Mayans) about the world ending on December 21st 2012, it really ends on premiere night 2013 thanks to Bayfinger. Crying
mrhaddock
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:37:36 AM
Why cant he just leave stuff alone :(
wickedcomics
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:55:15 AM
michael bay is a crappy moron.... the last good movies he did was the bad boys franchise... he thinks the basis of a good movie is a lot of explosion... pointless action... and no script development... he gets 1/5 stars from me... he gets at least 1 star as oppose to 0 for giving us bad boys 1 and 2... but with his recent garbage loses 3 stars only getting 1/5 Cool