Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Tamwood's "Sanctuary" CR
Tamwood
Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:08:59 PM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
So, I have this CR in the queue, and other than Padre, nobody's bothered to chime in on it.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/Change/ListItem_Edit.aspx?id=175c9cf6-63aa-4369-8a82-31805eca5dba&class=1

I added it, because it's a "character" with a speaking role. Padre disagreed, because he felt that it was more like the Fortress of Solitude, or the JLA Watchtower ... a location, rather than a character. And, I believe he's partially correct. Supergirl's Sanctuary is her own F.o.S, but it also appears to have a speaking role.

The Sanctuary had a discussion with Kara in Supergirl #13. They conversed. Rather like Jarvis from the Iron Man/Avengers movies, where Tony talks to the A.I., and it responds. If Iron Man's suit had a name and conversed with Tony in the comics, I'd want to add that as a character, too.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? My vote, obviously, is that it should be included, because the Sanctuary is as much a character as Supergirl herself.
scotteaves
Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:37:20 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
Do you know of any other AI type characters similar to your submission in the database?
icarus201
Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:48:56 AM
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host
scotteaves wrote:
Do you know of any other AI type characters similar to your submission in the database?

I.S.A.A.C. springs to mind. The world-spanning computer system that maintains the world inside Titan's moon. "He" has appeared in holographic humanoid form numerous times, hence his inclusion as a character.
Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Spider-Man
Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:23:32 AM
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber
Weren't there some city type characters added by LadyJay recently like this? I can't think of them right now, but it wasn't too long ago.
Spider-Man
Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:25:48 AM
Found them..the city Avatars in Stormwatch #3.

This could be the same type of character.
comicscastle
Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:24:13 AM
Groups: Member
My opinion is...if it communicates in a tangible way then it is a character in the story and should be added.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

Tamwood
Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:10:34 PM
Scott -- Personally, no, I don't know of other instances, but it looks like a couple other people found something similar.

Pat -- Exactly! AND, the Sanctuary AI actually helped SG defeat her bad guy.
scotteaves
Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:04:28 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
Thanks guys - I just wanted to make sure that we've already accepted characters similar to this before OR that we've already had a discussion like this and chose to not accept them for some reason.

As long as "it" speaks, I'm good with the addition. We've got some characters that are probably way less important to a storyline than this one.
Tamwood
Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:25:21 PM
scotteaves wrote:
Thanks guys - I just wanted to make sure that we've already accepted characters similar to this before OR that we've already had a discussion like this and chose to not accept them for some reason.

As long as "it" speaks, I'm good with the addition. We've got some characters that are probably way less important to a storyline than this one.

LOL. Like the dozens of character that make one appearance, are "named" and thus "valid" and then die or are never used again, because they were throw-away characters needed to advance one piece of a story? :)
LadyJay
Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:41:07 PM
Groups: Member, Super Hero Showdown Host
Spider-Man wrote:
Weren't there some city type characters added by LadyJay recently like this? I can't think of them right now, but it wasn't too long ago.

Ummm....I wasn't the one who added them.
I choose to speak with my pocket-book
scotteaves
Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:22:41 PM
Tamwood wrote:
scotteaves wrote:

LOL. Like the dozens of character that make one appearance, are "named" and thus "valid" and then die or are never used again, because they were throw-away characters needed to advance one piece of a story? :)

Big Grin

Yeah, I knew you'd like that.
padreglcc
Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:42:21 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
LadyJay wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

I was the one who argued for their inclusion in the DB. I did so because their avatars became personified and could be seen interacting with Jack Hawksmoor in bodily form. If that had not happened, I never would have argued for it. I feel the same way about Sanctuary. If the AI had a body, a hologram, or a face on a screen, I'd be okay with it. Since it doesn't yet, I'm not.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Problems with the CCL Software or Website? Contact the CCL Helpdesk:
Email: helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
Phone: 615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

Make sure you understand the Forum Rules
Spider-Man
Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:52:48 AM
LadyJay wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

Sorry Jane, for some reason I connected you to that. Sorry for the confusion.
Tamwood
Saturday, November 03, 2012 12:38:01 AM
Just wanted to know if we could get some more opinions, or get a consensous among approvers (those that aren't dealing the Hurricane-related personal issues).

For those of you who may not have read Supergirl #13, here's a scan of one of the panels, where Kara is talking to Sanctuary, and Sanctuary is responding.

comicscastle
Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:10:25 AM
Groups: Member
Tamwood wrote:
Just wanted to know if we could get some more opinions, or get a consensous among approvers (those that aren't dealing the Hurricane-related personal issues).

For those of you who may not have read Supergirl #13, here's a scan of one of the panels, where Kara is talking to Sanctuary, and Sanctuary is responding.

Add him/it.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

padreglcc
Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:26:56 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
The consensus at this point seems to be for adding as a character. I will concede the point and if it hasn't been done already, approve the CR.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Problems with the CCL Software or Website? Contact the CCL Helpdesk:
Email: helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
Phone: 615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

Make sure you understand the Forum Rules