Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL News » CCL FAQ/Q&A » How many brick and mortar comic shops are in the USA? (POLL!)

Poll Question: How many physical comic shops in the USA?

• 1000-1500
    12%
    3 vote(s)
  • 1500-1800
    8%
    2 vote(s)
  • 1800-2000
    28%
    7 vote(s)
  • 2000-2500
    8%
    2 vote(s)
  • 2500-3000
    4%
    1 vote(s)
  • 3000 or more
    40%
    10 vote(s)

How many brick and mortar comic shops are in the USA? (POLL!)

2 pages: [1] 2
The_Valiant_One
Friday, July 19, 2013 9:06:13 AM
Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Continuing this discussion from another thread.

According to DIAMOND COMICS, the USA's largest (and pretty much only) comic book distributor has around 3000 accounts around the country. But is this an accurate number?

It's a difficult number to truly pin down. How many physical comic hook stores truly exist in the USA?

Please feel free to vote in the poll, and add any links to back up your vote and/or your opinion and invite those to share in the discussion!

Thanks!

Applause Applause Applause

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747 ext 103
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com

Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
BruceReville
Friday, July 19, 2013 9:19:42 AM
Groups: Member
Now is this just strictly comics (to include gaming and other comic related material) or can it include used book stores that also carry comics? Just want to clarify.
Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

spacecitycomics
Friday, July 19, 2013 9:21:18 AM
Do not believe even Diamond would be objectionable to
keeping an account open after a B&M store is closed as
long as you never have a hiccup with your bill.
As tight as the market is on the distributor/dealer
end, dismissing business possibilites for any reason
is goofy.
Xylob
Friday, July 19, 2013 9:28:50 AM
Groups: Approver, Member
The_Valiant_One wrote:
...3000 may be the number of accounts Diamond has, but I think that number is inflated to include accounts out of the country, shops no longer in business that still hold accounts in good standing, flea market/convention sellers as well as online dealers...
What about places like Hastings and Barnes & Noble? Are they getting their books from Diamond or another distributor? I've asked at the local locations but the staff don't know... I do not consider either to be a "comic shop".
Where does Toys R Us get theirs? My local store has a fairly good sized funny book section, but they're almost a month behind on "new" stuff.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
Khaine
Friday, July 19, 2013 9:36:37 AM
Im certain diamonds accounts include internet shops and flea market stores also.

Where I live I can drive 45-60 minutes in any direction and hit a brick and mortar comic book speciality shop that offer new issues.

There are quite a few permanent comic/collectable shops (mostly in antique shops or flea markets) in that same radius that have huge back issue stock but, do not have diamond accounts.

The_Valiant_One
Friday, July 19, 2013 10:24:43 AM
Shop at My Store
BruceReville wrote:
Now is this just strictly comics (to include gaming and other comic related material) or can it include used book stores that also carry comics? Just want to clarify.

For the purpose of this poll, we consider a brick and mortar comic shop to be any physical comic book store which orders new comic books, games or any other product on a regular basis from Diamond Comics Distributors.

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

Check out my official CCL YouTube show:SUPER MEGA COMIC ACTION NEWS AT MIDNIGHT!
The_Valiant_One
Friday, July 19, 2013 10:26:27 AM
Shop at My Store
Xylob wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
...3000 may be the number of accounts Diamond has, but I think that number is inflated to include accounts out of the country, shops no longer in business that still hold accounts in good standing, flea market/convention sellers as well as online dealers...
What about places like Hastings and Barnes & Noble? Are they getting their books from Diamond or another distributor? I've asked at the local locations but the staff don't know... I do not consider either to be a "comic shop".
Where does Toys R Us get theirs? My local store has a fairly good sized funny book section, but they're almost a month behind on "new" stuff.

Both good questions and ones I honestly don't know the answers to. I'm almost positive that HASTINGS has a DIAMOND account because they carry the PREVIEW magazine for customers to order from...however, TRU and B&N are a different story.

Steve Boyd
VP/CCL

Khaine
Friday, July 19, 2013 10:44:47 AM
the only two barnes and nobles ive been in didn't have comic books, just graphic novels which would lead me to believe they don't have a diamond account. atleast the two ive been in

when waldenbooks was around in my area they had a spin rack with comics but they all closed down.
freakdylan
Friday, July 19, 2013 10:55:44 AM
I vote on 1984 jelly beans in the jar. Big Grin

Xylob
Friday, July 19, 2013 11:43:53 AM
Groups: Approver, Member
The_Valiant_One wrote:
Xylob wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:

Both good questions and ones I honestly don't know the answers to. I'm almost positive that HASTINGS has a DIAMOND account because they carry the PREVIEW magazine for customers to order from...however, TRU and B&N are a different story.
Yeah, the Hastings (actually a TradeSmart, but same thing) here even has a subscription service for customers.

Two of the B&N in the area have rather large funny book sections, most of the others have only a few titles or none at all.
I'm wondering if B&N and TRU don't get theirs from regional magazine distributors like Harrisburg News, Newport, etc.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
MoonKnight1
Friday, July 19, 2013 11:52:29 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I know that within a 20 mile radius of my house there are at least 6 Brick and Mortars:

Velocity Comics - My personal favorite. Patrick is totally awesome.

Stories - 3 locations, great selection. Nice people.

Dave's Comics - Dave is basically Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Nostalgia Plus - Don't bother.

Expand that radius to 60 miles and you can add a dozen more from Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Staunton, Roanoke, Newport News, Norfolk, Warrenton, etc.

So I'm thinking that the state of Virginia alone probably has 20-25 shops, possibly more?

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
scotteaves
Friday, July 19, 2013 7:39:24 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
Xylob wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:
Xylob wrote:
The_Valiant_One wrote:

Yeah, the Hastings (actually a TradeSmart, but same thing) here even has a subscription service for customers.

I'd bet that Hastings (or anyone) who orders their own variant covers has a Diamond account. So, I'd say yes to Hastings but probably no to TRU & B&N. Even though the B&N's and TRU's around me have comics.

I choose 1800-2000 because even if there are 3000 accounts, I'd bet there are a bunch of inactive accounts and non B&M retailers out there. Heck, ComicsCastle is a non-B&M here on CCL. How many other CCL stores are online only? And that doesn't even begin to count the other internet only stores.
scotteaves
Friday, July 19, 2013 7:40:49 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I know that within a 20 mile radius of my house there are at least 6 Brick and Mortars:

Expand that radius to 60 miles and you can add a dozen more from Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Staunton, Roanoke, Newport News, Norfolk, Warrenton, etc.

So I'm thinking that the state of Virginia alone probably has 20-25 shops, possibly more?

Wish I could say the same about NJ. It seems like at least half (possibly 75%) of the stores in Northern NJ have closed in the last 5-7 years.
Khaine
Friday, July 19, 2013 8:33:06 PM
You got the stash Winking
Thundercron
Friday, July 19, 2013 8:59:26 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Barnes and Nobles offer newsstand editions, so they don't have a Diamond account.

If Toys R Us are a month behind, the same is true for them.
roguesquad
Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:26:22 PM
I bet there is at least 3000 in the entire country. However up here in Maine I can only think of 5 in the entire state. But.. this is Maine.
All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
43rdStreetComicBooks
Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:11:26 PM
Well theres around 15 comic book stores near me between pinellas, pasco and hernando counties here in florida
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

SwiftMann
Monday, June 15, 2020 11:34:15 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
Maybe a new poll... How many of the "210,218 Users" are bots?
MoonKnight1
Monday, June 15, 2020 1:08:46 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
SwiftMann wrote:
Maybe a new poll... How many of the "210,218 Users" are bots?

I would guess, "A lot" but at least we don't have to worry about that one anymore! Cool

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
bluedevil2002
Monday, June 15, 2020 3:19:15 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Let's see how things have changed in 7 years.

Stories closed two of their locations, including the best one. Dave's closed not long after he died. If Nostalgia Plus is the one in Willow Lawn, that got new owners and a new name.

One shop not on the list is Richmond Comix is on Midlothian Turnpike, almost at 288. That's my go-to shop for taking my kid to FCBD.