Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » DC Comics » John Romita, Jr. on Superman?
Thundercron
Friday, June 27, 2014 12:58:48 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Wait--what's going on here? John Junior has always been a self-proclaimed Marvel loyalist, just like his father before him. He's said in interviews many times he would never work for another company. His loyalty runs so deep that Marvel released a special comic a few years ago celebrating his 30th Anniversary with Marvel. Marvel has never done that for one of their creators--not Jack Kirby, not Steve Ditko, not Chris Claremont--not even Stan Lee himself!

So does anybody know the details of this? Has he left Marvel, or is it more like an open marriage?
padreglcc
Friday, June 27, 2014 1:28:54 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
How are you just hearing about this? It's been all over the place for months. Anyway, he is done at Marvel, at least for the time being. Here's a pretty good interview and article with the Washington Post.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Problems with the CCL Software or Website? Contact the CCL Helpdesk:
Email: helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
Phone: 615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

Make sure you understand the Forum Rules
Xylob
Friday, June 27, 2014 1:38:52 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
Frankly, I'm unimpressed with what I've seen so far... (I haven't had a chance to go through my new stuff this week yet) It's OK, but I don't see what the big deal is.
Can I do better? Well, I'm not a professional artist, so NO.
Why is this guy such a big deal? Is it all just a bunch of hype because he's supposed to be a Marvel guy?
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
BurningDoom
Friday, June 27, 2014 1:49:19 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
^ He used to be much better in his early career.

But I agree, his Superman stuff (like a lot of his stuff in the last decade) just looks sloppy. There's all these excessive lines everywhere that I'm guessing is his way of adding more detail, except it just looks like a mess.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
rook68
Saturday, June 28, 2014 12:38:34 AM
Groups: Member
BurningDoom wrote:

But I agree, his Superman stuff (like a lot of his stuff in the last decade) just looks sloppy. There's all these excessive lines everywhere that I'm guessing is his way of adding more detail, except it just looks like a mess.

Whole heartedly agree as well. Never saw the big deal about the move. Not a big fan of his art.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

padreglcc
Saturday, June 28, 2014 12:47:33 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
BurningDoom wrote:

Can I +1,000 this? Seeing he was joining this book almost made me drop it. Only that's kept me from doing so was Geoff Johns writing it. We'll see how it goes for a few issues.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” —Bryant H. McGill

Problems with the CCL Software or Website? Contact the CCL Helpdesk:
Email: helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
Phone: 615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

Need help with a Change Request? Contact one of the Approvers or check the Change Request Guidelines.

Make sure you understand the Forum Rules
Xylob
Saturday, June 28, 2014 6:05:41 AM
Definitely liked the writing better than the art.
However... Johns has a really really bad habit of starting off awesome and then never knowing how to wrap it up, so I expect this story never have a climax and just kind of wander off into meaningless nothing with no resolution or any real impact.
Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
comicscastle
Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:47:33 AM
Jr can't hold a candle to Sr.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe

Thundercron
Saturday, June 28, 2014 12:00:02 PM
Shop at My Store
padreglcc wrote:
How are you just hearing about this? It's been all over the place for months. Anyway, he is done at Marvel, at least for the time being. Here's a pretty good interview and article with the Washington Post.

Thanks for the link. I find it funny how Junior pretty much admits in the article that his art isn't very good, and that he's kind of a hack for being more concerned with deadlines than actually doing a good job.
Xylob
Saturday, June 28, 2014 4:19:00 PM
They still payin' me? Alright... F it!
Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

comicuniversity
Saturday, June 28, 2014 4:43:38 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator
comicscastle wrote:

Agreed!

I am one of the exceptions, apparently, but I have always like JrJr. I find his art unique and dynamic. Fun to look at.
However, Romita the Senior beat the pants of him.
nacho
Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:19:21 PM
comicuniversity wrote:
comicscastle wrote:

Agreed!

I am one of the exceptions, apparently, but I have always like JrJr. I find his art unique and dynamic. Fun to look at.
However, Romita the Senior beat the pants of him.

Me too I always like his work his resent work on captain America we pretty good.
BurningDoom
Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:32:27 PM
BurningDoom wrote:

I take this comment back. I was just reading Starbrand #1 (New Universe), and J.R. jr. was doing the artwork on it, way back in '87. And it looked sloppy, too. Granted, it wasn't quite as bad and full of excess lines as it is it is today, but there were much better artists then, too.
SpidermanGeek
Monday, June 30, 2014 8:48:40 AM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
I still argue that Romita Jr.'s best work was when he was working on Spider-Man. LOVED that run.

What he produces now just seems so "rushed" (glad he actually kind of admits it too), BUT, I still think he's one of the best visual storytellers of our generation. Reading a JRjr. book isn't always pretty, but I always felt it was effortless.

And Daredevil: The Man Without Fear is still one of my favorite works of Romta Jr.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
Thundercron
Monday, June 30, 2014 11:41:40 AM
Shop at My Store
SpidermanGeek wrote:
I still argue that Romita Jr.'s best work was when he was working on Spider-Man. LOVED that run.

What he produces now just seems so "rushed" (glad he actually kind of admits it too), BUT, I still think he's one of the best visual storytellers of our generation. Reading a JRjr. book isn't always pretty, but I always felt it was effortless.

And Daredevil: The Man Without Fear is still one of my favorite works of Romta Jr.

Which Spidey run? The early 80's Amazing run, or his early 2000's Spidey run? I think some of his best work was on his 2000's Spider-Man run (including the WTC issue). But I also think his inker usually has a lot to do with how his art turns out.

I agree that his art is hit and miss. It's pretty ugly to look at when he's just drawing characters standing around, but he's very good at drawing high-energy scenes with a lot of power to them.

Nate mentioned his art sucking going back to '87. I think his earliest work on Iron Man, and his first run on Amazing was pretty good. It's his first run on Uncanny X-Men where you really start to see his current style developing in earnest, and it's pretty full-blown by the time he started his run on Daredevil with issue #250.
SpidermanGeek
Monday, June 30, 2014 12:46:55 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
Yeah, I was talking about the Volume 2 era of Spider-Man, so early 2000's.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
comicuniversity
Monday, June 30, 2014 5:02:40 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator
Thundercron wrote:
SpidermanGeek wrote:

Which Spidey run? The early 80's Amazing run, or his early 2000's Spidey run? I think some of his best work was on his 2000's Spider-Man run (including the WTC issue). But I also think his inker usually has a lot to do with how his art turns out.

I agree that his art is hit and miss. It's pretty ugly to look at when he's just drawing characters standing around, but he's very good at drawing high-energy scenes with a lot of power to them.

Nate mentioned his art sucking going back to '87. I think his earliest work on Iron Man, and his first run on Amazing was pretty good. It's his first run on Uncanny X-Men where you really start to see his current style developing in earnest, and it's pretty full-blown by the time he started his run on Daredevil with issue #250.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue_Review.aspx?article=85cb0570-700b-4071-a6a0-721a52550444
BurningDoom
Monday, June 30, 2014 7:37:16 PM
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Yeah, I was talking about the Volume 2 era of Spider-Man, so early 2000's.

I can agree with this. I actually didn't entirely hate his artwork during this period. My problem was the writer during that time (JMS). It actually seemed like J.R. tried harder with Spider-Man.