Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Trade Paperback cover descriptions
SwiftMann
Monday, August 27, 2007 8:08:30 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
This thread could probably be subtitled "Titan's Transformers reprints" but I'll try to keep it more general.

The big issue is folks voting against trade submissions with the name of the trade in the cover description. At some point on the forum it was decided this was an acceptable way to submit serialized trades since it would make it easier for folks going through the website and software to figure out which trade is which. Take a look at just about any DC/Vertigo title (Preacher, Transmet, Sandman) and you'll see that these books were all accepted with cover descriptions. This is a clean easy way to figure out what is what. I realize that this doesn't jive with the guidelines, but the guidelines haven't been updated since the trades/gn/hc tabs were created and are VERY out of date.

So, last weekend I submitted updates to all of the Titan Book's collections of Marvel's Transformers and while I did submit it, the cover description was left out of the approval. This past weekend I resubmitted the cover descriptions along with better cover scans (some were poorly cropped, some have Titan Book watermarks) and all of those were rejected. I think this was a really bad call. Not only because these submissions are the standard, but the Transformer books aren't actually numbered so the only way someone is going to be able to match them up is by title.
Batman007
Monday, August 27, 2007 2:33:47 PM
Groups: Member
SwiftMann wrote:
This past weekend I resubmitted the cover descriptions along with better cover scans (some were poorly cropped, some have Titan Book watermarks) and all of those were rejected. I think this was a really bad call. Not only because these submissions are the standard, but the Transformer books aren't actually numbered so the only way someone is going to be able to match them up is by title.

CCL is not going to accept watermarked scan period. If they do they can be sured and shut down. As for poorly cropped scans, would you trust a Database let alone purchase from a site that had images that were crooked and all different sizes? It's just more professional looking and frankly more trustworthy to have clean images.

And yes, the Guidelines need to be updated but still, having the Trade Cover Title and the Cover Description be the exact same is useless and redundant. If the Trades are in numberical order then yes, put the Title in the Cover Description.

Hope this clears things up.
SwiftMann
Monday, August 27, 2007 3:29:37 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member
Batman007 wrote:
CCL is not going to accept watermarked scan period. If they do they can be sured and shut down. As for poorly cropped scans, would you trust a Database let alone purchase from a site that had images that were crooked and all different sizes? It's just more professional looking and frankly more trustworthy to have clean images.

I wasn't submitting poorly cropped or watermarked scans, I was REPLACING them. The poorly cropped and watermarked scans are still in the database because mine were rejected.

Quote:
And yes, the Guidelines need to be updated but still, having the Trade Cover Title and the Cover Description be the exact same is useless and redundant. If the Trades are in numberical order then yes, put the Title in the Cover Description.

Of course having the Cover Title and Cover Description be the exact same is redundant. The Transformer trades are in the system under one title numerically. That's why I was requesting the cover description additions.

Either I butchered my original post or you completely misread it.
Batman007
Monday, August 27, 2007 3:34:13 PM
SwiftMann wrote:
This past weekend I resubmitted the cover descriptions along with better cover scans (some were poorly cropped, some have Titan Book watermarks) and all of those were rejected.

This was what confused me. It reads like you some of your scans were poorly cropped or had watermarks. I thought it was weird since you've been around for a long time and know what the deal is around here. Sorry.
MsMacDugle
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:57:14 AM
On the TPBs, wouldn't a Compliable format be instore by now, I mean now that we have a better program.

Okay, so TPBs are essentially a complete collection of a particular story Arc,

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if the Story Arc was in it's proper place within the current format that the cover description field would then be able to comform to the other CCL guidelines, and only be used for variant covers.

Or am I getting confused.

Issue Number 1
Variant A
Cover Description Artist responsible when more than one cover exists, per CCL guidelines.
Printing 1
Cover Price 24.99
Cover Date 8/1/2006 12:00:00 AM
Description generally I give the Story Arc & story Title here to play it safe in case the story arc hasn't been approved yet & when I discover that it has been approved, I generally remove the story arc & leave the story title, but for TPBs since they are a collection, I would state which of the series was collected within the volume I'm working on here.

Writers
Artists
Editors
Characters

Story Arcs Isn't this field here sortable? Or am I mistaken?

"God so Loved us that he gave us his only son as the perfect gift to cover all our sins & to restore us into his presence one day"
Batman007
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:58:40 PM
For Trades, the Issue Description should state what is contained in the book, literally the Reprinted Issues, special features, etc. For Trades which are sequentially numbered, the Cover Description has the Story Arc because it's usually what's printed on the Cover. For Trades that have the Story Arc contained within the Cover Title, there's no need to put the Title in the Cover Description.
Wolfie
Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:49:03 PM
What I think is a good way to add TPBs is have the book title in the cover description, except when it's the only book in the series. You wouldn't put "Civil War" in the Civil War TPB's cover description, but you would put "Guardian Devil" in the cover description of the first Daredevil TPB.

And just put "Collects Amazing Spider-Man 1-24." in the issue description field.
KingZombie
Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:10:49 PM
Batman007 wrote:
For Trades, the Issue Description should state what is contained in the book, literally the Reprinted Issues, special features, etc. For Trades which are sequentially numbered, the Cover Description has the Story Arc because it's usually what's printed on the Cover. For Trades that have the Story Arc contained within the Cover Title, there's no need to put the Title in the Cover Description.

Sorry, I didn't know that was the deal with TPBs and the cover description. I was voting no. My bad! D'oh