Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Marvel Characters » The Scarlet Spider/Spider-Man II
BurningDoom
Monday, October 08, 2007 4:40:08 AM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
Scarlet Spider
Created by: Gerry Conway & Ross Andru

Aliases: Spider-Man II, The Scarlet Spider, The Spider-Clone
Identity: Ben Reilly
Citizenship: United States
Place of Birth: None - Was Cloned in Miles Warren's Laboratory in Empire State University in New York City.
Known Relatives: Peter Parker (aka Spider-Man) is who he was cloned from, and Professor Miles Warren who later became The Jackal did the cloning process. Kaine and Spider-Cide are his clone "brothers".
Group Affiliations: The New Warriors
Known Allies:Spider-Man, The New Warriors, Mary Jane Watson-Parker,
Known Enemies:The Jackal, Spider-Cide, Kaine, Carnage, Venom, New Hobgoblin, Judas Traveller, New Doctor Octopus, New Lizard, Carrion, New Vulture.
Base of Operations:New York City
Education: Some College
1st Appearance: (as Ben Reilly) Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1, #149; (as The Scarlet Spider) Web of Spider-Man #118; (as Spider-Man II) Sensational Spider-Man vol. 1, #0
Origin: Was created as a clone of the real Spider-Man, Peter Parker, by college professor Miles Warren who later became The Jackal. As Peter's clone, he also had all of his Arachnid Abilities.
Height: Average
Weight: Average
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Brown, also seen dyed Blonde.

Powers/Weapons: Super-Human Strength, Super-Human Agility, Super-Human Reflexes, able to stick to walls, has a sixth warning sense of danger known as "Spider-Sense", and uses mechanical web-shooters to produce: webbbing, web-lines, "impact webbing", and projectile weapons known as "stingers".

History:

Professor Miles Warren blamed Spider-Man for the death of his obsession, Gwen Stacy. As a result Miles Warren's new obsession became Spider-Man. He cloned Spider-Man and forced him to fight his clone. After the incident, the clone who thought to have died actually survived. He wandered America for years living a quiet nomad life. He retained all the memories of Peter Parker up to the point he was cloned. So to Ben, he was Peter Parker. He took these years to get a grasp on the reality of his situation. Years later he reappeared in New York and back into the lives of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. This was bad timing, to say the least. Peter just got over two very emotional ordeals. The faking of his parents' return, and the near death of his Aunt May. This nearly drove Peter over the edge, because at first he thought Ben had come to claim his life. They soon formed an alliance, though, and Peter kept the life he had. Ben struggled to find a life of his own in New York, and even began a super-hero career as The Scarlet Spider. Scarlet Spider joined the The New Warriors and often teamed-up with Spider-Man during this short period, When everything was finally thought to be sorted out, Professor Miles Warren returned in the genetically enhanced form of The Jackal with a big reveal...Ben Reilly was the orignal and Peter Parker was the clone! Mary Jane was also pregnant and nearly due with Peter Parker's baby at the same time. Because of the new reveal and development with the baby, Ben Reilly took over duties as Spider-Man so Peter could focus more on his family. Ben Reilly updated the costume, which is now the very same design worn by Spider-Girl. Fans were very upset that the Peter Parker they had been reading was not Peter Parker at all, and were even more upset that Ben Reilly and not Peter Parker was now Spider-Man. Marvel tried to stick to their guns for a while with Ben Reilly in the costume, but eventually gave in to fan demands. In what was a ridiculous end to the story, the clone saga and Ben Reilly's fate was wrapped up in the 4-issue storyarc "Revelations". In this storyarc it was revealed that the original Green Goblin, Norman Osbourne, was pulling the strings of Miles Warren and others involved in the Clone Saga. Norman Osbourne up until that point was presumed dead after the Death of Gwen Stacy incident. Also in this story it was revealed that Norman was running his European branch of his company the whole time and had healed due to his Goblin Serum, and it was revealed pretty much in the same way I just told you. By the end of the story Green Goblin had killed Ben Reilly and Peter Parker was once again Spider-Man. Mary Janes baby also did not survive the birth. So after it all, Ben Reilly was a victim of bad writing, and the status quo was returned.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
spidey0vs0venom
Monday, October 08, 2007 4:04:28 PM
Groups: Member
I really need to read the Clone Saga and see why it was so bad. I was too young to really understand a comic book when this first came out, is it in TPB?
Warpath72
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:12:24 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
spidey0vs0venom wrote:
I really need to read the Clone Saga and see why it was so bad. I was too young to really understand a comic book when this first came out, is it in TPB?

Only thing I've found...
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=36fb8292-be00-4246-b268-3243a9030b23
Go on the warpath at TWR Comics!!!!!!

TWR stands for Team Warpath Racing...
Check out some of my Youtube videos of building the big-block for the project Camaro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjw61TK2YgE
SuperSoldier124
Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:01:00 PM
nope no TBP with good reasons. when i first got into comics it was right at the end of the web of death and the begining the clone saga. its was a neat idea at first but it just got way to out of hand
add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

BurningDoom
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:29:13 AM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
*Update*
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
nacho
Monday, August 09, 2010 11:58:35 PM
marvel need to bring that guy back already!