Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » DC Comics » Action comics #851
CCRob
Thursday, December 06, 2007 3:58:59 PM
Groups: Member
wow... I picked this up just because it was only 25p! I hate Superman because I find the logic of a character who can do anything and can only be killed by Kryptonite rather boring and unimaginative, even though he opened up the comic book world we have today, I still do not like him nonetheless.

Anyway, I picked this up because it was VERY cheap and I needed something to read over my lunch break at college.

And you'll never guess! I actually enjoyed it! I didnt know what on earth was going on in it with Batman and Wonder Women etc all being taken into a huge Ice Palace in some recked city, but I sure as hell thought it was a great comic.
I actually liked Superman in it too! FOR ONCE!

Can anyone inform me as to what is going on in it and where I can follow its story on from now?
Reggie
Thursday, December 06, 2007 11:10:35 PM
Action Comics #851 was part 4 of the "Last Son" story arc. Part 1 starts in Action Comics #844 and continues through #846. Then skips to #851. Part 5 finishes the arc in Action Comics Annual #11. If you liked that writing team of Geoff Johns and Richard Donner, they also did Action Comics #855-857, "Escape from Bizzaro World".

"Last Son"
AC #844 (Part 1)
AC #845 (Part 2)
AC #846 (Part 3)
AC #851 (Part 4)
AC Annual #11 (Part 5)
scaryhead
Thursday, December 06, 2007 11:40:44 PM
Im glad you gave it a shot. Amd Im even more glad you liked it. So many ppl hate Superman and dont even give it a try. Theres lots of great Superman material out there, but everyone just sees the S and suddenly starts hating. And Geoff Johns is pretty much the best writer in comics IMO.
All the comic book video game updates, discussions and roasts a nerd like you could ask for! The Comics Console on ComicAttack.net

@andrewEhurst on Twitter!

jaryd1241
Thursday, December 06, 2007 11:42:26 PM
Oh yeah I remember that one. I made the mistake of buying the 3-D version, not that great of an effect. But the story was good and so was the art. Glad you liked it.
DaLeah96
Friday, December 07, 2007 12:35:50 AM
Groups: Guru, Member, Reviews Host
Always good to see someone getting into Superman. Applause

Its kind of required around here. Big Grin

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
CCRob
Friday, December 07, 2007 12:37:58 PM
I thought it was a great comic and I shall investigate into the other titles in the 'Last Son' story arc. So thanks Reggie for stateing the issues its carried along in! Great Help! Applause

And yeah, Im glad I gave Superman a go to be honest, I thought this story with him in was good, well from this single issue I did anyway. Ive got rid of my view that he sucks now, although I dont think I will start buying his comics or get fully into him.
I am happy with what im collecting and although I liked Superman in this title, I dont think I could put up with him as collecting his comics.
MACJR
Monday, December 10, 2007 8:19:29 PM
CCRob wrote:
I thought it was a great comic and I shall investigate into the other titles in the 'Last Son' story arc. So thanks Reggie for stateing the issues its carried along in! Great Help! Applause

And yeah, Im glad I gave Superman a go to be honest, I thought this story with him in was good, well from this single issue I did anyway. Ive got rid of my view that he sucks now, although I dont think I will start buying his comics or get fully into him.
I am happy with what im collecting and although I liked Superman in this title, I dont think I could put up with him as collecting his comics.

I find that some of the story arcs are very good... and others not so good. This is true for every title out there, DC, Marvel, and the independents, though.

I have enjoyed some of the recent Superman story arcs... but the current Action Comics team makes everyone look freaky... like everyone in the book just escaped from a Looney bin. That art isn't too bad, mostly it is just the facial expressions that make me feel creeped out. Yuck.

Anyway, glad you liked that issue of Superman CCRob. Try out a few more here and there, you might find that Superman has evolved quite a bit since the 1970s Superman you probably basted your opinion on. ;)

MACJR
MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forum - For people who like to talk about science and nature, sci-fi, current events, social-political and or religious topics... or just hang out and converse in a civilized manner.
CCRob
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:45:15 PM
MACJR wrote:

Try out a few more here and there, you might find that Superman has evolved quite a bit since the 1970s Superman you probably basted your opinion on. ;)

MACJR

Haha, nah, my bad views on him come from the movies... all of them, plus his ridiculous outfit, plus the concept that he can only be killed by Kryptonite..
doesnt do it for me..
The_Ghost
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:39:41 PM
Groups: Guru, Media Host, Member
CCRob, who's your favorite character in Marvel or DC?

I'll probably start collecting Action starting next month when a new story arc starts.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
MACJR
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:14:00 PM
CCRob wrote:
MACJR wrote:

Try out a few more here and there, you might find that Superman has evolved quite a bit since the 1970s Superman you probably basted your opinion on. ;)

MACJR

Haha, nah, my bad views on him come from the movies... all of them, plus his ridiculous outfit, plus the concept that he can only be killed by Kryptonite..
doesnt do it for me..

Superman does have other weaknesses. Kryptonite is overused but not the only challenge to being Superman. Neither is he omnipotent. He has his limits.

Most of the Superman movies have been a bad joke and you should not base your opinion of Superman in the comics by the movies.

DC/Warner Brothers seldom make a good comic book character into a good movie.

I did like the first Christopher Reeve Superman movie but it was far from perfect. Superman: The Return was not too bad but not great either. All the Superman movies in the middle were a tragic mistake that should have never seen the silver screen!

Oh well.

I do hope that the JLA movie will not be a total waste of time to see.

I just saw Spider-Man 3 last night on DVD. That was pretty good. Perhaps the best Spider-Man movie yet. Now if only DC/Warner Brothers could make a decent movie!

MACJR
MACJR'S Mini-Verse² Forum - For people who like to talk about science and nature, sci-fi, current events, social-political and or religious topics... or just hang out and converse in a civilized manner.
Jim
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:40:46 PM
Superman is vulnerable to magic. And if he visits a world with a red sun he becomes powerless.
CCRob
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:33:29 PM
MACJR wrote:
CCRob wrote:
MACJR wrote:

MACJR

doesnt do it for me..

Superman does have other weaknesses. Kryptonite is overused but not the only challenge to being Superman. Neither is he omnipotent. He has his limits.

Most of the Superman movies have been a bad joke and you should not base your opinion of Superman in the comics by the movies.

DC/Warner Brothers seldom make a good comic book character into a good movie.

I did like the first Christopher Reeve Superman movie but it was far from perfect. Superman: The Return was not too bad but not great either. All the Superman movies in the middle were a tragic mistake that should have never seen the silver screen!

Oh well.

I do hope that the JLA movie will not be a total waste of time to see.

I just saw Spider-Man 3 last night on DVD. That was pretty good. Perhaps the best Spider-Man movie yet. Now if only DC/Warner Brothers could make a decent movie!

MACJR

Dont worry, I think all comic book film adaptations are bad anyway, accept the Punisher (2005) with Tom Jane
CCRob
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:34:28 PM
ErrantEntertainment wrote:
Superman is vulnerable to magic. And if he visits a world with a red sun he becomes powerless.

surely he has learnt to avoid planets with red suns though?
DarthZippy
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:20:05 PM
MACJR wrote:
MACJR

You should check out the Richard Donner cut of Superman II ... it's pretty cool.
- Steve (Owner, Operator, Packager, Shipper for Dead Fred Comics)

Ninja T-shirts and magnets are available: here
Jim
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:23:12 PM
CCRob wrote:

I think in general he does...except when those pesky Legion of Super Heroes pull him into the future where the Sun has turned red. :)
MACJR
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:06:46 PM
CCRob wrote:

I think in general he does...except when those pesky Legion of Super Heroes pull him into the future where the Sun has turned red. :)

Or a trick that was used recently, red sun grenades that temporarily weaken and disorient Kryptonians. Turns out yellow sun grenades are a nice counter to those though. ;)

It's probably a good thing no one seems to have thought to make or use a kryptonite grenade… but that would end the Superman titles, now wouldn’t it, so we can’t have that.

MACJR
Jim
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:10:23 PM
Supes need to get Star Labs to invent a Kryptonite vaccine I think. hehe
MACJR
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:25:24 PM
Supes need to get Star Labs to invent a Kryptonite vaccine I think. hehe

As much of that green stuff made it to earth, it wouldn't hurt to try to find some form of immunity.

Just wondering though, how did so much of Krypton get on the surface of the Earth in the first place? Yeah, I seen the stories that explain it but I don’t buy it. Sure, I can see some Kryptonite here and there, but as much as K shows up in the storylines you would think that an entire Krypton continent landed on the Earth.

I am in favor of Kryptonite being extremely rare in the Earth’s solar system but far more abundant in orbit around Krypton’s red star.

MACJR
Jim
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:28:31 PM
Agreed. By all accounts, if Kryptonite were this common on Earth then it seems reasonable to assume that there is even more of it on planets between here and the Kryptonian solar system. I bet there would also be an asteroid belt around the Kryptonian sun where Krypton used to be that should be full of the green stuff. That would pretty much squash the idea of him going back to his home planet like in the beginning of Superman Returns.
MACJR
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:29:45 PM
DarthZippy wrote:
MACJR wrote:
MACJR

You should check out the Richard Donner cut of Superman II ... it's pretty cool.

I've heard that but I have not seen the Donner cut yet. Superman II was a disappointment to me but it was not as bad as the next two Superman movies. They just kept getting progressively worse.

MACJR