Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Variants
JTLarsen
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:43:30 PM
Groups: Member
I'd like to make a request, please. I'm not sure why, for instance, the software refers to "Cover Titles" rather than just "Titles" (especially since we're going by indicias, NOT by cover titles). But it's definitely a problem, I think, to list "Cover Variants" rather than just "Variants." Why?

Because some variants have exactly the same covers. For instance, Batman 457 had a "000" variant. The only difference, IIRC, was the issue number was listed as "000" in the indicia. Not a cover variant.

Any other examples come to mind? Weren't there some variants that had identical covers, but came bagged with different trading cards, for instance?
Joe
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:47:30 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber
Comic Book Titles are tough. For example: The Amazing Spider-Man in our system is Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 1). It is not EXACTLY like the endicia, but is really a place holder for The Amazing Spider-Man that started in 1963.

We will be publishing our guidelines very soon in the web site but here is a bit of what we do right now:

1. Titles need to be according to the indicia unless:
A. Title starts with an article (A, An, The). We don't allow articles at the front of a title.
B. The issue is not part of the series (i.e. Annuals, Specials, etc...). Annuals will have their own Title

With Varients we consider a varient to be:

Any issue with the same (or enhanced i.e. directors cut) story line but with a different printing, or different packaging, or different cover art.

We are currently setting up guidelines, based off of community comments, and great folks like you. With our next web site upgrade, you will be able to help us with approvals, and add comments to submissions. Leaders in the community will help us to establish standards, and help us to build a database that is accurate within its standards.

Thanks JTLarsen for being a part of this. We appreciate you submissions, and comments, and look forward to having you as a leader in our community.

Joe Butler
CEO / Founder

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com

JTLarsen
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 2:27:55 PM
Joe, thanks for the reply. Your guidelines all make sense to me, and seem to be in line with precedent. Having guidelines will be very helpful. I would like to ask that we be allowed to know HOW the decision-making gets made. What reference works do you rely on, for instance? I've submitted some relatively rare UK books... but have yet to see them show up in the system. I've only submitted books I own (and therefore know exist) and that are also in Duncan McAlpine's guide to British comics.

In short, when we submit new title or new issue info, how do you guys go about verifying it for approval?
GothamResident
Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:05:56 AM
I noticed that Wonder Woman (V2) #100 only has the mass market cover. Anyone w/ a scanner have the black one w/ shiny letters that was popular for DC when they did several titles in that format?

GA #100, Superman #100, Flash #100, WW #100, and JLA #100 all were black w/ shiny covers.
I don't have a scanner or I'd put it in.

punisherfan1138
Thursday, April 05, 2007 12:35:48 PM
Joe wrote:
Comic Book Titles are tough. For example: The Amazing Spider-Man in our system is Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 1). It is not EXACTLY like the endicia, but is really a place holder for The Amazing Spider-Man that started in 1963.

We will be publishing our guidelines very soon in the web site but here is a bit of what we do right now:

1. Titles need to be according to the indicia unless:
A. Title starts with an article (A, An, The). We don't allow articles at the front of a title.
B. The issue is not part of the series (i.e. Annuals, Specials, etc...). Annuals will have their own Title

With Varients we consider a varient to be:

Any issue with the same (or enhanced i.e. directors cut) story line but with a different printing, or different packaging, or different cover art.

We are currently setting up guidelines, based off of community comments, and great folks like you. With our next web site upgrade, you will be able to help us with approvals, and add comments to submissions. Leaders in the community will help us to establish standards, and help us to build a database that is accurate within its standards.

Thanks JTLarsen for being a part of this. We appreciate you submissions, and comments, and look forward to having you as a leader in our community.

With reguards to the "Titles starting with an article" rule, last night while reading Punisher MAX #46, I noticed something interesting in the CCL ad on the back cover. There is a software preview that shows the MY COMICS/COLLECTED screen, and features entries for Amazing Spider-Man, The." Yes, there is a "The" in the title, it just comes after the name title body.

Would it be possible to still include any possible title-related articles using this method? This method would not only greatly improved our ability to stick as close as possible to the Endicia (I've never heard this word before; I hope I'm using it rightAnxious), but also - on a more personal note - help straighten out the seven (7) Punisher titles incredibley!!! Applause

Punisher, The (Vol 1) (1986)
Punisher, The (Vol II) (1987)
Punisher (Vol 1) (1995)
Punisher, The (Vol 2) (1998)
Punisher, The (Vol 3) (2000)
Punisher, The (Vol 4) (2001)
Punisher MAX (2004)

I'm looking forward to the posting of the official guidelines.
JTLarsen
Friday, April 06, 2007 1:05:06 PM
I second the "Punisher, The" format. Just for the sake of consistent record-keeping and accuracy.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Max series is not called "Punisher Max" but just "The Punisher." Yet again!
Joe
Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:41:17 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber
JTLarsen wrote:
In short, when we submit new title or new issue info, how do you guys go about verifying it for approval?

We have a very high tech way of doing this. We have specially made dice that we roll to help us make decisions.

Seriously, we use several of the online tools and offline refrences to help us. But, we rely on the users mostly. You know more about your collection than probably the people who work for the publishers do. So, if you submit a lot, we will often trust your judgment over unavailable information.

Also, when submitting titles now, be sure to include a message. New Titles take the longest to approve, because of all the research we must do. If you include a detailed comment, we will most likly approve.

Also, click the live market tab of your software and then click the quick nav button called "Review." Not working yet, but should be available in a few days where you can review your change requests, and see what was approved, why, or why not, and rate others submissions to help us to make decisions on changes.

Joe Butler
CEO / Founder

You can reach us by phone at (615) 264-4747
and you can e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com

punisherfan1138
Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:49:30 AM
JTLarsen wrote:
I second the "Punisher, The" format. Just for the sake of consistent record-keeping and accuracy.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Max series is not called "Punisher Max" but just "The Punisher." Yet again!

Thank you very much for "seconding" my motion. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who thinks that way!Applause

And as for Punisher Max, the actually is no "The in the indicia (there's that word again!) It just says Punisher in issues 1-35, and PUNISHER (ALL CAPS) in issues 36 on. additionally, there is NO volume number either. I thought having MAX follow the title would better distinguish it from the other Punisher titles (those with volume numbers), since the other titles are Marvel or Marvel Knights.
punisherfan1138
Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:52:42 AM
Joe wrote:
JTLarsen wrote:

We have a very high tech way of doing this. We have specially made dice that we roll to help us make decisions.

Seriously, we use several of the online tools and offline refrences to help us. But, we rely on the users mostly. You know more about your collection than probably the people who work for the publishers do. So, if you submit a lot, we will often trust your judgment over unavailable information.

Also, when submitting titles now, be sure to include a message. New Titles take the longest to approve, because of all the research we must do. If you include a detailed comment, we will most likly approve.

Also, click the live market tab of your software and then click the quick nav button called "Review." Not working yet, but should be available in a few days where you can review your change requests, and see what was approved, why, or why not, and rate others submissions to help us to make decisions on changes.

Thank you for the input. I will send in more requests, and make sure to write detailed comments. I wish I could send the reviewers actual scans of the indicia to better prove my point.
JTLarsen
Saturday, April 07, 2007 6:46:23 PM
Good to know that our credibility rises with our level of participation! I'll echo something I just posted elsewhere...but if you allow us to submit individual issues (with scans) at the same time we submit a Cover Title... well, I would think SEEING the scan would help lend some credibility to the request!

Also...sorry for getting the definite article wrong on Punisher. However, I do object to calling it "Punisher Max." That's not the title. "Punisher (Max)" is fine by me, since it's clear that what's in parentheses is not titular, but for clarification, the same way volume numbers are.
beldarien
Saturday, April 07, 2007 6:52:06 PM
i was thinking the same way, about sending a least 1 cover at the same time as the new title.

it's been at least three weeks , and 4 request for to add a new title, battlestar galactica classic, and it still not there.
well this time i sent with link of the comics database, to prove that is real.

but sending a cover at the same time as the new title, that will help a lot, i am sure
punisherfan1138
Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:41:23 PM
JTLarsen wrote:
Good to know that our credibility rises with our level of participation! I'll echo something I just posted elsewhere...but if you allow us to submit individual issues (with scans) at the same time we submit a Cover Title... well, I would think SEEING the scan would help lend some credibility to the request!

Also...sorry for getting the definite article wrong on Punisher. However, I do object to calling it "Punisher Max." That's not the title. "Punisher (Max)" is fine by me, since it's clear that what's in parentheses is not titular, but for clarification, the same way volume numbers are.

I'm with you.Applause
punisherfan1138
Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:03:24 PM
I just sent in some new CHANGE REQUESTS for the Punisher titles. and Yes JTLarsen, I requested they list the current series as Punisher (MAX). You're right, and that is the best way to list it.Applause
JTLarsen
Sunday, April 08, 2007 1:10:02 PM
Whew! I'd hate to be on the wrong side of a Punisher fan!
punisherfan1138
Sunday, April 08, 2007 1:17:30 PM
JTLarsen wrote:
Whew! I'd hate to be on the wrong side of a Punisher fan!

Cute. Cute bit.